“A wonderful hotel!!”

Ranked #23 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Ojai
“A wonderful hotel!!”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We just returned home from Palm Springs and I must write to commend the Viceroy staff for making our stay so very pleasant. We were traveling with our two dogs and were surprised to find that our condo had some major damage which made it impossible for us to stay there. We had to deal with insurance and clean-up and were worried that we would not find a nice place to stay which accepts pets. Someone recommended The Viceroy and we were given a lovely room -- at a special package rate -- and were greeted warmly. The amenities were lovely and the service staff was friendly and accommodating.
As we were very tired, we decided to eat at Citron on the premises. The food was excellent and we ate there again on the second night of our stay. This hotel has a 70s vibe, is close to downtown, and provided a very restful respite for us. It is a perfect place for families as there are 3 pools or for events as there is a lovely meeting/event room with a lawn area in front, perfect for a private party.
In the future we will be eating at Citron when we go to the desert and we will recommend The Viceroy to our friends and family.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to learn about the damage you found at your condo but glad that you were able to experience the Viceroy. We take great pride at providing excellent service to all of our guests (including the four legged kind) Your wonderful comments about the service, amenities, food and location have been shared with the rest of my team.
On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon,
Diego Heredia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Overall my experience of this hotel was positive, the location is great as you really dont need a car to access all that Downtown Palm Springs has if you stay here. For the most part the staff are great especially poolside and at the front desk and valet.
However the hotel itself is in desperate need of a update. Our room was large (we had been upgraded) however the closet was tiny meaning we couldnt actually hang our clothes and for the most part we had to keep them in our cases. The furniture which looks custom made was looking past its best and the paintwork was in need of a touch up.
The food poolside was excellent as it was in Citron the Hotel restaurant. However no one seemed to know how to make a decent cocktail! On one occasion we got a warm martini and the drink wasnt shaken with ice and the glasses were fresh out of the dishwasher. Also the bar seem to be the haunt of a few locals and whilst they were made to feel very welcome on occasion we felt like we had gatecrashed a party as the barman was very standoffish with us and warm to them. The quality of the liquer was great with a wide selection but wasted when you cant get a decent drink. After a couple of days we started getting our pre-dinner drinks at other hotels (Colony and Parker) where the bar staff were great and very knowledgeable.
Having stayed at other Viceroys we felt this one really does need a shake up and a reinvention as its is looking run down.
If you are looking for a Downtown location then this is a good place to stay, other wise stay at the Parker or Colony as these have the 'x' factor the Viceroy has sadly lost.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Islington70
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you had a positive experience at the Viceroy. I do apologize about some of the defects that you experienced in your guest room and public areas. My team is working diligently at freshening up the property with the recent installation of high definition flat screen TVs to all the guest rooms and the re-plastering of the pools and spas amongst others. I do apologize about the poor quality of the cocktails and have shared your comments with our bartenders. Please rest assured that your experience was below our norm. I hope that this experience has not marred your overall impression of the Viceroy and that you may allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.
On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon,
Los Angeles
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I just stayed at the Viceroy this past weekend for one of my BFF's bridal shower and i was completely blown away by the amazing staff and services they had at the Viceroy-- not to mention the hotel is beautiful! I never write reviews (i swear) but the Viceroy is by far one the best hotels i have ever stayed at. From the Valet staff to the front desk to the waiters everyone was extremely helpful. I highly recommend this hotel for a relaxed and awesome weekend in Palm Springs--- my favorite was the 24 hour pool they had on sight literally right outside our room door , we stayed at one the Villas which was fantastic and worth every penny -- i will definitely be going back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you and your friends had an amazing weekend. Thank you for your comments about the service and overall amenities. My team takes pride in delivering excellent service to all of our guests and they will be happy to read your review. On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon,
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed here last week and thought I would share a bit of our experience. Upon arriving I gave the gentleman behind the desk our reservation name. He took an awkwardly long time just punching away on the computer. After about 10 minutes of pure strange silence I asked if there was a problem with the reservation. He said " I don't know what they have done here. I'm looking for a room for you but nothing is ready yet" Umm. It was 7PM I thought. We were not exactly early check-ins. He said to have a seat on the couch while "he worked on it". We sat and waited about another 10 minutes and he said it was ready and we would be shown to our room. No apologies for the wait or explanation as to why our room was not ready.

The room was pretty hot when we got there as the AC must not have been on prior for very long. Cleaning staff was still there working on the bathroom as we put our luggage down. No bathtub in our room which I was greatly looking forward to given our long car ride to get there. We turned up the AC. Each unit actually has individual AC units that hang out the window. Ours in particular was extremely loud and we had to endure it kicking on and off constantly through the night. It was so hot out we didn't have a choice but to leave it on. We called the front desk about it but we were informed we had the last room available at our rate.

Unfortunately, not all the hotel guests were there to relax either. Later in the evening we witnessed a few girls get really rowdy and confrontational with other guests to the point it was uncomfortable for us to be around. The girls were verbally fighting with another group of girls and security had to get involved. The next day at the pool others seemed very annoyed at the display as it was a topic of conversation on how it was dealt with. (The girls eventually were asked to leave and checked out ).

We had dinner too at the pool. The menu is nothing special but it was convenient to grab a meal and some wine at the hotel before we headed out. We decided to have breakfast the next morning as well before we checked out given it was extremely hot and we just wanted to relax at the pool. It was 115 degrees by the way. So, we headed over to the public cabana by our room for the hotel guests to enjoy and ordered some drinks and breakfast. Our drinks came and 15 minutes later when the server returned to take our breakfast order we were actually asked to leave so he could accommodate a larger party for brunch. The server told us they didn't have any room in the restaurant so they needed the cabana table. He said we could bring our breakfast to a lounger. I thought that to be incredibly rude. We moved to a non shaded lounger and we ate our breakfast in the blazing sun to accommodate non hotel guests. At a minimum they should have comped our food but it was completely unprofessional. They should have just made the restaurant patrons wait for a table to open up like a normal restaurant. The lady on the lounger next to us witnessed the server moving us and she was appalled. She stated she would have refused to move. We are not the complainer types so we just ate our breakfast and checked out but it did leave a bitter feeling that they don't care about you. Its too bad too, because we liked many things about the hotel (location, price, pools, and spa on site) but they just don't have their act completely together. So word to the wise about how some of the staff treats you here. Im kind of 50/50 about returning to this place as maybe this was just bad luck with what we came across during our stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank joshncal
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I apologize about the issue with the air conditioner in your room and for the inconvenience this may have caused you. I have also shared your comments about the pool service with our food and beverage team. Rest assured that what you experienced is below our standards and this will be handled accordingly to ensure it does not happen again. I hope that this experience has not marred your overall impression of the Viceroy and that you may allow us the opportunity to regain your trust and faith in us. Please contact me directly upon your next trip to Palm Springs so that I can personally take care of your arrangements.
Reviewed 17 July 2011

this was our second time there and we loved it! One of the best hotels we have ever been to. Great service and perfect atmosphere!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank tarek_ob
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I am glad that your second visit was as amazing as your first. On behalf of my team, we look forward to many more visits in the future.
Warmest Regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2011

OH MY! I am so in love with this place! Amazing service, fantastic decor, the pools, poolside cocktails, lounge/restaurant and THE SPA....AHHHHHHHHHHHH! The only odd thing was when we pulled around into the alley to park, we parked behind the wrong place...and accidentally walked into a rehab facility! (Awkward with our bottles of champagne and ice chest...)

Room decor was awesome, felt like we should be hobnobbing with movie stars from the 40's. The property was so meticulously maintained, with mature fruit trees everywhere. The a/c could have been better, might not be enough for me during the summer- but I got past that!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 23 July 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your wonderful comments about our service, décor, pools and spa. On behalf of my team, we look forward to your return.
Warmest regards,
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 11 July 2011

It is an oasis of style and substance in the desert! The decor is flawless (read: no ikea furniture here...think tufted velvet wingback chairs in the most basic of rooms!), the pool is uber-glamorous, and the food is perfect (dare I say they had better beignets than I found in New Orleans in the following week?!). The menu is just unique enough, pleasing the pickiest eater and a discriminating foodie. The service was fantastic all-around! There were only a couple of things that bothered me here, but not enough to send me to another hotel (I'm returning mid-August!), but that is 1) the old roadside-motel design of the hotel basically requires you to ask for help with luggage to/from your room, assuming you aren't on the bottom floor (kind of annoying), but I guess they can't really help that! and 2) again, something design-related, but there isn't room to place your shampoo and conditioner in the shower. They should really build a chic glass shelf on the wall next to the shower. I had to place the Neil George shampoo and conditioner on the ledge above the shower, and the plastic dispenser on both fell and broke! I really want to try the spa next time! Overall, this is one of those places that you will be hard pressed to find fault with! I only rated it 4 stars because I recently stayed at the super-spacious Four Seasons in Scottsdale that went so far above and beyond in every area...that represents a new benchmark of perfection. But, this is pretty close to perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for a bottom-level room for easy entry/exit to/from the hotel or pool.