“very nice hotel :)”

Canyon Club Hotel
Munich, Germany
“very nice hotel :)”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

we where sleeping here (unfortunatly only for 2 nights) in this hotel. we made a small trip to palmsprings in order to visit the city. the owners are very friendly and they even gave us an upgrade of the room. so we had one of the best rooms in the hotel. Very nice! the pool in very refreshing in the hot summer periode. it is also a garden available where you can meet other guys and have fun. the hotel is very clean and the comfort of the bed is very good. tested!!! :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank corny110980

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I found the hotel overall nice stay. The rooms need some updates. The pool area was very nice and the staff very friendly

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Fervijeeo
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Just returned from a weekend stay at Canyon Club -- which was my second visit in the past year. Since it's late July, the desert was scortchingly hot and the crowd was predictably sparse, which was fine with me and my buddy since we like the heat and we were there primarily to enjoy each other's company.

We arrived at noon and were very pleased when the desk clerk offered us a complimentary upgrade to a King Suite, complete with a full kitchen — and I must say that the hotel's generosity has changed my mind forever about the room I will want to reserve! No more studios for me!!

Since my last stay in September 2010, they've continued to make some wonderful improvements — and I'm sure routine maintenance on such a property in such an envoronment requires a huge ongoing investment. That said, everything in our room was in working order and the entire facility was clean and cared for. I particularly appreciated the new in-room safes. We didn't make use of the steam room, sauna or hot tub (for pretty obvious reasons) but we did spend a good deal of time in the pool and enjoying the park and the playroom. All in all, everything was GREAT!

For those of you who are new to visiting the desert, it's important for you to understand some of the unique laws under which desert resorts operate, particularly when it comes to continental breakfast — and I'm sharing this because of a criticism I heard one of the other guests make about the pastries. For continental breakfast, Canyon Club offers everything you would expect — cereals, breads, muffins, bagels, fruit, coffee, juice — and even hard boiled eggs — but don't be surprised when you see that almost all of the pastries are individually wrapped because THAT'S THE LAW. It's simply unsanitary to have pastries sitting out in the open in a place that is so HOT.

If you want something more substantial for breakfast (or lunch or dinner) there is a restaurant called John's immediately next door to the Canyon Club. John's serves up fast, cheap and pretty darn good food for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Ask the front desk for a menu, phone in your order and in less that 10 minutes your food will be ready for you to pick up and bring back to the resort to enjoy poolside.

And while we're on the subject of the pool (which was very clean and just the right temperature) BE SURE TO BRING YOUR FLIP-FLOPS. The pavement around the pool and on all of the staircases and walkways really soaks up the heat -- and if you're a tenderfoot like me, you'll be hopping, jumping and swearing just making it from your lounge chair to the pool!

Thank you to Canyon Club's friendly and professional staff for making us feel so welcome. We look forward to visiting again soon!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank GayNaturistTraveler
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 24 July 2011

After trying 3 other resorts in Palm Springs, Canyon Club was the next.

Gay resorts i PS are a bit like a lottery, depending on what you are searching for, silence to unwind or other gay people to hook up.

Canyon Club is one of the more crowded places from we could tell, though only 7 other rooms were occupied when we got there, but that changed much later.

The resorts is very worn down. It has was you need, but lot of cracks and worn paint and tiles both inside and out.

It features a large pool, one of the largest we have seen is PS yet.

Our night at the pool came with 2 surprises, first the unpleasant "attack" of cockroaches, jumping all over a trying to suicide themselves in the hottub. Maybe first time we experienced this due to the very dimmed light Canyon Club has at night.

The second surprise was several other guests we had not seen before arriving late, but they all came from the garden Canyon Club has.
It was confirmed next morning that it was locals and probably other PS visitors jumping the fence/wall to the garden and cruising around for "adventures"
Though this kinda acts as a bonus to Canyon Club it also leaves some concerns that less trustworthy people easily can get access.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bjoeg
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I give it five stars for its category-- which is the Palm Springs, gay, all-male, clothing optional resort category. I'm not comparing this property to major international luxury chains.

CC Hotel is a value because it has the lowest prices in its category, and it has a great location. You can walk to several excellent local restaurants within blocks. The heart of the gay bars (Arenas Road) is exactly a one mile walk. You could stay here (gasp) without a car, and rely on feet, bus, and taxis. I am finishing up a seven-night stay (way off season) for a little more than $500. There is no comparable competition. Value and location are the initial reasons to choose Canyon Club.

The property itself is "vintage," meaning that it is in a classic mid-20th-century style. All of the rooms open onto the pool. It is large and freshwater, and is either the first or second largest pool among the gay resorts. The property has been modified to close off any views from the streets (it faces both Palm Canyon and Indian Canyon), to assure privacy for nude sun-bathing. Renovations are ongoing. The property has charm because of its age, but it also needs constant upgrading. The owners are diligent. But this is a vintage, unique hotel. Things are not going to be as uniform as they are in cookie-cutter properties.

