“A true "Desert Oasis"”

Ranked #1 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reading, UK
“A true "Desert Oasis"”
Reviewed 23 November 2007

I am an Airline employee and as you would expect ,have extensively travelled the world, staying at mostly large well known hotels. I have always used trip advisor to get the views of places and hotels, before I go, to assist me in my choices of destinations and hotels.
I read about the Desert Riviera and this persuaded me to book a week.
On arrival at the hotel, what a nice change to be greeted by the owner (Larry) by our first names! He made checking in a pleasure after such a long journey ( assisted by a beer and some wine ).
The room was large with everything very "fresh" and tastefully decorated with a 50's theme. The bed was huge with a mattress comforter which was quickly used.
In the morning we opened the door and straight on to the pool area and the back drop of the Mountains, what a view.
Next day got our bearings thanks to advise from Larry, who then suggested some resturaunts. We chose mexican and Larry booked it all up for us. That night we were picked up by the stretched limo and taken to the resturaunt, got a great table, in full view of the live band. What a great night (Margartta's a speciality so make sure limo picks you back up). On coming back at night time the fire pit was alight and a few drinks and some good stories about how the day went was shared with Larry and Patti. Who could not have been better hosts.
Enjoyed so much we extended our stay.

• Liked — Everything was just right and was fully supported by Larry (Hotel Owner).
  • Disliked — Not enough time there
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank GlenMac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Edmonton
Reviewed 22 November 2007

Two friends and I stayed at the Desert Riviera for a total of 5 days in November. Initially, we stayed in room #10 - the only room that can accommodate 3 adults. On our return visit, we stayed in 2 seperate rooms.
Overall, we thought the hotel had been accurately reviewed on Trip Advisor. The rooms, pool and grounds are well maintained and clean. They have been nicely renovated in a manner that respects the original style of the hotel (early 60's). We were impressed with the attention to detail includiing, for example, extra hooks in the bathroom for pool towels, a tile "shelf" that nicely held 3 toiletry bags, a blender in the kitchen and more.
As people have indicated, we found Larry and Judy to be very accommodating. For example, Larry offered to drive us to dinner one evening, a welcome offer after a day of hiking in the desert. He made sure we had plenty of candles while we sat by the pool in the evening and that we had extra light to help us through our scrabble game after it became dark - all without being asked.
Certainly, there is a "friendly" atmosphere at the hotel. People gather by the fire pit in the evening and are generally quite sociable. We do not tend to participate in these types of gatherings, prefering instead to spend time on our own. This wasn't a problem. Different styles are easily accommodated at the Desert Riviera.
The hotel is on the main roadway - Palm canyon Drive and we were aware of traffic noise. It did not bother us and didn't interfere with our sleep. If might, however, be an issue for someone who was sensitive ot noise or who was seeking peace and quiet.
We liked the location. We are walkers and enjoyed the walk to the main part of town for dinner each night. The walk took us about 20 minutes each way and the street lighting is poor. Some people might think the walk is too long but we thought it was a perfect bit of exercise before dinner and a perfect end to the day.
We loved the Desert Riviera and would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank Edythe
tucson
Reviewed 15 November 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Desert Riviera on our way to LA from Tucson and came back on the return trip because we were so pleased. Everyone running the place was warm, friendly, and helpful, and the rooms were comfortable, spotless, and well appointed. Staying at the Desert Riviera was a big part of why we enjoyed Palm Springs so much and we can't wait to go again.

Greg C. and Susan F.

Stayed November 2007
doverdog
Reviewed 29 October 2007

It is hard not to reiterate what everyone else says about this spectacular little hotel. It is exactly what you read - immaculate, funky, beautiful, and unique. So instead I'll tell you what the staff did for us. My husband and I arrived in a rented vintage volkswagon camper van, that had started stalling from Joshua Tree to Palm Springs. It was a hot day, our nerves were thin due to the stalling, and when we finally puttered up the Desert Riviera, we were immediately welcomed by Larry with a cold beer for my husband, which he so needed. Long story short, we planned on staying just one night before heading to San Clemente, but between the car problems, coupled with the fact we simply could not bring ourselves to leave this gem, we decided to stay two nights. We lounged by the pool, enjoyed the mountain views, we took the cruiser bikes out for a self guided architecture tour, and we slept in in the luxurious bed. Judy and Bob were delightful, and it was really fun to take the limo to dinner in town, and not worry about drinking and driving. To top everything off, Larry knows a little something about old vw's (of course!) and actually fixed our van.
In summary, we absolutely our time there, and hope to make it back again. It was fabulous.

• Liked — The bedding
  • Disliked — I guess the cigar smell near the pool
2 Thank doverdog
CA
Reviewed 25 October 2007

Relaxing. Retro. Intimate. Those are the words I would use to describe this wonderful little place. Several of my co-workers and I had a seminar to attend in the area and the company had negotiated a rate at the Spa Hotel and Casino for attendees. Since I love tripadvisor and finding unique places to stay, I called Judy and she gladly matched the rate we would have had at the other property. Granted, I brought 5 other travelers - a couple staying one or two nights and the rest 3-5 nights, so we nearly had the place to ourselves during the week.

Upon our arrival, Judy greeted us and checked us in and Bob showed us our rooms and made us a margarita! The pool is sparkling clean and the grounds are very nice and inviting. I really liked meeting Judy, Bob, Larry, Patti and even Richard, the driver, and we would gladly make a return visit. I'll break it down in the Pros and Cons:

Pros:
Rooms were spotless and very retro and the bed was comfortable.
Having a kitchenette to make drinks and re-heat leftovers was a plus.
Staff is very attentive and eager to make reservations, arrangements for whatever you may need.
It was fun taking the Limo - it was an older Limo but in mint condition and with the Sinatra music playing, it felt like going back in time to the "Old Palm Springs". (Be sure to tip the driver handsomely).
Pool furniture is not the old rubber, strappy stuff, but more upscale and there are always plenty of clean, bright colored towels available.
Grounds are kept meticulous.
No small children or pets allowed which is why we pay to leave home in the first place (don't get me wrong...i have pets and kids, but they are my pets and kids and everyone else may not appreciate them as much as I do).
Judy is a great asset to the property and is on top of everything.

Cons:
It is on the corner of a very high traffic Hwy. 111 and the traffic noise was quite loud in the daytime - I tried to sleep by the pool, but it was too noisy.
No smoking, but I did smell smoke wafting through my door one morning from someone sitting outside.
We are in our 40's and 50's - far from "rowdy", yet my girlfriend and I were told to keep it down before 10:00 p..m. one night by the pool so as not to disturb other guests. This can only be due to the intimacy of the property and how the rooms face onto the pool/patio area - so we moved over to the firepit where the traffic noise was more prominent to drown us out:-)
If you want to go unnoticed or not be personable, this is not the place for you, you will know everyone by name and vice-versa by the time you leave.

Having said all that, overall it was extremely pleasant and more importantly, the rates are very reasonable which makes it most inviting and will keep people coming back!

• Liked — Pool area, Retro style.
  • Disliked — Close to traffic.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank mishottie
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2007

"Wow you're with us for a week!" Was how Larry greeted us on arrival.
I'm not quite sure why he was surprised as the hotel has received excellent reviews from the majority of those who have visited.

As for many other people, our stay here was part of a 4 week road trip. During that time, we sampled a considerable number of hotels and motels and I can honestly say that the level of service provided at the Desert Riviera was the most personal.

We chose a week in Palm Springs to break up the travelling, and to give my partner the opportunity to play golf - which he did in abundance thanks to Judy!! I chose the Desert Riviera knowing I was going to be spending chunks of time alone and for that reason I wanted somewhere smaller and less intimidating than a big resort hotel. Neither of us were disappointed - the golf was fantastic and despite being a golf widow, I was more than happy and well looked after.

I could go on forever, but I should just mention the beds - one of the two comfiest we slept in during our trip.

One other thing I would say is that if you want a completely relaxing
time, avoid the Harley weekend (early October) which considerably affects noise levels in town.

Other than that it was a great stay and we would come back in a heartbeat (in fact when we got to Vegas we nearly cried for the peace
and tranquility we'd left behind!).

Thanks again Larry and Judy (hope you enjoyed your well deserved break!) :-)

Best wishes and good luck

Gill and Ian

• Liked — Stylish, modern retro and clean
  • Disliked — Nothing
2 Thank bean66
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 23 October 2007

The Desert Riviera is a subtle jewel in the desert, a rare find that manages to be fun and retro without being too trendy, very service oriented without being overbearing, and quite possibly the best of the small room boutique hotels in old school Palm Springs. From the moment we talked to Judy to book our room, we knew this place was going to be warm and inviting, and we were not disappointed. Judy will set you up with golf, the best restaurants (her husband is a chef and she has a great palette --every restaurant she suggested was terrific and we're picky) massages, bikes, and even a limo to take you anywhere you want to go. The grounds are spacious for this type of small hotel -- much bigger pool and guest area than the Orbit for instance -- and are immaculately grooomed with grass and flowers, spa, large pool and fire pit. Our room was clean and very comfortable, with nice linens, wonderful bed, and large flat screen TV that you could just slide a DVD right into. Larry, Bob and Judy knew exactly when to sit and chat, or help us with something, and when to leave us alone -- quite a feat in these days of poor service from most hotels. We have stayed all over the world and loved our time at the Desert Riviera -- highly recommended!!