“Great place, but more of a hard-nosed business than a friendly hotel”

Riviera Palm Springs Resort
Ranked #44 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 15 June 2014

A modern and impressive looking hotel, with good sized and well-appointed rooms. However, our two-night stop at the Riviera was spoiled by a couple of things. We arrived on the Sunday - it wasn't a very warm welcome and no-one offered to help with luggage, finding room, etc. But it was 105 degrees and the main sunbathing area looked great, with inviting looking pools and a nice bar area with iced air to cool the customers. But wow... the music was SO LOUD!! The sound system. played continual ambient club bass&drum music so loudly that we had to leave and find a more quiet place to relax. I am a musician myself and appreciate music, but this was over-the-top loud, repetitive, banal - and inappropriate.
On the Monday we went straight to the secondary pool area, where the music was quieter. It was 108 degrees and the pool bar area was... closed!! The sound system was on some kind of loop playing Californian-themed music over and over. I must have heard 'Surfin' USA' at least seven or eight times before heading back to my room for a drink of water, feeling frustrated and disappointed at the obvious lack of consideration for guest's comfort.
When I complained at check out, I got the feeling they were not interested in listening, just smiling and trying to get rid of us.
It's a really nice hotel and you pay good money to stay there, but is obvious they are more interested in making more money by cutting corners (no pool bar service in 108 degrees?!) than actually providing a great service experience.
I will go back to Palm Springs but will definitely look elsewhere next time.

2  Thank Brian M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,616)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I've stayed at the Riviera MANY times and it never disappoints. Both pools are incredible, each have their own benefits to offer. The sidebar has great drinks for an evening cocktail and the restaurant, Circa, is so good that it's hard to head in to Palm Springs to eat elsewhere! The staff is always so nice and helpful and there is always plenty of self parking.The decor is cool, love the chandeliers everywhere and the decor in the room is so unique. Love this place!

1  Thank Jennie P
Circa59GM, Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

We're so glad to have a loyal fan in you, Jennie, and to hear that you continue to enjoy the many offerings of our resort. Please be sure to reach out to the team if there's anything we can do to make your visits more enjoyable!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We cannot say enough about the service, amenities, care, attentiveness, and overall class of this hotel. We will definitely be back and so will most of our friends who stayed there this past weekend as well. Thank you Riviera, you exceeded our expectations!

Room Tip: We stayed in the large suite facing the pool. It had a great view and served as our cabana for Satu...
1  Thank Jenn L
Circa59GM, Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thanks for being our guest and for offering us such exceptional feedback of your stay, Jenn. We're thrilled that you and your friends enjoyed our playful site and the dedicated services of our team. We look forward to welcoming you back and encourage you to reach out to the team with any of your future booking needs. Thanks again, and all our best until then!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I booked a pool facing room specifically for the view and got upgraded to a suit that faced out towards the parking lot. I was not happy.

Later that evening I was awoke at 3/4am by nicely dressed people playing football in the hallway. I was not pleased.

Then around 9am the next day, I had someone knock on my door, I get out of bed to go answer it and as I am about halfway to the door, I hear the keycard entering the lock and a male opens the door. My girlfriend was meanwhile laying naked in bed, fortunately I was not, as I am used to sleeping dressed. After he poked his head in, I urgently said hello...and he pulls back his head as he closes the door. Hmm a master keycard, that must have been an employee right? I'm not feeling respected.

Then it kind of happens again. As we are packing our things, because you know we were awake after the previous fright, another knocking comes. This time they let me open the door first. Just to see if I had checked out yet...

You can chalk it up to real snotty service or really a bad roll of the dice. I believe people don't mean to be rude, I mean we are all basically nice people...Or at least that is what I'm going to tell myself.