The views. I love to sit in the outdoor jacuzzi and look up at Mt. San Jacinto. Framed by palm fronds. There is a light at the top of the tram that you can see at night. It is a glorious view. You can see the stars, hear the palm trees rustling in the evening breeze, and watch the colors of the mountains change. All from your room, or from the pool, or from the jacuzzi.

Even if you keep your clothes on, the adults-only nature of this hotel has its benefits. The pool and jacuzzi are open 24/7. You can swim under the stars at 3 a.m., if you like. There is no locked gate to the pool, no keycard necessary (once you are inside the walls of the hotel). The property is truly unique, beautiful, and in harmony with the landscape.

The customer profile varies, and the number of customers varies. This week, there have been some couples, some singles, and a variety of ages and types. Sometimes, there have been locals at the pool using day passes. There is a new "play room" with a sling, a mattress, and adult videos. There is a private garden with a "maze." You might hook up with another guest, but if that’s what you’ve come to Palm Springs for, you can maximize your opportunities by staying here and visiting the bars or perhaps get a day pass to one of the other facilities.

The staff here is what makes Canyon Club surpass the others. First, the owners John and Chris are here almost every day. It’s a family-owned business, and they pay attention to their customers. My room was cleaned every morning around 10:45 a.m. by either Jeff or Porty, both very helpful, friendly, and also respectful of your privacy. The front desk was manned by Michael, James, and Ben. The front desk has a cordless phone, so you’ll see them frequently checking around, tidying up and making sure the guests are happy. Ben checked me in, moved me to a better room than the one I had booked, and just generally greeted me daily and advised me on the local scene and asked how my vacation was going. And no, I’m not a sexy young thing. There is NO “ATTITUDE” with this staff. Every guest is special. Thanks to Ben and all for making my vacation successful.

A few other observations. Breakfast is mostly packaged things and cereals. If you want a big hot breakfast, John’s restaurant next door, approximately thirty feet down the sidewalk, can provide a good one (but you’ll have to get dressed.) The desk is closed from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m., although they will make arrangements for an after hours check-in. WiFi is good, consistent, and secure. The pool is exceptionally clean and well-maintained throughout the day. Very limited cable, no more than twenty channels. I booked over the phone because the online booking didn’t include the special deal that was advertised. Every room is unique, so I recommend calling in person to find the room that suits you.

The major chains have some beautiful hotels and resorts here. But I want to be able to skinny dip under the stars and palm fronds at midnight. And I want to be around my gay brothers. For that opportunity, and for the value and the exceptional service, I give Canyon Club the highest rating.

Room Tip: Book on the phone for the best room.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank CuriousExploreTravel
USA
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Canyon Club continues to improve and to provide one of the better values in Palm Springs. Being able to walk to Arenas Road is a big plus and there are many nice restaurants along the way, including Jakes. The new play area behind the office and the park labyrinth opposite corner of the property certainly make it an interesting place although I would estimate about half the guests there are couples. Room cleanliness has improved noticeably over the years although there is an urgent need for a plumber and electrician. The bathrooms, in particular, need lots of work as they have been remodeled several times leaving gaping holes around the pipes, etc. Although the rooms look attractive when you first enter, you quickly realize the property still needs much work. There are no in-room safes here which is unfortunate. And speaking of unfortunate, the breakfast is hardly impressive. Lots of pre-wrapped pastries that are put out the night before and there’s’ very little in the fresh department. Then there’s the pool furniture, some of which is in disrepair and hopefully will soon be replaced. But given the price and the facilities, I can certainly recommend Canyon Club, especially for single guys looking for a little action but a little privacy as well.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I stayed at the Canyon Club Hotel in Palm Springs from March 23rd to April 6th, 2011. It was the best 2-week vacation I've had in a long time. First, the owners, John & Chris, constantly work hard to make the hotel better. They really care, and are open to suggestions. On top of that, they are a couple of fun guys with a great sense of humor. Secondly, they have an amazing staff working there. Absolutely everyone is caring and very personable. I had excellent assistance from the Front Desk staff........Jose, Tony, and Terry. They were also fun to talk to. The housekeeping staff make sure you have everything you need, and do a great job cleaning. They are Jeff, Porfy, and Armando. I'm glad to have met them during my stay. The hotel's swimming pool is the center piece attraction......clean and refreshing. They have lots of chairs to relax in, surrounding the pool. What a great way to enjoy the sensational Palm Springs sunshine. An added feature is the grassy backyard property. It's like having your home backyard while on vacation. Lots of trees and greenery, a little pond, and more chairs throughout the yard if you prefer to enjoy the sun away from the pool. Rounding out everything is the freedom to be nude everywhere on the property (except the Front Lobby). My room was very comfortable and peaceful. I slept very well. I plan to return next year, same time. Thank you everyone for making my vacation special! .......Peter.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
#9 of 41 in Palm Springs
Santiago Resort
Santiago Resort
#2 of 41 in Palm Springs

Been to Canyon Club Hotel? Share your experiences!