“Clean but dated”
Review of Desert Lodge

Desert Lodge
Ranked #67 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Received a promotional stay for two days. The room was dated but clean. The room did have a working microwave and refrigerator. The room was not cleaned after the first night but manager gave me towels. The ice machine was not operable so no ice. The tub was peeling and the tiered towel rack fell off the wall. (it was not being used anyway). Looked like the majority of the tenants were long term but saw no evidence of drug activity. Pool and surrrounding area was excellent although we did not use that facility.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Desert Lodge

Reviewed 19 May 2012

If you're looking for the convenience of being two doors down from a meth dealer, then yes, stay here, but if you are looking for clean, safe and quiet, this is not the place for you.

I wasn't sure about the previous reviews because they went from 4 to 2,1 and I thought perhaps there were some upset ex-employees or the competition, but no; this is them - all them.

Before arriving to the hotel I called to make sure my room would have a fridge and I was told that it would - a simple request, but upon arriving and walking into the concrete floored room, the broken fridge was the least of my complaints.
It was important for me to have a working fridge for my medicine and I asked to be moved to another room. It was after 5 and I was told I would have to wait for the room to be cleaned. I know there are no housekeepers working after 5 so I knew the cleaning would be done minimally by a manager. I didn't even have a chance to see how clean this room was because I was knocked over by the stifling heat. The AC was not working.
Two rooms later I asked for a resolution. The manager said he would 'take care' of me and put me in an exterior lower floor room in the back of the hotel. I drove around to see where I was going to stay and was relieved to come into a carpeted room with a working AC, but again, broken fridge. I didn't understand why they could not place the only working fridge in this room, but I knew there was no point in waiting to see what room number 4 would bring.

There is no excuse for carpet so dirty that walking around barefoot will leave your feet black within minutes. I wouldn't recommend walking around barefoot anyway because you may step on one of the many roaches crossing the room.
I couldn't turn the lights off because the moment I did, they all came in - or out, i'm not sure where they came from originally, but soon I realized there was more than the puke stains on the wall - those stains were roaches and they were coming and going from the ceiling cracks, the cracks in the shelves and the parking lot. Of course the inch of space underneath the door didn't make it very difficult for anything to come in from the street.
Not more than an hour of being in this place I had to take a shower and decided to open the window, that's when I came eye to eye with a druggie as he rode his bicycle on the walkway to make his purchase.
When I stepped out of the shower I noticed the AC was no longer working and I could hear all the dealings going on in the neighboring room. I didn't need to use their grey towels but I did need to speak to a manager.
When I went to the night desk I rang the bell and waited, no answer. I called them using the desk phone to directly connect - no answer.
I tried to sleep with no AC and all the lights on but I finally gave in and went to sleep in my car, which was a lot cooler, except, the deals continued well into the dawn so I didn't feel safe rolling my window down much.
In the morning when I went to speak to the manager he said he couldn't move my room because they were sold out. I find that very hard to believe, but he said that maintenance would be there at 8 and would come to my room to fix the AC.
The maintenance worker Gene was really apologetic and professional. He fixed the AC in no time and said he was available for anything else we may need. He also told me that the second light switch on the wall was for the fridge. I could not believe that the managers didn't tell me that.
I don't blame the housekeeping and maintenance for this mess, this is clearly cheap managing and lack thereof. A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would go a long way. I know housekeeping has to work with what they are given within a short amount of time, but there is no excuse for vomit on the walls. As for the cracks, filthy carpet, broken appliances and unsafe corners, that is all management.
Palm Springs shouldn't allow places like this in their town, it gives them a bad name. I understand there needs to be different price brackets for hotels and tourists of all means, but there are sanitation laws as well as safety and health code violations blatantly being broken in this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank traveling_hskmanager
Reviewed 22 April 2012

You know Its really hard to believe that the last entery wasn't placed by the owner. New managers dont take over till the 1st and old managers left in disgust.They were the ones trying to do repairs.Everytime they needed something done They paid out of their own pockets. Nothing has improved except the 2 or 3 rooms they keep a little extra nice so they can manipulate someone into a good review.Check the other reviews --Please,. they are alot more accurate.Mantainence works like a dog just to patch up thinks all day long. There are no repairs ,no new paint, same old towels and sheets.If your looking for a good room for "stagecoach" look elsewhere there are plenty of clean reasonable rooms around. Oh and the manager RON he is a part time desk clerk,

Room Tip: Rooms north or south of here!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank gena g
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I paid 149 for this hell hole and if my son wasn't sink I would of Ran. The room I got the air conditioner didn't work and the room smell badly like Mold when I ask to be moved the owner or manager said I would have to pay more then I ask for a refund so maybe I can go next door, No Refund. The owner needs a lesson in customer service. The only thing was good was the maintenance man was kind and tried his best. The dump would of been better or cooler. If your coming down here please save your money or go else where or sleep in your car.The ice machine didn't work nothing in this place work this owner needs to put some money that he over charges for this pit in his rooms. Please read all your reviews I should of a lot of them weren't lying, Run...

Room Tip: Any where else but here Desert Lodge, spend your money where it be worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank mary s
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed here a year ago and it was awful, vowing never to come back, but on our last visit, as we were driving by, we noticed the pool area had been re-painted and there were new umbrellas as well as lounge chairs.

So we decided to give this poor old place another chance. When we walked in we were greeted by a very professional yet personable gentleman named Ron and he asked how we were doing and even offered us a glass of water, because it was very hot out that day. Anyway, we commented on our stay last year and the dirty room we had and he told us that the place is under new ownership as well as management and that everyone here takes pride in the property(unlike the previous management) and has tried very hard to make improvements. "Considering how they left the place, I think you will find the rooms to be a lot better than a year ago, it has been tough trying to get the rooms updated, things replaced, re-painted etc... and all the little quirks out, and there is still a lot left to do but we are making headway".

So we decided to see if Ron was a man of his word. Sure enough as we walked into the room he rented us, right away I noticed it was clean, much, much cleaner than our last stay, and although the rooms and building are old, the room did show many signs of improvements and a few things that needed to be done, just as Ron had told us. The Air conditioner was new, the room was re-painted, the carpet looked freshly cleaned, the sheets crisp and clean, and the only complaint was that the bed spreads could be replaced, but we take them off anyway, and the bathroom counter top had some deep stains in it and could use a face lift, as well as the side of the tub which showed some aging, but both areas were at least very clean. So for the great price we got, I call this "The Little Hotel That Can" and you should give it a chance. Hopefully by the time we come back again the place will be where Ron and the Staff want it to be.

Kelly and Elaine Myers
Huntington Beach, CA

Room Tip: Tell Ron or any staff member you were here last year 2011 and had a bad room and that you heard abou...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Please do yourself a favor and book down the street. There are plenty of hotels for the coachella festival .This motel has no amenities, pool is not heated, half the a/cs do not work. Mold,smells, dirty linens, thin towels,Really Awful!!! Bed bug issue in some rooms,phones dont work.Not worth 39$ let alone anything over 100$.

Room Tip: Down the street anywhere Oh and the manager writes good reviews for himself when things start lookin...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank lillian f
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I've stayed here twice.

The first time the room's ceiling leaked, it smelled heavily of mildew, and it had to tie the back door shut with fishing line as there was no way to lock it.

The second time the room's faucet leaked...and the water looked as it paint had been mixed with it.

They do not appear to ever except their coupons and do not expect the amenities advertised on the coupons. Air conditioning machines are also painfully loud, which is a bit of an issue in the desert.

Even if you are just looking for a cheap place to stay...this is not a safe place.

Room Tip: If you expect certain things in your room, ask to see the room first (though given what they plan on...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo