The Alcazar is right in the centre of central Palm Springs, ideally located between the two major roads which run through the town. Which makes it in a ideal location to explore the town by either foot or bike, should you choose to make use of the bikes provided by the hotel.
We were using Palm Springs as a stop point between our drive from San Diego to Las Vegas so we only stayed for one night. The hotel has free self drive parking right at the hotel complex which is a plus and from the exterior it looks like an interesting property. The interior of the property matches it as well. It has been refurbished recently and and been decorated in cool white some quirky little artistic touches and oddities to look at in your room.
The small courtyard area is a nice place to have a drink and a chat, it is locked at night but its pointless as anyone can put a hand through the ornate ivy like door and open it from the other side! The other clientele appear to be pretty discreet people and quiet (although there was 2 children running around, they werent too noisy) The gardens are immaculately kept and the room and public areas are spotlessly clean.
While it does have its positives the rest don't match the rest. When I say refurbished, I should clarify that this means, paint, new desk, chair and TV. Our bathroom whilst completely functional was a little old fashioned. The room whilst not exactly small wasn't exactly large, considering it's boutique hotel aspirations. no bigger than any chain brand hotel like a Premier Inn (UK) or Holiday Inn Express (USA)
We were in room 14 and the walls must of been cardboard thin. We could hear vast amounts of our neighbours conversation and they probably could of ours. The coffee and pastries as offered in the morning was a few, very generic cheap pain au chocolat and some average coffee. I know it is at no extra cost and I'm not expecting freshly baked but at least a small selection of different pastries would have been sufficient, and a coffee worth drinking, it just made them look very cheap.
The receptionist at check in was pleasant enough but hardly charming and didn't explain that the reception was a separate building to the rooms until after we had left out of the wrong door. The different receptionist in the morning barely even looked up at check and her manner bordered on rude. For a country which usually has fantastic if a little over the top service, this was making it look very poor.
Now we come to the crux of the problem....For one night with no extras we paid just under $200 for the one night. I just don't think it is worth that. particularly when you look at what you get for it. a comparatively small room with ignorant service. Whilst it does have its good points I just don't think it matches it price. Close yet so far. I think it should stop trying to look like a getaway hotel for LA's 'cool types' and improve on some fundamentals.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2011 this 34 room boutique hotel, formally known as the Pepper Tree Inn, has undergone an exquisite redesign. Modern & sleek, featuring imported Italian Linens, flat screen TV's, fireplaces, poolside patios and Mountain View's. This is the third addition to Birba and Cheeky's restaurant family - making the triangle complete. Current hotel amenities include Coffee/Espresso/Tea/Juice/pastries, Townie Bikes, Business center and wireless internet throughout. Adjoining property offers breakfast, lunch, dinner, cocktails and a hotel all in the heart of the super hip uptown design district! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Alcazar Palm Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alcazar Palm Springs Hotel Palm Springs
- Pepper Tree Palm Springs
- Pepper Tree Hotel Palm Springs