“Enchanting Romantic Inn”
Review of The Willows

The Willows
Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 13 February 2012

From the moment we drove through the front gates and were greeted by Gordon, to the attention and care from all staff members, and Chef Joan's sumptuous gourmet breakfasts The Willows knows how to pamper guests. The location is private yet within convenient walking distance to downtown Palml Springs. The ambience will have you channeling Clark Gable!

Room Tip: We loved the serenity of the Waterfall Room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 January 2012

This was our third visit. It just gets better each time we visit. From the room, the breakfast, happy hour and the staff it is a perfect way to spend a weekend in Palm Springsn

Room Tip: Pick any of the 8 rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rcw731
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I am exceptionally well travelled. The Willows is quite simply, magical.
Your not quite sure its even real its so lovely.

Room Tip: The rooms are all lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dee2006_10
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My husband and I just spent 2 nights at the Willows to celebrate our birthdays. I cannot even express how special and amazing the stay was. The Willows is a five-star experience from the moment you call to make your reservation to the time you (sadly!) check out. The service is impeccable - everyone is so friendly and ready to meet your every need. At breakfast one morning, we heard them bring a New York Times to a gentleman at the next table as he had requested - what service! The B&B itself is beautiful with an attention to detail. We stayed in the Rock Room which we adored - the bathroom was fabulous with the rock jutting into the shower/bathroom area. I took a soak in the deep tub which was quite luxurious. We loved having a separate seating area. And the snacks left for us on check-in were a nice treat. We also loved that the room opened up directly to the pool area - we felt like we had our very own pool for our room. We sat by the pool and relaxed on both days which was luxurious. The breakfasts were delicious - and they even had on file that I am a vegetarian so I didn't get the bacon, etc (but my husband raved that it was the best bacon he ever ate!). The location is also wonderful - we parked and did not move our car until we checked out - Palm Canyon is a very short walk away. The Willows is just an amazing, special getaway - definitely not cheap, but worth it for a very special and memorable stay. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Loved the Rock Room - had a separate sitting room, very modern and amazing bathroom with separate sh...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2012

As a former travel writer, I've been aware of the Willows for two decades, but previously had to satisfy myself with touring the property (contrary to popular misconceptions, travel journalism pay doesn't come close to covering a five-star experience like this!) Looking for a New Year's getaway this year, I finally realized hubby and I had finally "grown up" enough for this pampering treat, so we rang in 2012 poolside in delightful 80+ degree temps, and I'm now a devoted Willows guest as well as discerning fan.

Please read all the reviews that preceed mine: as a professional, I can assure you my fellow guests have done a great job of describing the detail and nuance of a stay here, far more than can be listed in one single review. A word that frequently comes up is "gem," and it is very apt! Many don't know this place exists, hidden in plain sight steps from the bustling heart of Palm Springs. You can easily walk into town for any entertainment your heart desires, or walk the other way to escape into a scenic 2-hour mountain hike that feels miles from civilization.

Another word you'll see is "pricey," and I will admit it is. Until you stay, it can be difficult to imagine what kind of experience warrants a $300-$600 per night price tag, but notice how not a single reviewer came away regretting the expenditure, myself included! The privacy, comfort, service, and extra amenities are without peer, and well worth the prices. It's not easy to make guests of all stripes feel comfortable being treated like royalty while padding about in swimsuits and bathrobes, but the staff here achieves that remarkable balance. Ditto the oft-cited three-course breakfast, which is simultaneously elegant (savory bread puddings and caviar-topped souffles) yet elemental (fresh fruit, yogurt, and simple baked goods). You'll hear the menu beforehand and can choose whether to go healthy or hedonistic, or somewhere in between -- including custom requests for plain eggs and toast, if that better suits you.

I personally enjoyed the 24-hour hot tub and pool (heated during winter), since I love a first-thing-in-the-morning soak without having to wait for the water to warm up. There are plush and absorbant bamboo-blend towels (generously sized, to boot) poolside and in the bathrooms, and no extra fees for anything on the property, which is as it should be! The evening hors d'ouevres are so generous, creative, and delicious, I feel a tad picky remarking the wine service could be improved by refining the presentation: One evening I was simply told my options were "red or white," although subsequent inquiry revealed a very nice choice among 5 or 6 varietals. And glasses were consistently overfilled...wine should never be poured to the brim like water!

Any small complaints were totally balanced on our departure, when the proprietors -- to our surprise -- presented us with a gift certificate for a future night's stay as compensation for a small inconvenience during our weekend. The issue was so minor and efficiently resolved by staff, it would never have influenced my overall assessment -- but how classy is that response? It's that level of professionalism and devotion to hospitality that truly sets the Willows apart.

Room Tip: Seriously, get the best room you can afford and you won't regret it! Those with mobility issues...
3  Thank SavvyGirl13
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My husband and I spent a few days at the Willows, and were awed by the hospitality, the lovely gourmet breakfasts, the beautiful, well-appointed accommodations, and the atmosphere. It's comfortable, it's beautiful, it's in a perfect location, private, but close to things we wanted to see and do (next to the Museum, a lovely place to spend some time, and only a couple of blocks from the shops and restaurants). There was no pressure, so we could relax and take it easy, and Harmony and Gordon always wanted to help us and provide excellent service with great style. So much more than we could have expected. It was lovely, and we will most certainly do it again!

Reviewed 20 December 2011

It never crossed my mind to visit Palm Springs, BUT when I saw the pictures of this beautiful property I had to make every excuse to come visit! Early Christmas getaway GIFT for my husband and I!!

From the very moment we arrived, I was in awe! I drove up to the gated property unsure of how to get in. I called Gordon, the host, and he opened the gate and greeted us. He helped us with the bags up the stairs. I was looking in my purse for the confirmation letter or my credit card and Gordon says, "No need for that, we have your information." AWESOME!! I don't like all that check-in stuff. It feels like a hotel! All the payment stuff was taken cared of prior to my visit, so Gordon made it feel like a vacation the very minute we got there!

Anyhow, the property is even more beautiful in person. We stayed in the loft which on the second floor in the main house. My husband and I snacked on the dried fruits and the beverages that were stocked in our rooms. The bed was so comfortable! It was the best sleep I've had in a long time. In the morning we could see and hear the running waterfall from the window in our room. The 3 course breakfast in front of the waterfall was breathtaking and the food was great. I loved the little pathway you can hike up to the O Donnel House. We met other house guests and we all enjoyed an afternoon of h'orderves and wine together provided by the staff. The Willows is so close (2 blocks) to the downtown strip that we didn't even need to drive anywhere! Overall, the staff, food, and location top notch! Also, the property is well kept (absolutely jaw dropping beautiful) and the rooms are clean.
This is one of the most relaxing and memorable vacations for my husband and I! We loved the whole experience! Definitely going back and sending my parents for their anniversary!

The only downside is that this place is a bit pricey, but after having stayed here- I CAN'T IMAGINE STAYING ANYWHERE ELSE!

Room Tip: If you cannot go up stairs, choose rooms that are on ground level. The loft has steep stair case goi...
2  Thank linxh