“excellent place to stay !!!”
Review of Old Ranch Inn

Old Ranch Inn
Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
los angeles, ca
“excellent place to stay !!!”
Reviewed 3 September 2007

I found the Old Ranch Inn online while searching for motels in Palm Springs, and I couldn't have been luckier in finding it.
It is a beautifully restored motel, with 8 rooms around a pool.
The owners, Larry and Ed, are gracious and very friendly.
(One day lying by the pool on a very hot afternoon, Ed came by with bottles of cold water for the guests.)
They did a wonderful job restoring the motel, and the room I was in was very plush and comfortable, cooled by an amazing completely quiet air conditioner with a remote control.
The location is prime, walking distance to the downtown Palm Springs area, and as it happened there was the weekly Thursday night street fair when I was there, and it was a pleasant evening walk.
(Food, music, crafts, people watching !)
There are several good restaurants walking distance also, not to mention a coffee house.
I feel fortunate that I found this place, and am already looking foreward to staying when I go to Palm Springs again.

• Liked — quiet, comfortable, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
8 Thank beatdog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Hebrew first
Cleveland, oh
Reviewed 2 September 2007

We arrived in Palm Springs at the end of August for a week's stay. This was our first time at the Old Ranch Inn. We've been trying to stay at smaller inns in the area and I think we have found the one for the rest of our trips to the area. When we arrived one of the owners Larry was there to greet us. He was very hospitable and showed us around the beautiful property. The grounds were gorgeous and very private. Lots of citrus trees and hummingbirds flying galore. The rooms were amazing! Just like staying in your best friends guest room! Very nice decorating, clean, kitchenette with fridge, microwave and sink. (Even a martini shaker and wine opener!) The owners Ed and Larry were very accomodating, from music and bottled water at poolside to dinner resevations. We would highly recommend this property to everyone. Our search is over and this will be our Palm Springs spot. Thanks to Ed and Larry for a great week!

• Liked — quiet, relaxation
  • Disliked — nothing
5 Thank taminaco
Fremont, CA
Reviewed 20 August 2007

We found the Old Ranch Inn through TripAdvisor. All of the glowing recommendations are true!! This place is a must stay!! We were in the area for a family party, but wanted to combine the visit with a retreat to de-stress. The Old Ranch is definitely the place to accomplish this. From my phone conversation with Ed while confirming our reservation to their hospitality upon arrival, this place is top-notch. Since our stay was brief, Ed arranged for an early check-in, so we could "start de-stressing" ASAP. The rooms were gorgeous! We felt so at-home. The location is a 2 block walk to downtown. We lounged in the lovely pool area and enjoyed chatting with the other guests. Upon Ed's departure for the day, he stocked our room with additional ice and brought us ice-cold bottled waters. After a walk into town for an excellent dinner, we came back to relax outside and star-gaze over margaritas. We had the pool area entirely to ourselves! We felt as if we were house-sitting for "that friend with the incredible backyard". In the morning, I enjoyed pampering myself in the large bathroom, while my boyfriend relaxed outside and read while indulging on the continental breakfast. We did not want to go home. We are already looking at our calendar, to plan our next trip to the Old Ranch. Thank you, Ed and Larry, for your gracious hospitality!!

Stayed August 2007
5 Thank BayAreaTraveler16
Fresno
Reviewed 19 August 2007

The Old Ranch Inn is a wonderful place to stay. The owners are very attentive to your every need and have great tips for places to go and things to see. The rooms are perfectally decorated and very comfortable. There is no better way to beat the HOT summers in Palm Springs than a swim in the pool or sitting in the shade under the grapefriut tree in the courtyard. The Inn is quite and peaceful and in easy walking distance to down town. We stayed there last year and had a great time as well. For us, no trip to Palm Springs is complete without a stay at the Old Ranch Inn.

• Liked — The atmosphere and the way the owners make welcome and at home.
  • Disliked — Having to leave.
3 Thank qzpm
Lancashire
Reviewed 17 August 2007

I researched our holiday extensively and after reading many reviews booked the Old Ranch Inn for 7 nights in August. We were so delighted with everything about our holiday - the room, the surroundings and the famous hosts, Ed and Larry. The place was clean, provided all the information needed about the local areas and both hosts provided helpful information about restaurants and activities in Palm Springs. It really was so lovely to wake up to fresh coffee and fruit / buns for breakfast and just relax around the pool in the idyllic setting. The room itself was very comfortable with a fantastic bed, you can watch DVD's or eat at many of the great restaurants only a five minute walk from the Inn. During our stay we saw people come and go as most people only stayed for a couple of nights. I'm just so glad we were there for 7 nights.

• Liked — The fact that it had 8 rooms - a real small retreat.
  • Disliked — That we had to leave.
2 Thank LancashireMustang
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2007

It's all a bit hit and miss booking accommodation - even with the help of the excellent Trip Advisor. The Old Ranch Inn's OTT comments seemed to be too good to be true. BELIEVE THEM! Larry and Ed have the perfect recipe for a charming, hospitable and restful experience that we didn't equal anywhere in our 3 weeks in the States. Were we to win the lottery next week it would not be the Maldives we'd go to refect on our good fortune but back to this little piece of Paradise in the desert.

• Liked — Hospitality of hosts
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank HelenLytham
Santa Ana, CA
Reviewed 12 August 2007

I have been spending several weekends this summer in Palm Springs. A couple of times I've rented private houses (which were very nice), that had private pools, a great selling point for me. Trouble is, they are extremely expensive. I came upon The Old Ranch Inn on TripAdvisor and was, at first, skeptical because of the small pool. I wondered if it would be crowded. Well, I gave it a try this weekend and I had the pool to myself most of the time. What a charming, beautiful place. All the compliments on this site are the absolute truth. Ed and Larry are just the friendliest people. The rooms are beautiful. I had a room with a cute little kitchenette and the bathrooms are huge. WiFi, too!

One of the things I like about this property is that there are only 8 rooms, and most of them open onto the pool. There are nice loungers, hummingbird feeders so you can see these little things zipping around all day long. Out by the pool, they play soothing music and there are a couple of fountains. There is a continental breakfast in the morning. Pool toys include nice float mats. From one side of the pool you get a lovely view of the mountains. There is also a little patio out back, which I didn't use, but did dry my towel out there!

And to top everything off, the rates are very reasonable; a third of what I have been paying for the other places! I've already booked a return trip. I'm very impressed with this property. Feels like a friend's house, really. I hope to come back often.

• Liked — Beautifully kept up. Quiet. Friendly.
  • Disliked — Bed a little hard for my taste.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo