“If you are homeless, then it's a toss up as to whether this place is a step up or not.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Desert Lodge

Desert Lodge
Ranked #69 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
los angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

If you are homeless, then it's a toss up as to whether this place is a step up or not. If you are not homeless, then you should never, ever, stay at this hotel. Ever.

Here’s my experience – I called a few hotels earlier in the day to check on availability. I spoke with Natasha, one of the owners, and she said there was plenty of availability, so I didn’t think much about it and didn’t have time to research.

We arrived at around 10:30pm. Nobody was at the front door. We rang the bell. Nobody answered. There is a phone next to the door that says to call it if nobody answers, so I did that. Finally the owners opened the door. They were either sleeping or really tired when they answered. Check in was easy w/Natasha – the husband owner (Harry, I think) was nice and they brought their dog out to meet ours. It was really sweet. They had a teenage son lurking around too, I think.

The hotel seemed completely empty, except for the room, #54, next to ours, which we could hear the guests in from the hallway. We checked in to room #55. I couldn’t understand why, if the hotel was empty, they’d put us next to the only other people staying there. Needless to say, it was AWFUL. The two windows in the room were cracked open and the adjoining door wouldn’t lock. The floors were filthy, stained and frayed. The bathroom was vile – dirty, stained, and the shower head was leaking. There was trash and crumbs under the beds. Holes and stains were on the walls. The refrigerator in the room’s freezer was almost frozen all the way through. The phone wasn’t plugged in and the wire was broken. And the comforter on one of the beds had a large blood stain on it. I didn’t even bother checking the other bed. On the upside – I didn’t see any bugs.

So I went back downstairs to the lobby to see if they could lock the adjoining door, because above all, security was my biggest issue here so far (which is saying a lot given the room itself). Again… Nobody was at the front door. I rang the bell. Nobody answered. I had to call the phone. I woke them up again. I told the owners about the adjoining door not locking and they moved me to room #53 because for whatever reason, they couldn’t lock the adjoining door either. Again, why immediately next to room #54? The husband owner walked me up the stairs and at that point, the folks in #53 apparently were partying it up, because you could smell the weed in the hallway. When I commented to the owner about “so much for non-smoking rooms”, he blew it off saying, “I can’t do anything.”

Ummm…how about kicking them out for smoking in the non-smoking room maybe? Call the cops for illegal drug use perhaps? Seriously??? Nothing????

So I go in to room #53 and again – another room where the adjoining doors don’t lock – what the??? This room was equally disgusting, except it had been painted, so it was marginally better décor wise – but there were still holes and stains on the wall which was totally confusing. Other than that, the floors, bathroom, leaking showerhead, surfaces, linens, and refrigerator - all were totally disgusting. The bathroom vent was also making some crazy noise when I turned it on and black stuff was literally raining down on the toilet below. When I pulled back the comforter, it was crystal clear that the sheets had not been changed since – I don’t know – maybe ever. There were curly hairs, long hairs, and pubes all over the sheets and the pillows had been conveniently flipped over to hide the stains.

So at this point, I made the decision to leave – which I have never done before. I thought about spending another 10 minutes standing outside, in the dark, freezing, and waking up the owners a 3rd time that night, but I was tired, they had tried to be nice, and so my husband and I left and stayed at another hotel down the street, hoping that I could stop by in the morning, discuss the issue with the owners, show them my receipt for the other hotel, and get a refund.

This did not happen.

I stopped by the hotel around 8:30am to turn in my key and see about the refund, to which, yet again, nobody was at the front door. Instead, there was a sign that said “I’ll be back in 45 min. Give the keys to the maid.”

I couldn’t help but laugh because the whole thing was so outrageous. On a Sunday morning, there is NOBODY AVAILABLE TO CHECK GUESTS OUT???

There was no maid to be found anywhere on site either. Luckily, I ran in to the painters onsite, explained my situation, and they said the owners were at church, but that the manager, Sam, would probably be able to work something out. They also mentioned that, “The maid was fired 3 days ago, so maybe that’s why the room wasn’t clean.”

Unreal. So…if the maid was fired, how was I supposed to leave the keys with her anyway???

I gave one of the painters my key and left.

So I get home, and I call the Desert Lodge, ask for Sam, he gets on the phone, I explain the situation and – get this - he tells me to call back in 2 hours and then hangs up on me! What kind of poor customer service is that?

So, I wasn’t able to call back that day, but I did call back the following day to try and get my refund. Natasha answered and told me that Sam said that because “Somebody saw you here. You were here.” that they would not issue me a refund, regardless of the fact I had another receipt from another hotel. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. Obviously I was there…I woke her up two times! OMG.

