“My 1st Stay Won't Be My Last”
Review of Tortuga del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tortuga del Sol
bobm128
“My 1st Stay Won't Be My Last”
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Summary: Friendly, good location, well maintained, warm & inviting hosts, good price, kitchen in each room, comfortable bed, nice pool & hot tub, nicely landscaped, continental breakfast each morning, turtles & tortoises.

The TdS, is located at the south end of the downtown commercial area (restaurants & shopping) of Palm Springs. The resort was built in the 60’s (if my sun-saturated brain correctly recalls). It has about 12 rooms, mostly surrounding the central court yard where the pool and seating areas are located. There are a couple of rooms in the back for those who seek quiet. Décor is turtles, sun, and desert. Each room has a kitchen, which includes a refrigerator, microwave, stove, sink, and utensils. The rooms are comfortable but not ultra-modern, we had a pink bath tub – retro and fun.

The pool area is well landscaped with plenty of lounge chairs. This It is clothing-optional and there were a mix of clothing levels. TdS is a great place to relax and is not a cruisy resort. TdS is great for couples, singles, and groups who want a hospitable and convivial resort destination.

The owners, Rick & Rob are friendly and take the time to make sure your stay is enjoyable. They know the area well and can direct you to most any where you need to go. They even let me pick a grapefruit off their tree. We found the guests, like the owners, to be friendly. Ages ranged from 20’s-60’s. TdS is the type of resort where you can read quietly by pool in the morning and then go out to dinner with other guests.

I highly recommend the TdS and plan on staying there again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank bobm128

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I've never stayed at a Clothing Optional resort before, so had no real pre-conceptions. The hosts (Rick & Robert) made my friend, Bob, and I feel at home from the moment they buzzed us in the gate. The facility is perfect for the kind of relaxing weekend I was looking for. The room was ok, but the entire courtyard area was exceptional. It truly was like a HUGE living room - only it smelled like flowers and the water features added an appealing soundtrack. I'll definitely go back and stay with these kind gentlemen.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank TiggrJW
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 14 April 2009

My partner and I went to Palm Springs over the Easter weekend and attended the white party. Being a bit older than many of the WP attendees, we choose to stay a little away from the center of everything at Tortuga del Sol. It is not brand new, but everything was impeccably clean, the room seemed freshly painted, the bed was extremely comfortable. We had wonderful conversations with the other guests, the pool and hot tub were clean and fresh, the attitude very relaxing and the hosts were impeccable. I couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jim_from_sf
San Francisco
Reviewed 13 November 2008

This is a nice small hotel convenient to Warm Sands area... within walking distance of the Tool Shed. We had a Pueblo suite, which was roomy with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was functional but a bit outdated. The pool area was large, had nice lounges, and had a nice spa. The hosts are very welcoming and made us feel at home. I've stayed at other gay resorts in PS and not enjoyed them as much as this hotel

• Liked — The hosts
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank gpmansf
los angeles
Reviewed 9 May 2008

My new puppy Charlie, partner and I just got back from a quick getaway to Tortuga del Sol. I have to say without reservation that if you are looking for a quick fix to let go of all the stress in your life... this is your place.

We are quite conservative and had some reservations with the clothing optional... but not one person including Ron and Rick made us feel awkward about wearing clothes.

In fact LOT's of the guest's sat naked poolside, but this felt more like a personal option than the rule of law. This is only one of the reasons we'll go back. It felt more like a gathering of people who wanted to REALLY relax, rather that a bathhouse with sun. There was absolutely NO pretense, NO embarrassment, NO worries.

The absolute charm of the place is that it's NOT corporate or perfect. Ron and Rick escaped their corporate lives, found a property and completely turned it into a GREAT welcoming place to be. After all the American dream of owning your own piece of dream is what we're all after.

For the record: We are not friends of the owner, we do not want anything free and wish nothing but the best for anyone traveling to palm springs. Read all you can about other places and go with what you want in a resort.

However... if you want to feel welcomed, cared for, and TRULY relax this is your place.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 6 March 2008

I recently stayed at Tortuga del Sol and I had the most comfortable experience! I was greeted warmly by Rob when I arrived and warmly departed with a hug from Ric. My room was just perfect for me and the pool was inviting and refreshing. Everyone I met there spoke to me and I felt very welcomed from the time I arrived until I left. The atmosphere was very relaxing and peaceful. The gentle music around the pool was a nice touch

Thanks for everything guys. If I can return, I will!

Jim
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

• Liked — The Hosts
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim047
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 February 2008

My partner and I stayed here over President's Day weekend. We have one of the Pueblo studios with a small but full kitchen (pots, pan, utensils, dishes, gas stove, small fridge, sink, etc). We like our nicely decorated room with a vantage view of the pool and hot tub. Our hosts Ric and Rob were very friendly, helpful, and courteous, and you can get a lot of reliable and thoughtful information from them on the local scenes. They recommended several terrific restaurants within walking distance so during the day, we walked downtown and explored South Palm Springs on foot. At night, you will need a car to get around because there are not too many street lights. Tortuga Del Sol's other patrons or clients (from Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco Bay area, and LA) were also friendly and fun to talk to. It's clothing optional at the resort, and the adults here are respectful of one another. At the breakfast table and patio and pool areas, we chatted about various topics, serious politics to the local gay scenes and trends. Many of us sunbathed, read, relax, and bantered around the pool. The hot tub is a great place to relax! The good continental breakfast includes bananas, oranges, milk and juices, hot coffee, hot water for tea and decaf coffee, cereals, boiled eggs, bagels and pastries. An excellent way to start your morning, but if you need a hot full breakfast, check out the Rock Garden restaurant within walking distance. The resort also has a grapefruit tree, an orange tree, and lemon tree, and some guests picked and ate these citrus fruits. We will definitely return to this special place soon!

• Liked — Friendly hosts and guests, nice hot tub, relaxing atmosphere for gay men only.
  • Disliked — the very slow toaster for toasting bagels
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple