“I love it , but it is not perfect!”

Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
“I love it , but it is not perfect!”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

generally i prefer a new modern resort ,but you stay at the viceroy here for the love of the
old palm springs feeling it has, , don't get me wrong it is clean and pleasant ,but not perfect i like its style,i had great service, found the staff friendly and helpful.
i recommend it to all my friends. think its a fun
it is a great location, and you barely drive when you stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for your candid review. I am glad that you enjoyed the old Palm Springs feeling of our property. Yes, there are new modern resorts in town, but the historic charm of our property cannot be recreated. Thank you for your great comments about the service and staff and for recommending us to your friends. On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Diego Heredia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Essex
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We stayed at the Viceroy for 10 days and realised after about 3 days that this is not the sort of hotel to stay for longer that a few days.

This is the first time we had chosen to stay in a boutique hotel and we were very disappointed. We have stayed in numerous four and five star hotels in the States which are by far a much higher standard.

We had a standard room which was a bit small by american standards. Very limited hanging space for our clothes and when I complained to the management, they provided us with a clothes rail which made our room even more cramped.

We had another problem with our room and the management very reluctantly moved us to a another room which was bigger with a seperate bedroom and sitting area. The only drawback being it was right next to the pool which is surrounded by trees and made our room very dark. We needed to have the light on all day when in the room.

The decorating is ok if you like black stripes on the walls and on the carpet. Each room had a very large wrought iron yellow chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Which is ok, but ours was right by the patio door and was a bit of a safety hazard if you're taller than 5ft 3ins!!

The bathrooms are a bit small we had 2 in our room which was ok. The toiletries provided in the bathrooms was plentiful and of good quality. Large bottles of shower gel, shampoo and body lotion in each bathroom.

We had breakfast by the pool on most days and we must say that the food was of a very high standard and value for money. We did not eat in the Citron restuarant becase it was a bit pricey and there are plenty of good restaurants to eat in the town.

The waiters and pool staff gave us good service. Although we were disappointed in the service at reception and management.

The hotel was very clean to the point you felt that you couldn't relax without someone cleaning round you. On several occassions we sat round the pool with someone using a jet washer around us.

Overall, we didn't "feel at home" at all at this hotel and were very disappointed. We shall not be staying at the Viceroy again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I apologize about the issues with the original room that you booked. I am glad that my team was able to provide you with a complimentary upgrade to a suite. I am also delighted that you enjoyed the large bottles of Neil George products and that the service, staff and quality of food where all to your expectations. I do hope that you give us the opportunity to welcome you back. Please contact me directly so that I can assist you with any future arrangements.
London, UK
Reviewed 9 June 2011

$172.50 per night, booked direct and included the Breath package giving us a 25% discount on all F&B purchased in the hotel.

This hotel is very impressive, beautifully presented, chic and yet calm with stunning manicured grounds and three very cool (heated) pools.

Staff were very helpful indeed; nothing too much trouble and ultra courteous.

Our only problem was that the rooms were really small and we found ourselves negotiating around open wardrobe draws, taking turns in the bathroom etc.

Other minor niggles: Wifi was intermittent and slow, we had no safe in our room and the heater was very, very noisy during the night so we ended up switching it off.

In summary however, we really did love this hotel, presented immaculately with equally impressive service, very good food and bar service, quiet if you pick the right pool – a real oasis in a great location less than 5 minutes from the centre of Palm Springs.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you took advantage of our amazing “Breathe Package” which offers 25% discount on rates, food and beverage and Spa. Thank you for your comments about the décor, beautiful grounds, courteous staff, great food and bar service and amazing location just steps from downtown. I have shared you wonderful comments with the rest of the team. On behalf of everyone at Viceroy, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please contact me directly I you need assistance with your future arrangements.
California
Reviewed 4 June 2011

As a guest at the Santa Monica Viceroy I had high expections for the Palm Springs property - these were met and exceeded!. Currently staying here on a weekend getaway. Overall property and location are excellent. Had an excellent meal at the Citron restaurant - made even more enjoyable by our server Harrison (hold onto that guy - he is a great asset!). After initial disappointment with not being able to get a sun lounger by ANY pool (loungers had been vacated but towels not being cleared so appeared that customers were still there) I spoke to Don at the front desk. A short while later Don had personally arranged and reserved a sun bed, towels, pillows and LA times - that is incredible customer service that will keep me coming back to the property with friends, family and business associates - not to mention recommending to others the only place to stay in Palm Springs.

If you are looking for a relaxing boutique getaway with a caring staff full of passion then look no further. The manager here clearly spends time on the hotel's most important asset - the staff that make the magic happen, guests feeling welcome and special and wanting to come back. Special thanks to Don, Harrison, the awesome valet chap we met when we pulled up and has been looking after us since (sorry I didn't remember the name) . Sad to be leaving tomorrow... I have no doubt we will be back in pretty short order!!

Room Tip: If not in villa ask for patio room not balcony
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that my team exceeded your expectations. I have shared you wonderful comments with the rest of the team in particular Harrison and Don. Our staff takes pride in providing excellent service to our guests and making sure they create memorable experiences. On behalf of everyone at Viceroy, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please contact me directly I you need assistance with your future arrangements.
avalon1025
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Loved the hotel grounds and the service fromthe freidnly staff but the rooms for the price are in dire need of some updates. The main building is a converted motel and feels it, guest room bathrooms are duds. Moved to a nicer one bedroom villa, but the floors seemed dirty (they are just painted terra cotta tile), the A/C form the multiple wall units was spotty, the bathroom a mess with broken ikea-like furniture and the TV's a joke (really a 13 inch old scholl TV?? really?)

White paint does not mean trendy if its to cover over broken blinds, scuffed furniture and old dirty yellow chairs....

I really wanted to love this place, but it felt like a rip off for $400 a night.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your candid comments about the rooms. Our rooms do range from a very affordable 250 SQFT room all the way to a 900 SQFT two bedroom villa. Our wide range in room types and sizes allows plenty of flexibility depending on budget and length of stay. I am pleased to let you know that we are in the process of reupholstering some of the furniture pieces and that all the TVs will be upgraded within the next 60 days.
I look forward to your return visit. Please contact me directly so that I can make your future arrangements.
LA
Reviewed 23 May 2011

There is some lovers and some haters of this property and I could see why. First of, we usually stay outside of Palm Springs in one of the big resorts, this was our first time staying in Palm Springs. It is great just being able to walk to restaurants and stores not having to use the car. Coming from those larger resorts the first impression when you arrive in front of the Viceroy is surprising. It looks like this used to be a spanish style property with small casitas, then the style was changed to modern. I like both styles but they don't mix that well. The room we had was very small and had no balcony but we had low expectations, we got an amazing deal on Hotwire, so it was fine. That's why I am giving it 5 starts for value. But if you pay $200 and more, it's not worth it. So it all depends what your preferences are. The other option is hotel Zoso, also in Palm Springs. It is more of hotel than little casitas and when you enter the lobby it feels very modern and spacious. On the downside, the pool is surrounded by cement and does not give you that garden experience that the Viceroy gives you.
I am giving it only 3 stars for sleep quality because of the thin walls and noise from the street and A/C wall unit. You do hear the steps from the rooms upstairs. The beds are actually supercomfy.
I did like the unique design in the hotel and rooms, but don't let the website fool you, it really is all very small and not what I ewould xpect from a Viceroy.
In summary, it really depends what you are looking for, it may be perfect for some and the wrong choice for others....

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your candid comments about the property. We do have some amazing deals for some of our smaller rooms. Our rooms range from a very affordable 250 SQFT room all the way to a 900 SQFT two bedroom villa. Our wide range in room types and sizes allows plenty of flexibility depending on budget and length of stay.
Reviewed 10 May 2011

We had the pleasure of staying in palm springs viceroy for 3 days

We loved the distinctive design and choice of pools

The service was excellent, the staff were all exceptionally helpful giving us plenty of ideas for our stay and were all more than happy to help. The manager Don was exceptional.

We would definately recommend this hotel

Rob

• Stayed May 2011
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 14 May 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your three day visit with us. Thank you for your wonderful comments about our design, pools and most important service. I have shared your comments with the rest of the team, in particular Don who truly takes service to the next level. On behalf of my team we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warmest regards,