My summary on the experience at this hotel is below. Overall – I would say sleep in your car rather than stay here – at least you can lock it, there is a good chance that it’s cleaner, and you don’t have to contribute to a dime of Sam’s salary.

Pros:
• Dog friendly
• The OWNERS (Natasha and her husband) were nice, albeit extremely tired apparently, and they had a really cute dog, Rocky.
• Free wifi
• Pool on site (not sure about the quality since it was in the 40’s F while I was there). It didn’t appear to be heated.
• No bugs – and I checked THOUROUGHLY
• No reservations required (because nobody wants to say here)
• Plenty of parking (again, because nobody wants to say here)

Neutrals:
• TV worked – it was an older TV (not a flat panel), but they had 30-40 channels
• Heater worked, not sure about the A/C since it was cold
• Surrounding neighborhood seemed safe.
• The towels seemed relatively new and not terrible.

Cons: most everything else
• There is not 24/7 service in the lobby (or anywhere else on site). You will be required to wait and or wake somebody up. Actually, there is barely service at all.
• The manager, Sam, is horrible to deal with and should be fired.
• Safety may be an issue - Windows were open in one of the rooms we stayed in; adjoining room doors don’t lock.
• Sheets and comforters were not clean
• Floors were not clean – they were stained and unvacuumed.
• Bathrooms are not clean, faucets are leaking
• Vents are unsafe – shrapnel falls out of them
• Décor is terrible
• Walls are dirty and stained
• Phone wasn’t plugged in. When I used it to call the front desk, nobody answered. Phone wire was broken.
• ALL SURFACES ARE DIRTY, including countertops, dresser, nightstands, tables – ALL OF THEM.
• They don’t vacuum at all – especially under the bed. There was trash and crumbs everywhere under the bed and my dog would not stop trying to eat stuff under there.
• The fridges are junk and the freezers in them are almost frozen solid.
• The vertical blinds were junk.
• The furniture was terrible - tons of cigarette burns.
• There is no complimentary breakfast or food service of any kind that I could determine.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

Let me paint a picture for you of what this place is inside and out:

- Uneven colored walls
- Huge cracks and cockroach-infested holes in bathroom
- Cigarette burns on bed sheets, hair strands on pillow cases
- Extremely dirty carpet
- Vomit-stained shutters
- Disgusting stains on TV remote

And the list really goes on.. But you get the idea! Please save your money and spend it elsewhere, or if you're really on a budget, consider sleeping in your car, because unless you don't care about your safety and health, you cannot stay here. If you absolutely must, make sure your body is immune to skin diseases and prepare yourself to face some of the strangest hotel receptionists in your life!!!

Also make sure you have some heavy duty padlocks for your luggage, as the doors to the rooms look like there have been incidents of force entry! Do not even think about being barefoot in the room as you might get some foot infection.

Wow I could not even sleep in there I literally felt safer to be outside than inside, but as soon as I drove around I saw their dumpster area where all these mattresses were, they had all kinds of stains in them. Oh my goodness I had to take all my stuff and checked in to another hotel! This place seriously gave me the creeps!!!

Hotel from hell!!! Palm springs needs to shut this place down it is giving the town a very bad name. Scary!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011
7 Thank ifoundnem0

Travellers are raving about these Palm Springs hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

What a dump! This hotel needs to be smashed to the ground and rebuilt. We had a cockroach in our room, our room reeked of smoke, the wifi was horrendous (dont say you have it if its been broken for months). Stay at the travelodge next door, way better!

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank travelincannuck
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

A one night stay here was not particularly pleasant although the owner was helpful. Rooms were clean but very run down, no evidence of bed bugs as noted in previous reviews.

• Stayed April 2011
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

Absolutely, positively the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. It wouldn't even have been worth the $34 they falsely advertised on their billboard by the entrance, which the manager admitted was "just to get people in.". It was extremely dirty, the whole place was falling apart, the pool was unusable, the walls were paper thin and the worst part was that they charged $169 for the night in a non-smoking room that reeked of smoke. It was only because every other hotel room under $400 in Pslm Springs was already booked that we had to stay at this awful place. Never, never stay here. Save your money and sleep in your car.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Cecily47
Beaumont, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

This is an older PS Lodge, a little rough around the edges but we've had clean rooms and friendly service. Great location and comfortable pool and spa, with no hours! We've had weekend getaways in PS with more expensive rooms and just as rough. Don't expect fancy, lavish accomodations in this price range...it won't happen in Palm Springs. We have been back four/five visits and every visit has been worth the money. We usually book on priceline.com .

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Union City, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

Bad experience, I was bit by ticks in the room. Room is not clean. Poor customer service, bad attitude towards customer. When I complained during check out the owner told me nobody complained about the hotel, she probably never checked the reviews online.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple