“Palm Springs Gem”

Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Los Angeles
“Palm Springs Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

We just got back from a three night getaway at Alcazar and we must say IT WAS FANTASTIC. On top of an unbelievably inexpensive nightly rate, we were given a room upgrade as soon as we got there. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous with a super low key vibe. The staff was beyond helpful and having Birba and Cheeky's right next door was an added treat. This is the perfect spot for people looking for a quiet, peaceful trip to the desert. We will without a doubt be staying here again SOON.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11 and despite it being next to the courtyard was very quiet and private.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Columbus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

The physical property and grounds are well represented by the web site in my opinion. The pool area was nice and, after an adjustment period, the white on white room was fun. The folks at Alcazar do a terrific job with the small subtle details. Much appreciated.

I chose the property because the website promised a low key, quiet experience. This is where I start to find fault. I believed the property was a kid free zone and learned differently. As an unwilling participant in a lively game of Marco Polo, I went to the desk to ask if my assumption was incorrect .. it was. This is not an adult only motel. I retreated to my room (#11) for some quiet time but, well, young voices travel. *sigh*

On one day a group of 7 young LA Clone Girls arrived poolside and basically took command of the space. Moved chairs to thier liking, took 2 towels each, placed magazines, etc. and then walked out the gate to breakfast. As with any motel, deck chairs can be at a premium on busy weekends, so as other guests looked for a chair, these 7 remained unoccupied, but "reserved." I just didnt expect that minset at Alcazar.

I typically travel alone and select hotels that promise quiet, low key, non scene, adults only accomodations. On this occaccion, I fell prey to the pretty pictures and didnt look close enough. Although the Alacazar is nice enough, I would not stay again.

Room Tip: If open, do enjoy Birba restaurant. Very very good.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MVS_Ohio
West Hollywood, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I almost hesitated in writing a review because I love this place so much and don't want to see it get overbooked, but The Alcazar and its staff deserve nothing but the highest of praise. I live in West Hollywood and needed to get out of LA for a break a few weeks ago and after studying reviews online, I picked the Alcazar for a weekend get away. First, the location is close to everything downtown and I was not looking to stay in a Resort away from Palm Springs nightlife so their proximity was perfect and the rates reasonable. The hotel is charming, immaculate, stylish and more than fairly priced. It is not a Resort but a boutique hotel, 50 rooms nestled in the Design District near stylish shops, restaurants and the hub of downtown P.S. It is a peaceful, well thought out setting and made me relax the moment I checked in. Elsee and Kasha at the front desk were gracious and appeared sincerely interested in attending to my needs when I arrived. As I was late for check in, Elsee asked me if I could wait 5 minutes so that she could turn on the AC and cool the room down for me. The rooms are simply white, modern Spanish Colonial, well appointed with new large flat screen TV, tastefully modern artwork, crisp linens and comfortable bedding. The pool is lovely, ample amount of lounges, chilled mineral water and plenty of large spa towels. The grounds are manicured and serene.
A very attentive and charming General Manager, Robert introduced himself as he was checking things around the pool and we chatted for ten minutes about the area, restaurant recommendations, etc. He and the staff made me feel catered to and pampered, remembering my first name and Robert even noticed my getting a bit sunburned and checked to see if I was wearing sun block.
The Alcazar is an oasis in the lovely desert, well priced and provided such a relaxing stay that I returned this past weekend for Saturday and Sunday and stayed on to Monday.

It is a chic, comfortable home away from home and offers hospitality at its very best! I cannot wait to return, probably again this weekend.

Room Tip: If you are on budget, even the smallest rooms are comfy. The place is absolutely Wonderful!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
La Palma, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband and I stayed this past weekend for two nights in room 9. The hotel is lovely. Clean, pristine... Lovely. I loved the lighting in the courtyard at night. The salt water pool is lovely for relaxing during the day. The manager even stopped by to say hello and was so kind. Such a gentleman.

Out only complaint would be the noise level in the rooms. We could hear our neighbors next door... We heard loud top 20s music playing in the courtyArd/pool right outside our room until 10pm... And on Sunday morning heard housekeeping or maintenance dragging something with wheels they the courtyard. All this noise made for me feeling not well rested. I felt as though I got more rest laying out by the pool then in my too . Which was. True let down.

3 stars for friendly employees Nd beautiful grounds... But I think I cherish my sleep too much to try staying again. Not a bad place if you are a heavy sleeper.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Hotel?! I don't think so. The Alcazar no more than a motel of the cheapest design covered in white paint. Many of the hotels in Palm Springs are remodeled motels, however, Alcazar is an epic fail on every level. I was stunned when we arrived and found our room was a sterile box with a bed and a cheap IKEA desk. The bathroom was awkward and again total sterile. We were unimpressed to find cockroaches in the bathroom on two occasions, stained towels, and a mold-stink shower curtain that reeked. The rooms lack any basic "amenities" - that is if you consider a safe and coffee pot to be luxury items, I don't, I consider them standard. Alcazar offers NO amenities in terms of food, drink, or service. The pool towels were constantly out and we (along with other guests) had to ask the 1 staff member to replenish them. There was a jug of warm water and plastic cups poolside but that is it. I get it, you don't have a restaurant , bar or liquor license - but if you're going to up-sell people so hard on the website then at least offer some service! Even my most even keeled bf noted several times how dumpy the pool was and how different the reality of the motel was verses the website.
When we checked out the 1 staff member didn't ask us how our stay was or if we had enjoyed our weekend. Again, a fail on customer service.
I have been going to Palm Springs since I was a child, I am a loyal customer to places/people, but feel totally duped by the Alcazar website. It particularly sucked since it was my bf's & my anniversary, however, instead of enjoying a romantic weekend at a boutique hotel we felt like we were stuck at a desert hostel.
With so many other great actual HOtels in the area, don't waste your time or money at Alcazar...total dumpy joke.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank HeatherC81
Robert H, General Manager at Alcazar Palm Springs, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Dear Heather C81,
I apologize that your experience was anything short of wonderful. If we could have the opportunity to welcome you back to experience one of our other room styles that are not all white which are cozier rooms with carpeting, wood furniture and fireplaces which are a nice amenity during the colder months.
We continue to add additional amenities to the property to enhance the Alcazar experience such as Alcazar robes, Espresso throughout the day and Townie bikes to explore Palm Springs.
As for the palm beetles, they are a challenge for everyone in the Desert during the Spring/Summer season due to the dryness and heavy pruning.
I’ve reviewed your comments with the entire staff, including our housekeeping team to make sure our towels and linens are pristine and spotless.
We do try to learn from every one of our reviews. I wish that I had the opportunity to resolve the issues that are in my control during your stay.
I do hope you consider a return visit to Alcazar Palm Springs. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Robert Hunt/GM
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in the hotel. The rooms are a good size and have a nice modern feel to them. We were there in the height of summer during a heat wave but we were 100% comfortable in the room with the AC on. Cheeky's (the restaurant attached to the hotel) is delicious. And the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Michele,
We at Alcazar Palm Springs are please to hear your feedback from your visit and appreciate you taking the time to do so.
When you are ready to plan another trip to Palm Springs please let us know in advance so we can choose a different room style for you to experience from one our various rooms types.
We look forward to seeing you again at Alcazar.
Robert
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a weekend getaway with my husband and would definitely go back. Great value given the wonderful service, great pool area, and location (so many great boutiques, design shops, restaurants walking distance). The pool and grounds were so well-kept and the setting was so cozy and romantic. It felt like we were house sitting at a wealthy friend's Spanish-style estate rather than staying at a hotel. Getting pastries, tea, and espresso in main lobby was a plus - the manager was so accommodating by giving me a decaf from his secret stash one afternoon. I highly recommend the pizza at Birba and breakfast at Cheeky's (both are next door).

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple