“Great Location and Staff - AC and Furnishings Could Be Better”

Hilton Palm Springs
Ranked #14 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was here for one night over Memorial Day weekend with friends. The rooms, as others have noted, were quite big and clean and had adequate although not particularly high end furnishings. The common areas were average and nothing special. The location couldn't be better and is walking distance from downtown Palm Springs.

The staff of the Hilton were all very friendly and helpful and always seemed to go a little above and beyond what I would have expected.

The AC in our room (130), however, was both generally insufficient and misleading. I like a slightly colder room, particularly in hot locations. It was about 100 degrees outside and the room never seemed to get to below 72 or so despite having a thermostat that was supposedly able to deliver a room to 60. That clearly didn't happen despite our best efforts.

In short, the Palm Springs Hilton is a very-centrally located resort, with big, slightly dated rooms, average grounds and AC that lacked oomph.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jon S
Shannon A, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for selecting Hilton Palm Springs for your holiday weekend visit. I apologize that you ran into issues with your AC. If you could reach out to me at the property and let me know what room number you were in, I will investigate the matter with engineering. I am happy to hear that our staff "wowed" you with service and we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Palm Springs

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Calling this place a "resort" is an insult to resorts everywhere.

We had the misfortune of staying here recently, two weekends in a row.

Weekend number one.....checked in and was given a nice room overlooking the pool. Okay, so far so good. We went out for dinner and upon walking back could hear the boom boom boom of the DJ set up at the pool. As others have mentioned, this hotel has zero insulation and you can hear everything between the walls and what's going on outside. At 10:00 pm with our kids still awake, we called the front desk. They apologized but the music continued and we all stayed awake until the party ended. Nothing like having an 8 month old up until midnight. Good times!

Weekend number two. It got even worse. The Rotary Club had rented out most of the hotel and we were given a room right above the pool area where they were set up for their party. At 11:30 pm I called to ask to speak to the manager. He said there was nothing he could do because they rented most of the hotel. Translation "we have your money, so too bad".

We moved rooms the next day. The entire floor reeked of pot day and night but I was too tired to move rooms again. We just kept the sliding glass door shut.

The icing on the cake was the morning of check out, I was going to run a bath for son and there was a cockroach the size of a kitten in the tub.

I called the next day to ask the speak to the hotel manager and haven't heard back, that was over a week ago.

This place has been remodeled but it's musty, loud. Don't even get me started on the horrible room service food.

The whole place is on par with a Motel 6. Seriously, don't waste your money.

Room Tip: Avoid hotel altogether.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Kikilarue737

I want to apologize for the unfortunate experiences that you had at our hotel. I’m sorry that noise from a party on both weekends kept you up and prevented your family from getting the sleep they deserve. We have reviewed your comments with our staff and your feedback will help us improve. We sincerely hope that you return to the property, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Spent the first 3 nights of our California trip here and could not fault any part of the hotel
Staff friendly and efficient, room as you would expect
Breakfast was great (buffet 2 days and from menu on another)
Eat here for lunch 1 day next to pool and very nice - poolside staff were attentive if you wanted drink/snack
Eddy in the lobby bar was always smiling and friendly
Could not find anything to moan about ... If I had to it would be the nightly resort fee that they added to our bill but when we questioned it they said it was optional but covered internet, parking etc and other things but as a gold member we get some of that free anyway ... They apologised for adding it without asking and quickly refunded it

Room Tip: Ask for a poolside room ... And as always always away from elevators and ice machine
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank perky88
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I am a rewards member and always stay at Hilton properties. This hotel is one of the older ones in Palm Springs. the location is great as it's close to lots of eating choices and shopping along with a quaint downtown area. The room is dated with older furnishings and the TV was 20 feet from the bed in the living space which I didn't like. I'm used to newer properties so again this wasnt the worst hotel I've ever stayed but might have looked hardfer at other choices had I known.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed here for a few nights during Modernism. Had a good room (suite), very spacious, comfortable and clean. Didn't do much in the way of being by the pool or eating at the restaurant but we did go downstairs for breakfast and it was decent. The decor is nice, except for in the elevators, for some reason they were nasty and dirty. Overall a pretty good place, not mind blowing but somewhere I would consider staying again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at the Hilton Palm Springs Resort last weekend with a conference. I was actually surprised that I liked it. I think they must have updated it not long ago. The facility is basically a hollow rectangle with on open courtyard in the middle. The parking is outside along the north and east sides of the hotel. I made the mistake of parking before checking in. All of the doors to the hotel from the parking area are locked so I had to go around to the front. I am a Hilton Honors member (the lowest - blue, I think) level and was upgraded to a "junior suite". It was a corner room. The bed and pillows were pretty comfortable. I usually have trouble sleeping in a hotel but had no problems here. There was a sectional sofa and a chair in a grouping facing the large flat screen TV. There was also a desk and a chair and plenty of storage. They also had enough lamps that reading at night was easy. The bathroom looked like it had been remodeled. The only weird thing about the room was that you had to enter and and go down a hallway to get into the room itself, I am guessing that is because it was in the corner. Also, the only trash can I could ever find was in the bathroom. I don't know the square footage but the room seemed large.

I was at a conference so we had meals in the big ballroom. The food was better than average for a large group. The staff seemed a little less than average, just a bit clumsy and clueless. Like they were all new or something.

I didn't sit at the pool, but the pool area seemed large and had lots of chairs. I can't remember if there were umbrellas for shade. There was also a nice bar area by the pool and the restaurant there had lots of patio seating. This is minor but the cans of coke in the gift shop were like $1.35 which is actually pretty cheap for that setting.

I stayed in the hotel the whole time, but it looked to me like the hotel was a block or so off of the main part of downtown Palm Springs so it is pretty convenient. I think I would recommend not staying in a room on the south side (towards Tahquitz I think) because of heavy traffic but the noise was tolerable.

I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I am a "Hilton guy" but despite my loyalty to Hilton and very nice rooms I will never come back.
As a diamond or gold member depending on the year over the past decade plus, I expect a consistent experience. In the past ten days I had good experiences in other cities. My brand loyalty remains strong.

From the time of making my reservation I was a little put off by the non refundable deposit but I accepted it. I cannot accept the ham handed way I was treated at check-in. I always show ID but nobody has ever made a show of scrutinizing my ID like this person did. He held my passport up like immigration in a third world country. Next he asked me to read and initial smoking and pet policies. "I don't smoke and I didn't bring a pet" I said. "Just our policy - you have to initial". After swiping my credit card, the card still had to be taken to the "back room" to be copied. "just our policy" he said. finally I had to initial the penalty for early check-out. I am staying two nights and the belts and suspenders policy of guaranteeing their revenue might be ok if this was a special place but it is a nice but not great hotel.

Even though I think some of the "policies" are over the top, I probably would have felt ok if the attitude had not been TSA like. I felt like an unwelcome guest and I won't be back.

In fairness, I found my room to be very nice and it is a goo location but when I am in the area again, I will go back to Embassy Suites - a Hilton property without all the policies and a much better breakfast.

2  Thank lithiumsan