There was one positive thing about the event. The room we got was much farther from the raging pool parties and fire pit group gathers. They were still going strong, even some of the private sweets facing the pool had dj's, bars, and edc lights flashing. That was what we saw when we walked through them to check it out before bed. The bed was nice and soft, we both really enjoyed it. My room was silent enough for me to get as best sleep as I could for being awoken multiple times.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LuluK5
Circa59GM, Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thanks for being our guest and for taking the time to share this review with us. We're extremely sorry to hear of your experiences with the team, and we'll most certainly address your concerns with them to prevent reoccurrence. We strive to afford a relaxing experience in all capacities while you're our guest, and it's clear we missed the mark in this case. We apologize for that, and we encourage you to reach out to our management team with those lingering concerns you might have. Thanks again for your stay and thoughtful feedback.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I think for the price it was good, especially if a nice pool is important to your R&R. If you like to party, Saturday night have a dj pool party but the family pool was quiet & practically empty but equally beautiful. The hallways were a little dingy but the guest rooms were surprisingly sheek-mod. The hotel offers many choices for entertainment, lounges & little mini bars throughout the main building of the property which was nice to pick from a wide variety of live cover band music, to piano lounge, to dj dance top 40 mix. Only ate bar appetizers so I cant say how the food was but my sliders were ok. The pools have bars but also pool-side attendants taking drink orders. There were alot of couples & bachelor/bachelorette groups but it wasn't overwhelming.like Vegas.

Room Tip: We were the complete LAST unit of the building so it was very quiet. But we didn't get a cool ba...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Many thanks for visiting and for taking the opportunity to extend us this thoughtful review of the experience. It's a pleasure to have welcomed you to our site and to hear that you were able to enjoy a broad spectrum of our offerings. Whether you're looking to playfully engage or take a more tranquil rest by the pool, there's something for every whimsy here, and we're glad to have been able to share the experience with you. Please be sure to reach out again the next time you're in the area; we'd love to host you again!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I really enjoyed my experience at the Riveria this past weekend. The hotel room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. It was so elegant and there were so many fun things going on at the resort! We didn't even have to leave. We were able to spend all day at the resort pool party, relax in the lounge, play some pool with the bedazzled pool table! Everything was so nice. The restaurant was delicious as well. I had breakfast at the outdoor cafe and it was very reasonably priced. My favorite part of the trip was the live band that played on Saturday night. I had such a blast and would love to return.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for visiting and for extending us such lovely feedback of your experience, Valerie. We're always so happy to hear guests take full advantage of our expansive offerings and that you were able to find both play and relaxing comfort in our company. We'd love the chance to welcome you back, and we hope that you'll reach out again the next time you're in Palm Springs!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The first version of my review wasn't allowed to be posted by TripAdvisor so I'm scaling back on the anger here. I'm taking the time to write a new and less hostile version only to warn others so they don't suffer as I (and my friends) did. I hope I am allowed to say I'd give zero stars if it was an option.
This hotel is probably awesome if you are in your early 20s and want to get your party on day and night. For anyone else it's a miserable place to be stuck. I have been to Palm Springs and Palm Desert many times and stayed many different places. This was far and away the worst experience I've ever had, probably worst of any hotel in any place ever. I won't go into a lot of detail as that may prevent this from being posted. Let's just say there was super rowdy noisy partying above and next door to my room both nights. I was assured when calling ahead of arrival and upon arrival that despite the reviews this was not a crazy party hotel and that I would indeed have a quiet and peaceful room for my weekend girls getaway. We are moms in our 40s who wanted just some relaxation and sleep and we got neither. I feel like I was conned by the hotel staff and would have appreciated honesty up front and would have just checked in to another hotel no problem.
I did not get a refund for my stay (nor did my friends) and given I got maybe 2-3 hours of sleep each of the two nights strung together between calls to the desk in the middle night asking them to quiet down my partying neighbors I feel I should have received every penny back. I'd prefer to have my weekend back though so we could stay elsewhere.

3  Thank F S

We appreciate your time in sharing these concerns with us, and we'd like to assure you that we're given them our immediate attention. We understand this doesn't change your experience, and we apologize for that. We'd certainly welcome the opportunity to further discuss this visit with you, and we encourage you to reach out to our management team at your next available opportunity. Thanks again for your time and or your continued attention.