“Worth all the Hype and lived up to the Glowing Reviews”

Desert Riviera Hotel
Ranked #1 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was my first time experiencing such a property – usually, when I've stayed at a place with ten rooms or less, it's a bed and breakfast. But this is more of an old fashioned driving motel that's wonderfully private and secluded and very comfortable.

I was greeted by the very helpful and cheerful Misty; she showed me around and took me to my room, which had a king bed with high-thread-count sheets and featured a separate eat-in kitchen, a cool retro bathroom with spa-quality towels and toiletries, and plenty of free snacks and bottles of water. The room also featured a tv and DVD player – make sure you have the front desk person show you how they actually work – I ended up having to watch one of their free loaner movies on my laptop because I could never figure it out.

I rarely notice other guests when I'm at a bigger property but I observed an eclectic mix around the pool, from a young, unfriendly couple to a very talkative older woman who reminded me of that leather skinned lady in the movie, “There's Something About Mary.” She was decked out with some fringe thing covering her bikini. Yes. A bikini. Bless Her Heart.

Anyway, the best part was being able to take a private, midnight swim and dip in the hot tub under a beautifully starry night with a view of the mountains. I never would have thought to do this, but Misty had told me that the pool and hot tub were open 24 hours. When I was done, I pulled on my plush robe and admired all the flowers and landscaping. The only disappointment – when I went back to my room, the shower didn't have any hot water. It was barely lukewarm. When I told the owners the next morning, they apologized profusely and explained that their maintenance person had “dialed down” the hot water heater after another guest on the other side of the property complained about it being too hot. The management quickly refunded a significant portion of my bill.

There are more affordable options – especially in the off season – and I wish they had some kind of breakfast instead of just the snacks in the room and fresh fruit and coffee, but I will definitely return, hopefully for a much longer stay. The glowing TripAdvisor reviews are accurate and the nice owners and staff deserve all the praise that come with them. My mission now: to find out which fabric softener they use – the towels and sheets smelled wonderful!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank stevereviews
There are newer reviews for Desert Riviera Hotel

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We were made to feel welcome immediately upon arrival. Judy was so kind, informative and answered all my questions. We were introduced to the owners--both very friendly. The room was awesome! It was like staying in a nice apartment. I loved the kitchen. Bed and bedding was comfortable and we slept well. All rooms are around the pool but noise was never an issue. The pool was lovely--both day and evening. The misters were awesome. I can't imagine ever staying anywhere else in Palm Springs. We will be back. We felt welcome and at home and we will be back!

Room Tip: All rooms look great.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I don't know where to begin to recommend this place. It was WONDERFUL !!! Check in with Mary was so friendly! The ENTIRE staff was amazing and super friendly :) It was our 37 year anniversary and we were treated to a bottle of bubbly. Our room was immaculate and super comfy. When was the last time you were greeted by the owner of a hotel on a Saturday morning with pastries, and then later in the afternoon in the 100 degree + heat with a Popsicle ? After visiting Palm Springs for 20+ years this is the ONLY place we want to go back to.Run, don't walk to this wonderful hotel..we sure will .. The pool area was beautiful and so relaxing..and peaceful.We wish we could give it more than a 5 rating ♥

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights as part of our honeymoon road trip in September last year. The staff were lovely and even had a cold beer waiting for us on arrival after a 400 mile drive across the desert from The Grand Canyon. The hotel was beautifully maintained and the perfect place to stay if you're after that classic american hotel / motel feel. Great art deco details, lovely pool and with the weather we had – perfect for a late night dip. Watching the Hummingbirds dash around the garden was stunning. We were even presented with a bottle of champagne which they kept on ice until we were ready to drink it. Fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My preference when traveling/vacationing is to find a property that has all the comforts of home and staff that makes you feel at home. Desert Riviera provides all that and more! From the complimentary pick-up at the airport to making sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed, the staff at Desert Riviera was awesome! It is more than clear they are personally committed to your satisfaction. The property has been kept up meticulously keeping the retro feel of Palm Springs "past" but with all the modern amenities anyone would need. The landscaping is especially beautiful. If a boutique property with very personalized service is what you are looking for, Desert Riviera is your destination!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charlotte S
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband has already written his review for this hotel, so I will keep mine short and sweet.

From the moment we arrived at Desert Riviera we didn't want to leave, so we returned a few days later for another 3 nights. The hotel offers the right amount of romance, fun, comfort and pure perfection, why would you stay anywhere else?

All of the staff are amazing and felt more like friends. The pool is beautiful and the BBQ's poolside are a great touch.

We stayed in 7 hotels during our 3 week honeymoon, and this was by far our most favourtie out of them all.

We will be back one day :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

What an experience! My Wife and I arrived to the hotel and were greeted by Judy and were offered cold drinks right away after our 6 hour long drive from Las Vegas. As soon as we walked in we felt like we were at home. Only 11 rooms around the pool, very peacefull, clean and relaxing. With in one day, my wife and I decided to extend out stay like many other couples who have done so. The rooms are spotless. I watched the cleaning staff cleaning the rooms. They wipe every surafce and spent one hour cleaning each room. You have free water and soft drinks in your room every day. Snacks and fruits are included. Rick, Martha, Judy, Steve and Misty run the place like it is their own home. You don't feel like you are in a hotel. The pool and grounds are amazing. The view of the mountains from the rooms and pool are breathtaking. You have access to bikes to tour the town. The gym is close by for $10 a day or $40 for 5 days. Great restaurants and Coffee shops and Grocery stores are within waking distance.

My wife and I are already planning a return trip. We were depressed leaving the place. We have never felt like this when leaving a hotel.

Rick, Martha, Judy, Steve and Misty should be proud of themselves.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms by the pool. Great view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple