“Not just a hotel, but an Experience!!”

Desert Riviera Hotel
Ranked #1 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Windsor, Canada
“Not just a hotel, but an Experience!!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

What an experience! My Wife and I arrived to the hotel and were greeted by Judy and were offered cold drinks right away after our 6 hour long drive from Las Vegas. As soon as we walked in we felt like we were at home. Only 11 rooms around the pool, very peacefull, clean and relaxing. With in one day, my wife and I decided to extend out stay like many other couples who have done so. The rooms are spotless. I watched the cleaning staff cleaning the rooms. They wipe every surafce and spent one hour cleaning each room. You have free water and soft drinks in your room every day. Snacks and fruits are included. Rick, Martha, Judy, Steve and Misty run the place like it is their own home. You don't feel like you are in a hotel. The pool and grounds are amazing. The view of the mountains from the rooms and pool are breathtaking. You have access to bikes to tour the town. The gym is close by for $10 a day or $40 for 5 days. Great restaurants and Coffee shops and Grocery stores are within waking distance.

My wife and I are already planning a return trip. We were depressed leaving the place. We have never felt like this when leaving a hotel.

Rick, Martha, Judy, Steve and Misty should be proud of themselves.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms by the pool. Great view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
Northfield, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I checked into the Desert Riviera as part of a whirlwind tour of the USA as part of our honeymoon, we booked 2 nights initially with the intention of moving on up the west coast of America.

Those plans changed!

The Desert Riviera hotel is the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed at, with panoramic views over the mountains of Palm Springs, a clean and warm pool which was perfect for swimming any time of day or night, a hot tub which was very romantic late at night, clean, spacious and comfortable rooms and fantastic staff by the names for Rick, Martha, Steve, Judy and Misty who left no stone unturned to make sure the stay was everything you wished.

Day 1

We had barely put our cases down when we were wished a happy honeymoon and was warmly greeted by Judy and Martha, who informed us our complimentary champagne was being chilled but in the meantime handed us a beer. The check in was easy, friendly and we were directed to the best grocery store in Palm Springs called Ralph's where we could by our steaks to be cooked whenever we wanted on the hotels 2 large gas barbecues. As we walked outside we met Steve a professional chef of 30+ years who immediately informed us that he has homemade rubs and many recipes for steaks etc. and that he would be happy to cook the steaks for us. Soon after we met Rick who kindly brought over more beer and asked me all about myself including mine and my wife's interests and if there was anything else we needed while we stayed. We felt like we were staying at the family home everything was just perfect! My wife and I looked at each other and said WHY DID WE ONLY BOOK 2 NIGHTS!!!
That evening Steve kept to his word and cooked to perfection our 2 rib eye steaks, we then invited him over to share a beer with us as we had enjoyed his company so much which he did but not before bringing over his home made sticky balsamic glaze for my wife's salad. Shortly later we finished the night in the hot tub and the pool before moving into our room with its own kitchen at around midnight a great 1st day.

Day 2

Much of the same, Rick, Martha, Misty, Steve and Judy conscientiously making sure all guests were happy and comfortable. What also struck me was how friendly all the other guests were and how they were as happy as we were. We spent all day swimming and relaxing before sharing our perfectly chilled champagne in the hot tub. That evening we took advantage of the taxi service into town where we were informed by the guys at the hotel that there was a street fare. We were dropped off by Misty who offered us a ride back if we were heading back before 10pm. We got back a little after 11pm and went for a late night swim. Before having a look at the hotels complimentary DVD collection and heading back to the room for a late night movie.

The following day we had to check out, we wasn't happy so we immediately asked Judy if there was availability for the following week as we would be interested in coming back and cancelling out trip to Los Angeles in order to return to Palm Springs. Judy said there was a room for 3 days so we immediately booked again and was subsequently invited to Judy's birthday party which was on the 4th night, we couldn't stay for the 4th night but was still invited back for the party.

We came back after 4 nights away feeling like were home, we stayed until the end of our honeymoon it was perfect in every way and we will be back. Judy's party was a lovely way to end our honeymoon and my only regret is that I have to wait a while now before I can go back although I have made it clear that my 30th birthday when I am adamant we will make the 10 hour trip again from Birmingham.

I recommend this hotel to people who want to relax, sightsee and meet some wonderful people

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 rooms they were excellent so I wouldn't worry about what room you get!
Garden Grove, California
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Suddenly it occurred to me that I had stumbled upon a special place where people come to do some serious relaxing. Could this be the location of some spiral vortex of Coachella Valley energy bouncing off of the San Jacinto Mountains and landing smack dab on top of this little desert getaway? Something was different here; you could tell. Just by observing the 'relaxees', all happy guests of the Desert Riviera Hotel, practicing the art of complete and utter relaxation. Across the pool a couple bobbed effortlessly in the pool, suspended on long floaties. The man, heels hooked at the side of the pool, floated casually on the warm water, arms outstretched as if forming the “Y” of the YMCA song. The woman entangled in a special twisted floatie design, seemed blissful, content to give up every stressed ligament and muscle to the amazing desert sun and crystal clear water. Laying on her stomach backwards in a deck lounge, a well tanned guest was engrossed in her book, opened on the pool deck, next to a glass of wine. She had found the perfect poolside reading position.
But then, I started to feel it, whatever “it” was. Amazing, restful, contented relaxation. The kind that wrings out the soreness of muscle and the worry of mind. And when it's time to go back to reality, you'll want a late, late checkout.

To have the success and incredible feedback that the Desert Riviera enjoys, there must exist a very special vibe. And that vibe is no accident. It starts with the property itself. Everywhere you look you'll enjoy the cool retro feel of the place, especially the guest rooms, which are brightly colored and trimmed in nostalgia. The pool area is pristine and well maintained, with tasteful music emanating from who knows where. The lighting has been given special attention too, adding to the ambiance.
The views are delightful, with a strong mountain ridgeline that creates a beautiful pool backdrop.

Judy, Misty, Steve and all of the staff make up the remainder of the “Vibe” here. They all go out of their way each day to make YOUR stay here a memorable one. Talk to a few of the guests and you will soon see that this is not their first time at the Desert Riviera. And like many of them, I too plan a return to this vortex of Coachella Valley energy. THE place to do some serious relaxing!

Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I just spent 2 nights at the hotel and we just love this place! Everyone in the hotel were so nice and attentive. We were greeted by Judy during check-in; from the introduction you know they thought of everything to ensure your stay is awesome, from walking stick & map for Joshua Tree National Park to champagne in our room for our wedding anniversary! Steve was super nice in driving us to the airport to pickup our rental car, and giving us bottles of frozen waters for our hot hikes at Joshua Tree. The room and the whole place were clean and very nicely decorated with cheerful colors, the garden was immaculate. At night, candle lights, outside fire ring and soft music surround the pool and jacuzzi - what a relaxing and romantic place!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've been traveling all around california staying in different types of accommodation from 3 to 5 stars and I've never had better customer service than desert riviera. I fully understand why they are rated so highly, the go to lengths to please their customers. Their heated pool is wonderful especially at night with candles and music we lay on pool beds and watched the stars I didn't want to leave, and it's open 24 hours a day which is a huge bonus.
The owners are really wonderful as well and they are so friendly I loved chatting to them, you wouldn't get that at chain hotels. The hotel and room had eveything you could need including snacks, water and coffee. We were even offered a ride to the restaurant we were going to dinner to but we decided to drive.
I wish I could've stayed longer than one night but would definitely be back if I'm ever back in the US.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank ReinaAl
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Relaxing, inviting, beautiful grounds. The pool and jacuzzi were great. Very comfortable and quiet. Love that it is adults only. Very friendly and attentive service. Judy and Misty were very helpful. Looking forward to coming back as soon as possible!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We have been going to the Desert Riviera for a few years now. We fell in love with it on day one. Besides the beautiful grounds and rooms, the hospitality is impeccable. Judy and the staff are wonderful and will make you feel right at home as soon as you step in the office to check in.
The atmosphere is quiet, relaxing and you will never want to leave. In fact, we now have several friends that we have made there over the years just from sitting by the pool. We all now return at the same time every year to meet and vacation together.
The rooms are clean mid-century modern, but not overly kitsch. Most have kitchens and there is a grill area that is open for guests to use by the pool. Occasionally Stephan will throw a delicious gourmet barbecue for guests. We were fortunate to be there for Easter, and he and Judy made us a fabulous brunch.
New owners Rick and Martha seem to want to maintain the integrity of the property and are super nice people.
Judy and her family are the heart and soul of the Desert Riviera. They will truly make your stay a special experience.
We have made a lifetime of friends and memories there.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple