“Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed At”

Alcazar Palm Springs
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
“Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed At”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Hotel?! I don't think so. The Alcazar no more than a motel of the cheapest design covered in white paint. Many of the hotels in Palm Springs are remodeled motels, however, Alcazar is an epic fail on every level. I was stunned when we arrived and found our room was a sterile box with a bed and a cheap IKEA desk. The bathroom was awkward and again total sterile. We were unimpressed to find cockroaches in the bathroom on two occasions, stained towels, and a mold-stink shower curtain that reeked. The rooms lack any basic "amenities" - that is if you consider a safe and coffee pot to be luxury items, I don't, I consider them standard. Alcazar offers NO amenities in terms of food, drink, or service. The pool towels were constantly out and we (along with other guests) had to ask the 1 staff member to replenish them. There was a jug of warm water and plastic cups poolside but that is it. I get it, you don't have a restaurant , bar or liquor license - but if you're going to up-sell people so hard on the website then at least offer some service! Even my most even keeled bf noted several times how dumpy the pool was and how different the reality of the motel was verses the website.
When we checked out the 1 staff member didn't ask us how our stay was or if we had enjoyed our weekend. Again, a fail on customer service.
I have been going to Palm Springs since I was a child, I am a loyal customer to places/people, but feel totally duped by the Alcazar website. It particularly sucked since it was my bf's & my anniversary, however, instead of enjoying a romantic weekend at a boutique hotel we felt like we were stuck at a desert hostel.
With so many other great actual HOtels in the area, don't waste your time or money at Alcazar...total dumpy joke.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank HeatherC81
Robert H, General Manager at Alcazar Palm Springs, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Dear Heather C81,
I apologize that your experience was anything short of wonderful. If we could have the opportunity to welcome you back to experience one of our other room styles that are not all white which are cozier rooms with carpeting, wood furniture and fireplaces which are a nice amenity during the colder months.
We continue to add additional amenities to the property to enhance the Alcazar experience such as Alcazar robes, Espresso throughout the day and Townie bikes to explore Palm Springs.
As for the palm beetles, they are a challenge for everyone in the Desert during the Spring/Summer season due to the dryness and heavy pruning.
I’ve reviewed your comments with the entire staff, including our housekeeping team to make sure our towels and linens are pristine and spotless.
We do try to learn from every one of our reviews. I wish that I had the opportunity to resolve the issues that are in my control during your stay.
I do hope you consider a return visit to Alcazar Palm Springs. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Robert Hunt/GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in the hotel. The rooms are a good size and have a nice modern feel to them. We were there in the height of summer during a heat wave but we were 100% comfortable in the room with the AC on. Cheeky's (the restaurant attached to the hotel) is delicious. And the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Michele,
We at Alcazar Palm Springs are please to hear your feedback from your visit and appreciate you taking the time to do so.
When you are ready to plan another trip to Palm Springs please let us know in advance so we can choose a different room style for you to experience from one our various rooms types.
We look forward to seeing you again at Alcazar.
Robert
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a weekend getaway with my husband and would definitely go back. Great value given the wonderful service, great pool area, and location (so many great boutiques, design shops, restaurants walking distance). The pool and grounds were so well-kept and the setting was so cozy and romantic. It felt like we were house sitting at a wealthy friend's Spanish-style estate rather than staying at a hotel. Getting pastries, tea, and espresso in main lobby was a plus - the manager was so accommodating by giving me a decaf from his secret stash one afternoon. I highly recommend the pizza at Birba and breakfast at Cheeky's (both are next door).

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

I first stayed at this hotel over a year ago and now it's the only hotel I will stay at while visiting Palm Springs. The layout and design of the hotel has a lush Spanish feel to it...very simple and tasteful. The rooms are modern, spacious, and the beds are sooo comfortable. It's not a large hotel so it has a nice small feel to it...not a corporate run hotel. You even get real keys for your room and not key cards! The staff are all extremely friendly and happy to help. Pool is awesome...great music playing, umbrellas available to block the sun, and the staff continuously replenished the supply of pool towels. The only downside for me is that I have to eventually check-out...

• Stayed June 2013
Montclair, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

It is a charming hotel!! I really loved it. Really recommend it!! There are many affordable and trendy eating spots nearby. The pool is great for a night dip! (by experience). The bed is confortable but the pillows are horrible. Bring your own pillows! This hotel does not have a fitness center, that was bad. All in all it was a wonderful experience. Will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Very nice stylish hotel. Great location within walking distance to trendy eatting spots nearby.Just the right size for a nice relaxing getaway.Rooms tastefully decorated and super clean. Pool area nicely maintained and open late until midnite, great for a late night dip!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna2360
Robert H, General Manager at Alcazar Palm Springs, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Hello Anna2360,
I'm glad Alcazar was was part of your Palm Springs getaway and you enjoyed yourself.
We at Alcazar appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and hope you include us in your future getaways....
The Alcazar staff!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

We were part of a "wedding takeover" this past weekend and we would go back to this place in a heartbeat! The atmosphere is so charming; anything but "corporate". I (we) stay about 30 days a year in "corporate" hotels so this was refreshing. The may sound funny, but it made me smile to have a "real key" and NOT the modern hotel slide keys. The grounds and pool area were beautiful. Ivy was everywhere and neatly trimmed. We added to our "wish list" (stuff to add to our home if we ever won the lottery) the large water screen in front of the pool and some kind of fire rock thing that was on the side of one building.

The rooms are nice, but not 5 star. Our room (room 17) was very large, but simple. The bed was extremely comfortable. Alcazar is also within easy walking distance (two blocks) to the main downtown area. If we ever get back to Palm Springs, this is our hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple