“Charming stay at the Viceroy”

Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs
Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I chose the Viceroy from the pictures on the website. It looked very cute, art deco-ish.. little retro... but still modern. It lived up to the pictures and more. I found the entire staff warm, helpful and genuinely interested in making my stay as wonderful as possible. I was in Palm Spring on "business" but had a lot of "down time". I love all the pools, the cute bar,(have the margarita with the organic tequila- best ever)... and the spa. The spa was particularly good. Well appointed, beautifully decorated, but most importantly- the masseuse was fabulous!! and I LOVED my room. I booked a Wetherleigh suite- the bed was divine, linens and pillows were heavenly....furniture in the living room was a little odd- I liked the stylized chairs, but the sofa was just kinda "70's" uncomfortable. I dined in Citron restaurant every night as I was by myself and didn't want to go off property. The food was so delicious- every night was better than the night before. Harrison and all the wait staff took incredible care of me; made me feel at home ! I also met the chef by accident on my third day - when I gushed about how divine his food was - he explained on how they fly fish in every day - everything made in house... It was just plain delicious!! Don the head of guest services was top notch as well. He does his job with such ease and makes everyone feel welcomed. He gets an A+++++. All in all - a great time and great experience. ps-- I was there during a wedding too... I wasn't inconvenienced in the least... tho I can see how maybe one could be with the size of the property .... I hope you can visit when there isn't a wedding. I will certainly be back!!!!

Room Tip: The Wetherleigh suites are great. But If traveling as a couple I would book one of the villas- like...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ChampagneMargie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We booked into the Viceroy Palm Springs for 4 nights from the 24th October. First of all this is a well appointed hotel, with comfortable rooms, 3 pools, bar, restaurant and so on, but there ends the good news on our stay. My advice to anyone checking in, ask whether there is a wedding at the hotel during your stay. Don't get me wrong, I love a good wedding and if you're part of it they're great fun. However when you get a large group of 50 or so people they get very proprietorial, and as far as they are concerned they own the place. On the second morning,the pool where my wife and I were sunbathing, became a no-go zone for any other guests. After an uncomfortable morning trying to find some space and service from the staff, I went to the front desk to find out how long the wedding party were going to be there, I was told this was wedding season and there was going to be another that day and one the next. I asked our booking agent (Booking.com) if I could cancel our stay without any penalty and , after a call to the hotel, the told us if we could check out in the next 40 minutes they wouldn't charge us for the next 2 nights. I'm grateful to the booking agent for their help, as for the management of this hotel they were very unapologetic. I've learned 2 things from this experience, always check for weddings, and my wife and I can pack in 10 minutes flat.

Room Tip: Check for weddings first
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank johnandshelaghjessup
ViceroyPalmSprings, Director of Sales at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear johnandshelaghjessup,

I apologize for the disruption that the multiple weddings had on your experience. Although October is an extremely busy time for weddings, most do not commandeer pools. I do hope that you found an oasis while in the desert and do hope that you will consider us another time (sans wedding). Please reach out to me directly if I can assist you with your next reservation.

760-318-3018
Olivia.Prescott@ViceroyHotelsandResorts.com

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is a great place to stay to be within walking distance of all the restaurants and shops. Our cottage room looked exactly like in the pictures, with great shower and products. We didn't eat or use the bar as the local restaurants were much cheaper. It's a good hotel for a couple of days, but the service is mediocre, certainly by USA standards. We waited a really long time, without even a smile or being acknowledged for check-in. There is a serve yourself coffee service in the bar in the morning, but both mornings something had run out - one day milk the next day coffee and there are lots of people standing around talking and no-one really doing anything. The only good service we received was from the manager on check-out. I would recommend that to bring this hotel up to the standard its meant to be that the manager goes on a recruitment drive, as his existing staff are what lets the hotel down.

Room Tip: Avoid a poolside room as they will get very noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear NkkLndn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our resort and bringing the lack of service you received to our attention. Normally our service is our strong suit but you clearly did not receive that. I will be addressing the areas mentioned immediately and do apologize for the dissatisfaction.

760-318-3018

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Our family found this Hotel a couple of years ago, when we looked for a hotel with a nice pool. We saw that the Viceroy had a pool with a Cabana covering the deep end. This is perfect for those of you who want to enjoy the water with not all the sun. Our 3 year has been here every summer and asks us when we are going back to the white hotel. The rooms are beautiful with many little extras. Apples in the workout room, fresh brewed coffee in the morning and Dvd players.
We love the DVD players so we can watch movies at night, after having dinner at the Citron. We find we do not have to leave to eat out as their menu is perfect with many Organic ingredients.

We had ones of the suites this last time, with walk in and sit down shower off the main room, and glass fireplace.

You have to see this place, before you look somewhere else.

Room Tip: The best pool is the family pool, with the shade, just sometimes you have to remember there might b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Rebecca C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us in early October. I am so pleased to hear that we are on your son's short list and that you enjoyed many of the resort's amenities. We look forward to welcoming all back soon!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Great get away, wonderful service (Don is amazing) and beautiful resort. Had a girls get away weekend there and it was perfect. They have fun cruisers you can take out. The veggie breakfast burrito is also a must!

• Stayed: September 2013
ViceroyPalmSprings, Director of Sales at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Dear Ankatarina,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the resort's amenities and Citron's yummy SoCal Burrito. Hurry back soon! Until then ~ safe travels.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed here for 5 days, I had a great experience at the beginning, The staff at the restaurant, the waiter at the pool and the room cleaning service were really nice. But the service at the front desk was terrible, first I asked to the girl there, where to have a nice diner in town, and she just gave a bad face, like that wasn't her job, and she didn't answer anything. Then I booked a massage at the spa, there at the front desk, I asked for a 90 minutes one, and they booked a 60 minutes one, and when I got to the spa, the day was full booked, and i couldn't get my long massage. And finally, I went to the pharmacy during the night, the girl at the front desk saw me going out that day and during this 5 days, and when i got back, I realized that i forgot my key and my id, so she made me wait lot of time, asked me a lot of questions and a security guy walked me to my room to make sure that was my room, like if I was a felon... Seriously? ...

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank santiago_sl

Dear santiago_sl,

Please accept my apology for the questionable service you received while staying at our resort. Should your travels call for Palm Springs again, please do reach out to me directly.

Olivia.Prescott@ViceroyHotelsandResorts.com

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Viceroy! We spent 3 nights in a lovely suit. The poolside service was amazing! All of the employees were more than happy to accommodate us. And they took time to chat, which gave the service a personal touch. The food was great from breakfast to dinner. The rooms were a bit aged, however, it gave a sense of charm to the place. We will back! Thanks Viceroy for a lovely anniversary stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple