“Best Hotel Ever”

Ranked #1 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Springfield, IL
“Best Hotel Ever”
Reviewed 24 June 2008

This is maybe the best hotel I've ever stayed at, valuewise. Don't be fooled by the low price or the homey atmosphere, this is luxury. There is no better hotel for getting away from it all hands down.

I'd list everything you have available for free, but that's all on their website. When I arrived, they knew my name already. The first thing they told me was that they had lowered their rates and I'd be paying less. What hotel does that?

The folks that run this place seem to be in it for a good time. Regardless of their motivations, this is a fine hotel. They treated us like royalty during our stay.

• Liked — The value of this comfortably sized place.
  • Disliked — In-room phones would be my only suggestion.
1 Thank atomzero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Anyone who's been to a lot of hotels knows the feeling: you walk in, and they immediately start nickel-and-diming you for everything. We had such a better experience at this hotel than we have at far more expensive ones, and everything was included. On top of that, the folks at the Desert Riviera know that owning a hotel is about hospitality, not just increasing the bottom line - and they know the difference between real hospitality and the hospitality you only give people who pay the most. Larry and Judy (I didn't get to meet Patty) were helpful, attentive, and most importantly, personable. It was like coming home to old friends. The rest of the reviews have already said it all; we will never have a reason to stay anywhere else when we're in Palm Springs. I only wish more hotels followed their model. They most certainly deserve the #1 spot they have!

• Liked — Amazing staff, great amenities, cute rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing!
1 Thank saltmine81
Reviewed 22 June 2008

My wife and I were looking for a getaway. We discovered the Desert Riviera through TripAdvisor, and we read the reviews. Having seen the large volume of extremely happy reviews, my wife and I made a reservation.

My internal pessimist wondered if the reviews were somehow rigged, as it is extremely rare to see so many people SO pleased/excited about anything. So, we drove out of Los Angeles to Palm Springs with our fingers crossed for a nice escape.

Our GPS brought us to the parking lot (it's not easy to see from the street). We got out of the car (into a record-breaking heat of 118) and opened the gate. We saw the pool and the rooms as we walked to the office. Instantly I knew that the previous reviewers were serious. It is a lovely property which, when photographed would shine in any magazine review of fine places to stay.

We met Judy in the office who offered us complimentary bottled water as we checked in. She went through her routine of explaining all the free products and services available (which you surely must have read about from other reviews).

We met with Larry (an owner) who was also very friendly, quick to share his story about how he and his wife came to own the hotel after moving from the very rainy Portland area.

Our room was very comfortable. It had a flat screen TV, and a separate kitchen area. It had complimentary snacks and water/soda in the fridge. It was meticulously clean. The only complaint about the room was that the air conditioner could not keep up with the record heat wave. When we brought this to Larry's attention he brought over fans, ice, checked in on us, offered to move us to another hotel, and just made us feel so relaxed that we ignored the warm room (at around 11:00 PM it was comfortable enough to fall asleep, and then was cool in the morning).

Although my wife and I love to turn the a/c down and sleep in the cold, this was not possible. We'd been spoiled by the powerful air conditioners in Las Vegas, where you could practically see your breath in the room on a baking July day. We've made a note to book our return trip outside of the June-Sept period for our next trip back. [NOTE – As we were departing, Larry mentioned that he was planning on replacing the air conditioner in the room we stayed in with a much stronger one, the following day]

You can see the pride that Larry and his family take in running a quality operation. It’s very obviously “their baby”. It's clear that they will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. In a world of very poor customer service (often handled on the phone, from other countries), it feels great to be treated so nicely. Along with the lovely grounds, the fine service is a part of the experience of staying at the Desert Riviera Hotel.

We will return.

The only other observations which we made (which we would change if we could)

Loud Street - the property is adjacent to a busy street where the ongoing sounds of traffic can be heard. The piped-in music by the pool helps to offset this.

Jacuzzi Experience - while there is a switch to turn the bubbles off, we didn't see any controls for turning the waterjet off. It was loud enough to require my wife and I to shout at each other to carry a conversation.

1 Thank SoCalFam99
Hull, England
Reviewed 22 June 2008

Just returned from Desert Riviera, actually had 2 visits there in a fortnight!

Originally went for 5 days, upon walking in we were greeted by Larry and sister Judy and 2 cold beers!! Which I must say was very welcome in the heat!

They showed us to our room, which was wonderful, all decorated in 50's retro style, even down to the green chairs! The rooms are very spacious with a lovely little kitchen and fridge stocked with soft drinks and water. There was plenty of storage space (2 walk in wardrobes). The bathroom was roomy too with separate shower with a monster shower head. It was the little touches that made it special, on the table there was a basket full of little snacks and goodies.

We were invited to share their dinner on our first night. Judy's husband Steve is a chef and he had made some lovely food which we ate with them and fellow guests Deborah and Neil from Canada. They were all so friendly and made us feel very much at home.

The pool area is wonderful, it is so relaxing and the garden area with the hummingbirds darting about is beautiful. When it gets too hot (105 when we were there) the misters are very welcome!
On an evening Larry lights all candles and oil lamps on the tables and in the trees and it looks so lovely.

It was my 50th birthday when I was there, Larry gave us a little cream cake which was divine. On the evening we went with Larry in his stretch limo downtown for a meal, along with some fellow Brits we had met there Huw and Fiona, who shared my birthday with me. Thanks also to Deborah who gave me a gift for my birthday, it was very thoughtful and lovely.

We went on the cable car which is over 8000 ft high, my husband loved it, all I can say is I was glad to get to the top!! The views were wonderful. We also went on a Hummer trip with Elite Land Tours to Joshua Tree National Park, our guide was Reid, he was wonderful, very informative, and we saw a coyote, a jack-rabbit, and of course the trees and lots of vegetation which was expertly described to us by Reid.

We then went on to San Diego where we stayed 5 nights and then returned to Desert Riviera for our last 2 nights because we had enjoyed it so much.

Thank you Larry, Patty, Judy and Steve for making us feel so welcome, we hope to return soon.

Janet & Brad xx

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank Janet75
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed 19 June 2008

Best deal in the desert. The staff treat you like family. The rooms are spotless and tastefully done. The pool, grounds, and view of the mountains are great. What more can I say?

• Liked — The people who run it--they're the reason everything else is so good
  • Disliked — Desert Riviera shows how good other places could be if they really tried
Reviewed 15 June 2008

We recently stayed at the Desert Riviera Hotel for my partners 40th birthday weekend. There were 8 of us in our party and we spent each day floating in the heated pool, regardless of the occasional sprinkle that fell overhead. Larry (of Patty and Larry, the owners) was kind enough to move one of the umbrellas into the jacuzzi when the sprinkle turned into a rainfall and chased us out of the pool. Yes, Larry literally put the umbrella in the jacuzzi and raised the temperature so we could keep the fun going.

From the moment we booked the rooms we knew it'd be a great time. Judy (Larry's fantastic sister) is all the reviews say and more. She helped orchestrate our surprise birthday cake to be picked up from the bakery and stored until we had the birthday dinner. And Larry personally went and picked up the 40 balloons from the store so they were in the room when we arrived. Larry, Patty and Judy are more than happy to support in every way and always offer.

Larry also serves as the resident driver for their white, stretch limo that you can schedule to take you to and from dinner/bars (until 10pm). It was such a great service and truly one of the personal touches that make this property so special.

The rooms are really, really well done and so comfortable. I wish there was an option to buy because I didn't want to leave. The property is kept immaculate and they provide towels and some sunscreen poolside (but you should definitely still bring your own). You can go to the local grocery store and buy some food to grill on the awesome bbq and completely chillout. The bbq is so awesome that we bought the same model when we returned home. It has an infrared part on the grill that sears a steak so perfectly it makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

If you are traveling in a group (and you aren't taking over the whole property) I highly recommend someone request room #1. There are no common walls to the unit and you have the option of continuing the party past 10pm when they ask everyone to quiet down for the night. Candles are lit around the pool at sundown and the firepit is ignited creating a wonderful eden-esque glow. When we were there it became a nightly tradition to have wine at the firepit with some of the other hotel guests. It was so much fun to laugh and talk around a fire with a great glass of vino. And come 10pm we retreated to room #1 where the fun continued.

Ignore what other reviews say about the construction across the street. We barely heard it because continuous music is piped in throughout the common areas. You can request other music channels as long as it's reasonable for everyone's listening enjoyment. I highly suggest "Lite Hits" as it offers a great mix of "I love this song!"

Great restaurant recommendations are boutiful and they've assembled most of the menus so guests can review before making a reservation. All rooms have wall-mounted plasma televisions with built-in DVD players which I thought was fantastic. No need to schlep your Netflix's like we did because the DVD library at the hotel is really impressive. I really appreciated the complete set of the Bourne films.

If you are looking for a relaxing weekend in Palm Springs filled with pool time and sleeping in late each morning then this is the place for you. Larry, Patty and Judy really go out of their way to create and ensure a relaxing environment.

• Liked — Comfortable environment.
  • Disliked — Sound restrictions in the afternoon.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank TNTLosAngeles
Pembrokeshire
Reviewed 15 June 2008

Not much we can add to all the previous reviews.
It really is as good as people say. Loved the pool, room, bikes, limo, free internet, free phone calls, all of it.
The welcome and service we received was 1st class.
If you're going to Palm Springs, this is the place to stay.
Huw & Fiona

• Liked — Comfortably informal without being intrusive
  • Disliked — Nothing