“Wow!! Nothing else.”
Review of The Desert Star

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Desert Star
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We - a group of 3 friends - had made a reservation by phone in advance. Making a very short trip to SoCal, we planned to stay only one night at Desert Star Hotel in Palm Springs. I had talked with Davy, and afterwards he immediately sent a confirmation by email. Very good first impression.

After a long drive we arrived at DSH at the beginning of the evening. Reality was even better than our expectations, having read reviews on TripAdvisor and seen their website:
- very warm welcome by owners Davy and Walter
- very spacious, beautifully decorated and functional bungalow (we stayed in bungalow 4, which was big enough for the three of us)
- the whole place itself was everything that you would want arriving in a hotel after a long trip: beautiful neighborhood, unique architecture, great color scheme, small-scale, personal attention, a total joy.

Dave and Walter are - what we would say in Holland - the salt in the soup. They make the difference. Thanks for allowing us to check out at any time the next day; thanks for your warm welcome and help (and Davy: you do make a great mojito! And I still suspect that you quickly sneaked out to get some fresh mint leaves somewhere.... what a service!).

I can say that we were truly sorry that we couldn't stay more than one night. Palm Springs is not next door to us, but you will definitely see us back!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Harry1962

Reviewed 7 January 2009

Has to rate as the best hotel I've ever stayed in. As a devotee of all things mid century, it's a great 50's building and pool appointed with the real deal furniture ( no knock offs like so many...and no kitsch cluttering up the room...see the orbit), white linin, clean, airy, and relxed. Davey the owner knows that to leave you be is sometimes the nicest thing on a getaway.... but when you do need any help he's a really nice guy, very relaxed...it soon rubs off.
Good location too, away from the tacky strip of palm canyon. Honestly cant rate this any higher. Fantastic. Could happily live there!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KLSLondon
Reviewed 6 March 2008

A low key relaxing hide-out. Shady back area meant I could be outside and enjoy the mountains while working (I was on a 3 day solo writing retreat.) Friendly management, quiet neighborhood and great location. Could walk to good restaurants and not be amongst the tourist set.

This place isn't for everybody (thank god). Some might find it sparse and too simple for the price but if you're after autonomy, peace and don't mind being on the edge of town I recommend this place.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank moniker4me
Reviewed 30 December 2006

My husband and I have visited the Desert Star twice and couldn't have been happier. The accomodations are very roomy, offer great private patios and very cool furnishings. The owners, Davy and Walter, are exceptionally nice and very accomodating. Stay on a weekend and be treated to a yummy breakfast box to enjoy poolside. And the view of the mountains from the pool can't be beat! We highly recommend a stay at the Desert Star, you will love it!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrc&nrc
Reviewed 19 September 2006

I got the chance to check out this hotel while searching for a place to hold my sister's wedding. It is fabulous! It's retro without being kitchy and the rooms are very minimalist and clean. The guys who run this place are totally awesome too. I would also recommend this hotel for a small wedding.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank MissChris
Reviewed 11 September 2006

Words don't describe the extent of my satisfaction for this perfect get-away. The guys who own it are so accomodating and kind, the bungalows - which were once apartments - have been rennovated into really cool retro-modern, immaculately clean and comfortable little studios, complete with a kitchen, living room and little backyard. The pool side atmosphere and views were amazing. The generosity of our hosts was outstanding and unmatched and I will return again and again. THANKS!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank shannonb
Reviewed 11 September 2006

I spent my bachelorette weekend at the Desert Star Bungalows and all of us enjoyed the best weekend ever. Our hosts were the most accomodating, pleasant, sweetest men and we couldn't have asked for more helpful service or a more friendly atmosphere. The rooms were amazing, like little apartment with the cutest furniture. I honestly can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay, the hotel and the owners. Thank you so much for the best weekend of my life. I will definitely be staying there again!

Stayed: September 2006