“Modern, comfortable, will stay again.”

Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs
Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 13 January 2013

My boyfriend and I spent one night at the hotel. And next time we visit we will stay longer if we can. The hotel is very modern and eclectic. We didn't get to use the pool however the hot tub was wonderful, at night the pool area looks magical. Our room was upgraded and was really nice, it overlooked the pool, I was worried it might be loud and that they might play loud music. But it was fine. Room and bed were good. Ate breakfast on our balcony in the morning and it was good, the food was better than expected. We booked the room for $125 on booking.com, was very impressed for how much we paid. Will return!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
MHGouhier, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Melissa,
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will be back soon to sunny Palm Springs.
All the best
Marie Helene

Write a ReviewReviews (1,215)

Reviewed 8 January 2013

A very different kind of hotel with a lot of yesteryear charm and comfort. I found this place on the web and got a great deal when attending a conference in Palm Springs and most other hotels were either full or overpriced. The Viceroy was perfect. Loved the decor in the room, the gardens, the pools, the outdoor dining, the bar and bartenders... all contributed to a very enjoyable stay. I'd go here again and take my family along as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room near the fountain. Beautiful setting.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear Mikalis, Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We look forwards to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family. Safe travels
Marie Helene

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Oh Viceroy, I wanted to love you but reading reviews before I arrived I knew I might not. I was excited to see the decor which looked beautiful online (black, white and yellow with pops of silver).

We had booked a villa as there were a few of us sharing. Walking up to the villa we were impressed, it was located in the fountain courtyard surrounded by palm trees. The outdoor space is very pretty, especially at night when the lanterns and fairy lights are lit. There are three nice pools, a few cabanas and the landscaping is immaculate.

The villa was a huge disappointment, this place desperately needs a face lift! The room smelled, the white floors and walls were scuffed, the beautiful yellow chairs were dirty, the sofa bed was stained, the white dining table and chairs were chipped and the bathroom was dingy. Our private patio was a mess, the seating area was covered in dirt and the seating cushions torn.

We spoke to a really nice girl in reception (Anna?) and showed her a few photo's. The manager agreed and moved us and our luggage into a different villa while we went out for dinner. Wow, talk about night and day, still a few flaws but a huge improvement. The new villa was larger (free upgrade) but it was also in much better shape than the first. Two beautiful bedrooms, two huge bathrooms, living room, dining room and kitchen. It was my dad's birthday that next morning so we got to enjoy coffee and chocolate croissants from Citron which were delicious.

I really appreciated what the Viceroy did as it made our stay much more enjoyable. I hope the Viceroy get's the updates it needs soon as it's a great boutique hotel in a beautiful area of Palm Springs. The staff were wonderful, we were all well looked after and would visit again... once the updates have been done :)

Room Tip: Maybe check to see if any upgrades have been made before you book.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Spent 2 nights here in December and would definitely recommend it. Loved the decor and the beautiful grounds Perfect for Palm Springs. The staff were really friendly without being too much. There are 3 pool areas and 2 are adults only. Also made use of 1 of the 2 hottubs, after enjoying a treatment at the Estrella Spa. There is a small but adequate gym and fitness room.
We ate dinner at the restaurant, which was superb and breakfast was equally good. The Viceroy is perfectly located for walking to downtown.

Room Tip: We booked a premium studio room and got one overlooking the pool area. in busier times, it would pro...
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Due to the rates of this hotel and misleading photos I was shocked by the small size of the public spaces. There is no lobby! Pools, restaurant and bar are tiny!
Stylish design in this case does not justify the high ticket.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I booked in for three days, starting December 29, 2012. I made my reservation four weeks in advance. They stuck me in a teeny tiny corner room with chipped furniture. The paint job in the room looks like it was done by middle school students. It aspires to be some kind of empire design. Basically, the accommodations are equivalent to a cheap roadside motel with a bit of paint splashed on. As an added bonus, the WiFi does not work in the room because the hotel is too cheap to boost the signal far enough to reach the room. As an additional added bonus, the bathroom is not clean. The walls in the room are filthy. I particularly enjoy the handprints from prior guests and red markings on the bathroom walls. The room is so small, it is almost impossible to navigate around the bed. For this, we are paying $370 a night - terrible.

There is one woman at the desk. She has too much to do and, as a result, is of limited usefulness. At check-in she told us there were no reservations available for dinner that night. I was able to reserve a table myself five minutes later. The wait staff is kind and courteous. The management and accommodations, however, are a disaster.

Don't waste your time - book somewhere else. This place is worth, perhaps, 80 dollars a night. I regret booking in here.

Room Tip: Book a room at another hotel. If you are hobbit, the tiny room size might suit you.
7  Thank Nathan D
ViceroyPalmSprings, Director of Sales at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Dear Nathan D,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We have clearly failed you in service and product. However don't believe your experience accurately depicts most, therefore I would like to rectify for you. Please contact me when convenient to discuss further. 760-320-4117

Olivia Prescott
Director of Sales & Catering

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Spent two nights at the Viceroy mid-week just before Christmas as a little getaway with my boyfriend. My favorite thing about the hotel is the staff. Everyone was incredibly friendly and did their best to accommodate my schedule and wishes. I had hope to get massages just after arriving the first day and the spa manager brought in two additional therapists to honor my request. The bar tender was friendly and made excellent night caps after a long day. We had an upgrade from a King pool room to the weatherly suite. The suite is ridiculously large for two people and it is strange to have a huge television in front of an uncomfortable sofa in the sparse living room. The bed was super cozy and we spent our whole time relaxing in the bedroom so we probably would have been better off in the King Room. The pools looked lovely but it was very cold the two nights we were there and we spent our time hiking, dining, etc. The proximity to the main "drag" of restaurants etc is great if you like being able to walk. I have to agree with other reviewers that the overall feeling of "lipstick" renovation on an older motel property is hard to shake. Things like old tubs and uncomfortable furnishings feel cheap. The oversized toiletries, great bedding, amazing shower head help make up for the things that need upgrading. We had a great off season rate so it was easy to brush aside but if I was paying top dollar, I think I would have been a little disappointed.

Room Tip: Skip the weatherly suite if you are a couple.
1  Thank justalicat