“Fabulous”

Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Seattle, Washington
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

From the desk agents Samantha, Thomas and Sean, to the pool server Manny, to my massage therapist Jisela, totally nice, professional staff. Beautiful hotel, grounds and pool. My room was second floor, mountain view, and was fairly quiet. The housekeeping opening and shutting of doors is louder than any of the other noises. The food was good, and priced as any higher end resort. Definitely not a place for little kids or barking dogs ( who appeared on my last day). There is a family pool, but I never saw any families there. Mostly 30-50 set, drinking, eating and sunning.

My first visit and I hope to return!

Room Tip: Buy a special from their website and ask to upgrade upon arrival. Poolside rooms are overrated.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
La Jolla
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The good is that the hotel has lovely grounds and the lower level staff were quite friendly. The bad news is that for a 4 star property charging the rates they do this place is getting tired. Normally, I can see past the cracked 20 year bath tubs, the house keepers not getting our room cleaned until 5:00pm each day, and the stucco and paint peeling off the exterior of the buildings. Unfortunately, there were so many other issues that are just not acceptable for a 3 or 4 star hotel that it all added up to a huge disappointment.

The beds were awful. I do not mean they were bad, I mean they were so bad it seemed that they were recycled from a 2 bit brothel. I have posed a photo of the bed that was in our $400 per night bungalow. Actually there were two beds and they were both in the same condition. The springs were shot and the sides were so worn and collapsed that you actually roll off the bed if you are not lucky enough to stake out the high spot before your spouse climbs into bed. I spoke to the hotel manager after the first night and informed him about the situation with the beds. I asked if he could do anything. He said they would look into it, but we never saw anyone looking at the beds and of course my near paralysis now attests to the fact that they did not change the beds.

The TVs were in cabinets that were so low that we could not see them as they were below our feet. We gave up watching TV anyway because the hotel staff had not programmed the working channels so we had to cycle through about 100 dead channels to find the few that actually worked, and even those were quite fuzzy.

I am writing this review on my way home and even now my back is screaming at me to never go back to those awful beds.

Room Tip: Don't stay until they get new beds. it is clear that they are scrimping on maintenance.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelenroger
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

The Viceroy Palm Springs would have received a lower rating had we not switched rooms. After seeing a first floor, non pool view room I would say an upgrade to a pool view is a necessity if you aren't going with a suite. Because we switched rooms, I was able to see that the hotel is much nicer than our first impression led us to believe. Next time we will definitely get either a pool view or a suite.
The rooms are nice, but could use a little refreshing and a bit more light. The beds are comfy and pools are all 24-hours. The grounds are where this property really wins. The many courtyards and pool areas offer cozy places to curl up with a book or lay out with a cocktail. The grounds are especially lovely at night, and we loved being able to use the pool and hot tub late at night
I would definitely stay at The Viceroy again, but only if I could stay in a nicer room. The lower floor, no-view rooms feel like dark caves. This could be remedied by some plants on the patio. But again, the facilities are gorgeous.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is a very charming boutique hotel within walking distance of the strip. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Although one of the girls in the spa was a little "grumpy" to deal with. The rooms are retro but that fits in with the authentic Palm Springs feel. All in all a winning experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Startraveler92
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

If retro is what you seek then the Viceroy fits the bill. We stayed in their standard room that overlooked the street. Noise level was not bad. People parked their cars just outside our window so you could easily hear car doors shut as well as their conversations. But it wasn't bad. Robes in the bathroom which was spacious. Shower pressure was a12+. Knocked you over. Sink area was non functional. Looked cool but that's about it. Shampoo and body wash was a nice touch. Not your ordinary amenities.

Crawled into bed late only to discover no sheets or blanket under the duvet. Found a blood stain on our couch.

The pools were small and quaint. Several to choose from. Our friends booked a suite with a pool view but the trees blocked their view. So they got to enjoy the noise from the pool but not the view that went with it.

The grounds are well maintained and quite beautiful.

Hotel is close to many great shops and restaurants. Easy walk.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dps_Sedona
Pomona, California, USA
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Overall the place was very nice, the room was amazing aesthetically and it was also in a great location, very close to the Citron, the pool and even the entrance/exit. The only thing that I could complain about would be the wifi, which we could not get to work for the longest time. In conclusion if you find a great deal or if you have some extra cash, this place is excellent for couples!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We checked in on Saturday the 26th for two nights in two separate rooms and feel taken advantage of. Each room was $310.00 per night and considering the hotels needs for renovations feel very taken advantage of and ripped off completely. For $310 a night we initially were checked into a pool view king which was awful and had no pool view unless you were to stand at the window and then look to your right so I immediately demanded a new room. I was switched too room 406 which while it was larger was awful. While it had a balcony, you could not sit out on it because the noise from the old fashioned air conditioners were so loud you could not even relax and was dirty, carpets were filthy and had a mold/mildew stain smell. Room 514 where my friend stayed and which I paid for on the other side of the property was overrun by 3 weddings that partied throughout the night and weekend and rarely did she get sleep. We were forced to hold and wait several times to get over to that side of the hotel due to the weddings and they should have booked the entire weddings guest room on that side of the hotel. When you jack up the price in addition to this to rate which is equivalent to a 4 star hotel then I would not have a problem. Having been a previous guest on several occasions, upon check in was told they were too busy to look up my guest history where I have on each visit had a clear history of my preferred rooms and types.

The service was awful. had to wait upon arrival for a valet and absolutely no one on the staff although it was obvious wee needed help with our luggage offered or assisted us in getting our luggage to our rooms. This happened upon check out as well and service was terrible this weekend. Probably what was more annoying was the complete lack of acknowledgement of a regular guest placed in a over priced rack rate room that were not even the type booked and certainly nowhere near the $310 value you would expect from such a rate. As a result, I doubt I will ever return to this property as I was so completely offended and blown away. It was clear they were overwhelmed. Oh and one more thing. Room 406 STAY AWAY FROM IT. I never got any sleep because just directly attached to the same wall is the housekeeping closet and can count on not ever being able to sleep past 8am and forget about taking a cozy nap after your spa treatment, you will hear banging and banging and banging well up to 7pm with no regard to the $310 a night paying guest room behind those closets. Just a dreadful stay. Generally they will also send a survey after your stay but is even more apparent they don't care as I never received one this time and have always done so in the past. Miserable, Miserable, Miserable.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 406 and any of the 514, 516, 518 rooms in the courtyard unless your a wedding cr...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends