“OK, poor room service, cleanliness and over priced.”

Riviera Palm Springs Resort
Ranked #42 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I checked in on a late Friday night and stayed till Sunday. When checking in the clerk said "oh I see you requested a room with a pool view" we answered yes and then he said well your lucky we have one left! We get to the room and it was a view of the parking lot! I called the front desk to explain. The woman who answered put me on hold to try to find out where the mix up was. I then hear someone talking on the line... I said "hello?" The man on the phone asked if I could bring him extra towels? I said excuse me? He said he called the front desk about an hour ago and no one came. I laughed and told him I was another guest and didn't know why were connected. I called back to the front desk and got hung up on. I called back again and no one answered!! Me and my husband gave up. The room was nice even without the view. The next morning I asked for a breakfast menu of the restaurant onsite at 10:30am. The lady was nice and said she would send one right up. It never came. We ended up leaving at 12:cup0 to have breakfast at Denny's
down the street. The rest of the weekend went OK being me and my husband enjoyed each others company by the pool and in the room. I do have to also mention I did see a bug in the restroom and there were ants in a cup that had soda in it from the night before. Over all I would say it's "OK" they might need some additional help?

• Stayed: July 2014
Circa59GM, Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

We're glad to have welcomed you and appreciative of your thoughtfulness in lending us this feedback. We certainly love the opportunity to learn and grown from our guests' experiences, and we apologize for those service shortcomings associated with your own. We'll most certainly share these concerning points with our team, and we hope to welcome you back down the road and to share in our more typically detail-oriented offerings. It would be a pleasure to host you, and we encourage your to reach out to our management team the next time you're headed this way.

There are newer reviews for Riviera Palm Springs Resort

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The Riviera Palm Springs was an incredible experience. I brought a group of 43 for 2 nights and all of our needs were taken care of from the moment we got to the resort. Staff is friendly and helpful, always there to please. All issues were taken care of immediately (key issues etc). Lobby and spa are beautiful; pools are both nice and warm. Rooms are absolutely breathtaking, and beds are incredibly comfortable. A special thank you to Gloria Ware for making our experience an unforgettable one. I will definitely be returning in the near future.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Shayna B
Circa59GM, Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

It's such a pleasure to have shared this visit with you and to hear that our attentive guest services set the mark for your visit. We strive to create lasting memories for our guests, and whether you're with us as an individual or a large group, we aim to offer an incomparable hospitality. We're appreciative of your feedback regarding this, and we look forward to your return and to showcasing even more of the hospitality you come to expect from our dedicated team. All our best until then, and many thanks again for your visit and review!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We arrived on a Sunday late afternoon...the people from the weekend were checking out with their coolers, the aftermath of the weekend party goers, obnoxious twenty- something crowd. The quieter pool area was dirty, left over party cups even had a band-aid stuck on a side table where I sat on a lounge chair, the lounge chairs were dirty from drink & food stains. It seems to me that the crowd from the weekend only come here to get wasted, loud and be trashy. The air conditioner was not turned on in the restaurant, when I asked why was that they said well we are keeping the doors open..the reason why we chose to sit inside was to eat comfortably in a cool area. Service inside the restaurant was not good, waited 10 mins before I had to wave down a server. The tables were full of bread crumbs probably from the night before.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank LAparis2009

While we're glad to have welcomed you, we're terribly sorry for the shortcomings associated with your stay. Our resort certainly is certainly a playful weekend escape, but that's little justification for what you've referenced here. We apologize for that, and we hope that you'll reach out to our management team with these concerns and afford us the opportunity to welcome you back at our more typical best. It would be a pleasure to host you again, and we encourage you to reach out and to afford us this opportunity. All our best, and our sincere apologies again for those circumstances of your visit.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Where am I? As I walked to meet my friends by the "quieter pool", (aka the pool that didn't have a DJ playing obnoxiously loud drum beats that is supposed to be music thus rendering you deaf) I passed an empty 18 pack box of Bud Light on the floor in the hall. A girl of 21 comes out of the door in a towel and kicks it to get by and then has to jump over a pile of ice left on the ground in the hall near the ice machine.

Where am I? Then I get out to my friends but have to first witness another gal of perhaps 21 vomiting red piles of margarita(?) on the ground by her pool chair.

Where am I? My first hotel room I was given was dirty and once I was finally moved to a clean one had to wait almost a full hour to get keys to the room. Once the keys were finally given --- they didn't work!! So a very rude guy had to begrudgingly follow me to the pool amongst the beer boxes and forgotten ice and travel past the girl who thought puking on the ground was the right thing to do, to see where we were sitting so he could bring me keys that worked. (OH, AND THE "FREE" WIFI DOESN'T WORK)

Where am I? People screaming in the halls, propping their doors opened so they could shout to their friends in a different room and howling and cackling at their own childish brand of hilarity.

