“We loved our stay at the Orbit In”
Review of Orbit In

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Orbit In
Ranked #2 of 23 Palm Springs B&B and Inns
Reisterstown, MD
“We loved our stay at the Orbit In”
Reviewed 12 July 2010

For those of you that don’t plan on reading my whole review, I’ll cut to the chase – I can’t imagine ever staying anywhere other than the Orbit In when traveling to Palm Springs. If you want the “old Palm Springs” experience, stay here.

My husband is a bit of a nut for mid-century modern furniture and architecture. I normally plan all our vacations, but he insisted on doing the research this time and selecting the hotel. He picked the “restored” – not “renovated” or “refurbished”, but “restored” – Orbit In. I didn’t have very high expectations, but I was willing to play along. We arrived at about 5pm, and from the office I could see a group of people hanging around and in the pool with martini glasses and Dean Martin wafting out of the speakers. We were told that on weekends there is a free happy hour from 5 to 6, with wine and the house drink – the orbitini. Someone walks us to our room (one of just 9 in the entire hotel) and points out features along the way … coffee and tea available early every morning at the Orbitini Bar, refrigerator stocked with sodas by the pool, misting system at the roof line to keep things cool in the desert heat …. and of course the pool, which looked mighty good on that particular 100 degree June day.

Then he unlocks our room door, which was about 10 steps to the pool edge (as were all of the other 8 rooms), with a huge picture window right onto the pool and a stunning view of the mountains beyond. The décor was mid-century fun – I’m sure my husband could tell you the actual names of the furniture pieces, but what I noticed was the record player and stack of Frank Sinatra albums, the lava lamp, and the martini shaker and glasses. Now THOSE are some unexpected room amenities! There was an actual separate kitchen, compete with one piece frig-stove-sink-cabinet unit and Formica table. And the bathroom had original pink tile and cabinetry. None of it was fancy by today’s standards, but it was honestly restored and clean, and we thought "perfect".

Included in the rates was a very nice Continental breakfast … juices, organic granola, fresh berries, toast, bagels – that sort of thing. We enjoyed it very much, and only felt the need on one morning to go out for a hot breakfast.

The owners and staff could not have been nicer. They mingled with the guests during happy hour, and my husband really enjoyed talking with the owners and other guest about mid-century architecture and the history of the hotel.

Each evening the hotel guests would leave for dinner, but would inevitably make their way back to the hotels pool lounge chairs to watch the star show in the night sky. Truly a perfect ending to a day’s activities, and something we grew to really look forward to.

I also wanted to make a comment about the hotel’s location. It was in a neighborhood of houses and a few other similarly sized hotels, and was extremely quiet, yet it was only about a two block walk to the heart of the restaurant and shopping experience that is Palm Canyon Drive. Also adding to the “quiet” was the fact that the hotel was adult only (or at least it was the weekend we were there). You just cannot overestimate how much more pleasant an afternoon at the pool can be without kids holding cannonball competitions – nough said.

So, obviously from my review you can guess that I would give Orbit In my highest rating and would without question stay there again and/or recommend it to family and friends (actually, we already have). I can guarantee you it’s not the fanciest or most amenity ridden hotel in Palm Springs -- if that's what you are after, find another hotel. But if you’re hoping to unwind and maybe even take a giant step back in time for the weekend, you will not be disappointed at the Orbit In.

2 Thank CandBCOLE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I was tempted to NOT write a review because I don't want anyone else knowing about this little 50's gem... However, Kevin and Jeanie are such amazing hosts that I would be doing them an injustice if I didn't let everyone know about this "must stay" Palm Springs destination. If you are looking for a place that captures the allure that the desert city was built on then call them up and book a room for a few nights. While I was originally drawn to this place by the price, once you get there you realize they could charge MUCH more! The rooms are spotless, bikes and all sorts of entertainment are just part of the stay (along with a happy hour that includes the Orbitini... bet you haven't had one of those before). We stayed in the Eames Suite and felt like we walked off the streets into a time machine. Working record players (with real vinyl records), books on the furniture designers (I love knowing the back story), martini glasses and shakers in every room. These 2 did not forget a single detail (and if you find something missing, you can bet that any of their staff will gladly help you find what you need)!

And did I mention it's adults only? I love my own kid (I'm sure like many of you do) but when I get a chance to get away, I don't want to deal with someone else's kids!

Quite, fun, romantic, perfect little spot!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmschmidt31
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Staying at the Orbit Inn was a wonderful experience. From the moment we were greated at reception until the moment we left, everything about the Orbit Inn was perfect. Staying here is like stepping back in time to the 50's. Our room had a record player and fab decorations that created a lovely chilled out vibe. Although there is a 50's motif - everything feels brand new and immaculate. The room amd the pool/bar area were spotless. I don't usually spend too much time in the hotels I stay in but I made an exception here. You really don't want to leave. The owners and staff are super-friendly and the fellow guests were all charming too. The hotel is in a great location - about 5 minutes walk from shops and restaurants. I can't recommend Orbit Inn (and Palm Springs) highly enough. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan002
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 23 June 2010

I would definitely recommend this hidden paradise to anyone wanting to get away and relax for a few days! My boyfriend and I finally headed out to the Orbit In and I have to say I already want to be back! Kevin and his wife were sooo hospitable...Happy hour at 5pm everyday with delicious Orbitini's...snacks...what more can one ask for?!

Dana Point, California
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Went to celebrate an anniversary. There is no better way to experience Palm Springs than the same way coolest of the cool would have in 1957. This place is THE place to stay. Service, friendliness and vibe are all phenomenal. Even the clientele were awesome. Location, views, pool, jacuzzi, rooms, furnishings, etc -it's got it all going on. My friends from Chicago have been recommending it for years and I regret I waited so long to experience for myself. If 20th Century Desert Modernism is your thing, then this is Heaven on earth

1 Thank Mickey014
Los Angeles
Reviewed 7 June 2010

My girlfriends and I stayed here for my birthday weekend and we had the most amazing time. The Orbit In is perfectly located, its cute, clean, with a fun happy hour and the staff are BEYOND accommodating and super friendly (thank you Kevin!!). We will be back GUARANTEED...I wish we could come back next weekend. :-)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2010

This getaway was everything we had hoped for--a well deserved relaxing getaway! We were pleased with the hotel, and the staff was friendly and accommodating. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple