“Perfect for a Cozy French Brunch”
Review of L'Atelier Cafe

L'Atelier Cafe
Ranked #37 of 337 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We just stumbled upon this little French bistro while exploring Old Town Palm Springs - definitely glad we stopped in! I had the Campagnode Quiche - potatoes, bacon, tomato, mushroom and onion, and my husband had the Croque Madame, served with vichyssoise. Both entrees were perfect! We finished with an assortment of macaroons, perfectly baked. The owners, Raphael and Charlitte, are very friendly and helpful, service is excellent!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Who knew that a French couple would land here!
Who knew you could find better French baked goods in California than you can in Ontario?

This is a great little spot, almost too popular. We got there for Sunday lunch and it was packed. Grabbed the last table (outside in 40+ degree C weather) and took about ½ hour to get our food, after ordering (to be fair, they gave us the heads up on the delay).

I had the charcuterie platter and he had the brie baguette on sourdough olive bread. The platter was lovely, with good cheese, a slice of various delicious cold cuts and a good chunk of pâté forestier (my favourite!) with a few slices of baguette. My only complaint is that there wasn’t enough bread for the pâté and the cold cuts. A little more would have been appreciated.

The service was good, provided by Charlotte, one of the co-owners. You could tell that she was a little overwhelmed, but she and her partner (a very good pastry chef) appreciated that I spoke French and we shared our stories while settling up the bill.

I walked away with a cannelé and and almond croissant in my bag and both were very tasty, traditionally made viennoiseries. Would have loved to return again and explore a little more of their menu; their towering quiche in particular ☺

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have been enjoying this wonderful cafe for over one year. As locals we see places come and go...but not with L'Atelier Cafe. We eat there at least twice a week and have managed to go through the entire menu at least once!

If we could rate it higher than five stars...we would give it six stars!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

It's a charming little place, I'm glad we found this spot when we decided to stop for lunch. I had one of the best quiche I've ever tried for a while, same goes for the tart tatin - I must admit the french food here is authentic and fantastic. Charlotte and Raphael are very kind and the service was great. If you want to taste foreign food just go there !

1  Thank Vincent W
Reviewed 5 May 2014

As a test I ordered and prepaid for catering, a salad and appetizer plate, $77 for four. The order was not ready when promised. I was asked if I wanted dessert. I ordered two lemon bars, a $4 jar of mustard and a cookie. For thirty minutes I stood at the counter with my wallet in my hand. When food finally came the owner carried my order to my car. She never asked for dessert payment and I assumed it was a small gift for the long delay and a thank you for my $77 business.
Over a week later she called and said she had made an error and I MUST come and pay $15 which I would have gladly done had it not been necessary to throw out the appetizer dish they prepared. The lettuce was completely wilted, the cheese stiff and greasy. In fact the dish contained not one healthy food item. Next I was threatened by SEVERE measures for theft!

LAtelier-Deli, Owner at L'Atelier Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

This Review has been report to Tripadvisor. Here's why : This person left without paying, which indeed can happen but after a call reminder this person told me she was sorry and that she'll come tomorrow or the day after and that the food was great and enjoyed by everyone, she even offer me to bring back the plates. 3 weeks and still no news.

I'm asking, what '' the french hospitality '' should have done ?

As a restaurant owner I've decided to remind this person that paying before leaving was in our policy, but this time I had a very rude reply and threat saying that it's was a shame to act like i did and precise : '' I can't wait to post a review on Yelp or trip advisor !! '' well she did !
Of course I learn now that : she didn't like the food anymore, lettuce wilted, she throw the food away etc.. ( 3 weeks ago she loved everything ) , that she thought it was a gift ! ( please !! ).

I'm glad to read these other reviews who replied for me on the food and service standard at L'Atelier Cafe.

By the way, 1 week ago this person, send a friend to pay her due for her. This nice person was sorry to learn this story and that he had to come himself to pay..

After reading this DECEITFUL review, I've contacted Tripadvisor support for moderation.