Where am I???? The Riviera Spa and Hotel in Palm Springs. If this sounds appealing to you - reserve your cabana by the pool now. If the idea of this repulses you - stay somewhere else. DIfferent strokes for different folks.

The room was pretty - the grounds were nice - ample parking... So I won't give it one star. But the clientele they attract with their DJ's is not appealing to me.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the side of the pool or on the side with the ugly parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Laurenantics
Circa59GM, Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

While we're glad to have welcomed you and appreciative of your review and refrain, we're sorry that the experience fell short of the mark. We certainly strive to afford each of our guests with an enjoyable and relaxing stay, and it's apparent that we missed the mark in this instance. We apologize on behalf of those guests who hindered your experience, and we hope that you'll put faith in our team to afford you a finer return. With a variety of rooms available across our expansive property and offerings to suit any interest, we're confident that we can create a positive and memorable return, and we hope that you'll reach out again and afford us the opportunity. Many thanks for your stay and thoughtful feedback; we'd love to hear more from you down the road.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

From the moment we arrived the staff was welcoming, from the valets to the host. Check in time was 4pm but we arrive a couple hours early and we had no problem checking in, fast and easy.
Pros: The room was comfy and private, the jacuzzi was hot and the pool was warm, everything we saw was clean, lobby and lounge was really welcoming with comfortable lounge chairs and pool table. Resort only a $10 cab ride to downtown to restaurants and bars.
Cons: drinks were a little pricy, which you have to purchase since you are not allowed to bring any drinks or food to the pool area. We stayed Friday thru Sunday, Friday was not to full, but Saturday it took us about 20 minutes to get a pool lounge chair. Should have more chairs to accommodate number of guest. The empty cabanas go for around $1k. Which speak for itself, but they do have tvs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juan J
Circa59GM, Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

It's such a pleasure to have shared this visit with you Juan and to hear that it was an inviting and relaxing one for you. We pride ourselves on our guest services and in creating memorable experiences for our guests, and we hope to welcome you back with visits to rival this first. Please be sure to reach out the next time you're headed our way!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

First of all, this hotel has a great pool, with fire pits and comfy chaise lounge chairs. And the front of the hotel is classy and beautiful. But beyond that, things are a little worn, room service items get left in hallways for way too long, and the resort fees are atrocious. And if you get a pool view room, consider what you are likely to end up with: a room that looks straight into the back of a cabana that has the real pool view. Lastly, you have to drive to get to most any restaurant outside the hotel, or take a cab. That's not great palm springs living, when many hotels are right in downtown, close to the many great restaurants like Trio and Lulu's, and the lively bar scene.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DiscerningInSF
Circa59GM, Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

We're glad to have been able to share in this experience with you and sorry that particular elements of your visit fell short of the mark. We strive to make each experience both enjoyable and memorable, and it's clear that did not happen in this case. With a variety of rooms available on site and a complementary trolley to help you access the nearby city, we're confident that we can stage a return visit to rival this first. We hope that you'll consider reaching out again the next time you're headed this way.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Main problem is the outrageous fees. They don't tell you when you make the reservation is that you have to pay $25 per day, per person to use their own hotel pool, even on the days you don't use it. We had 4 people in the room for a double queen room. We stayed for 3 nights over the 4th of July weekend. The room was $199 per night on hotels.com, but the hotel charged us $199 + $60 resort fees and taxes +$50 per day to use the hotel pool. The whole stay was $930, on a $600 reservation. Crazy! We didn't even use the pool on Friday and they backdated the fees to charge us for Friday as well. They enforce this heavily. There are security guards at all 6 entrances to the pool, and they won't let you into the hotel pool without a wristband, even if you show them your room key and are staying at the hotel! I have stayed at 100's of hotels and have never seen this bizarre policy.

Also, stay at the main pool, the tiki bar pool has way too many drunk people on the weekends, it also smells like urine and vomit at night, as well as the hallways of the hotel. The police were there escorting some one out the night we were there.

Hotel room was great and soundproof, which was crucial, but I will not be coming back here, just because they scam you on resort fees and wristband fees for the pool. Stay away, stay far away. There are a lot of great hotels in Palm Springs, this is not one of them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank worldtravelersteph
Circa59GM, Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

We're sorry to hear of these frustrations associated with your stay, as we work to be entirely transparent regarding the competitive resort fee of our property. It's clear that you had concerns regarding our pool, and for that we apologize, but we do hope you were able to take advantage of some of our many other offerings afforded by this charge. We'd welcome the opportunity to further discuss this visit and to welcome you back, and we hope that you'll reach out to our team again.