“sublime, perfection, luxury, outstanding service”

Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 23 November 2009

i stayed at the Viceroy Palm Springs several years ago and loved it. i just returned from a weekend there and i'm happy to report that this hotel is still tops in service, comfort, and style. Visits the new ACE and even the Colony Palms only confirmed that my #1 choice remains the Viceroy. The personal service stands out in my mind. i asked where the spa was, i was taken there -- personally -- by Dan from the hotel staff. I pondered the bar menu, while sitting in the shade by the pool and Exec Chef Michael walked over to make a few suggestions. After my 4 hr drive from LA on a Friday afternoon -- don't leave at 2:30 pm - the valet, Fabian had me laughting in minutes. Then Ina and Hope checked me in quickly...so quickly that i had a martini in hand within my first half hour. The hotel restaurant is perfect. The truffle mac and cheese is a must - so are the oysters!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2009

Thank you for your loyalty over the years. I was thrilled to learn that our team continues to exceed your expectations and that our service is still top notch compared to our competition. I am glad that Dan, Ina, hope and our chef were able to provide you with another memorable stay. I am also glad that you enjoyed our new menu at Citron in particular the Mac and Cheese and the Oysters.
On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Viceroy. In the mean time we remain at your service.

There are newer reviews for Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs

Reviewed 19 November 2009

Ahh the Viceroy Palm Springs, I cannot wait to book my next stay. Even though we only went for a quick birthday weekend getaway, it was so relaxing and wonderful. The staff are super friendly, helpful, and attentive. The poolside food and drinks delicious (great fish tacos and peach margarita with the perfect amount of kick and our hungover breakfast poolside was fresh and fab). Love that you can use the pools and jacuzzi at all hours as long as you are respectful of your noise level. The only pool that is not 'adults only' was deserted and we had the entire area to ourselves for quite some time which was great and surprising seeing that the place was fully booked.
The premium studio is a good size as was our balcony overlooking the main pool.
I do enjoy Citron, but for a more old school experience Melvyn's directly next door is great for a classic cocktail and steak and of course you can easily walk anywhere on the main street.
A beautiful wedding took place the weekend we were there, looked magical and made me want to renew my vows here. The whole place is just chic and sexy.
Overall a wonderful experience, can't wait to return!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2009

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable birthday weekend getaway at the Viceroy Palm Springs and wish to thank you for acknowledging our great service, food, pools and location. We are happy to see that you are a loyal guest and that you wish to renew your vows here. We would be more than thrilled to accommodate you and your family for such a special occasion. I have shared your great comments with the rest of our colleagues. On behalf of the Viceroy team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2009

My husband and I, along with 90 guests, had a magical weekend at the Viceroy. The service, food, rooms and ambience were excellent. My guests are asking that we have an anniversary party at the Viceroy next year. Example of the hotel going way beyond, one guest with a child needed a cab with a carseat,but none were available. The Viceroy staff member drove my guest and his daughter (in his child's carseat) to the airport - no charge! Our entire stay was filled with examples of tremendous service.
If you can, I highly recommend staying in a villa. The villas are wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2009

Congratulations on your recent wedding. We are so delighted that you and your husband had a magical experience at the Viceroy Palm Springs. We are also thrilled at your desire to come back next year to celebrate your anniversary party. It was wonderful to learn that our colleagues went out of their way to accommodate your guest and his daughter on the trip to the airport. We are all passionate about providing intuitive service to all of guests and it is our joy to be able to make every guest feel at home and become part of our family. On behalf of our entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2009

Loved the spectacular grounds and pools, great restaurant and excellent massage at the spa. The location is excellent and staff were friendly and helpful. We had a one bedroom villa which was fabulous! Minor issues - wireless internet did not work well in our room, bathroom could use a serious upgrade. There were 2 weddings the weekend we were there and one had very loud Mexican music, it is a bit distracting to have guests strolling around and loud music when you are trying to relax. Would love to go back and spend more time by the pool!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

I was delighted to read your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at the Viceroy Palm Springs. I am glad that you enjoyed the grounds, pools restaurant and your massage at the Spa. I do apologize about the internet issues you encountered and that you were disrupted by the music from the wedding that was taking place on Saturday. I can assure you that the internet issues have been resolved. On behalf of the Viceroy team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2009

The Viceroy Hotel in Palm Springs exceeded my highest expectations. My first visit provided me with total comfort and serenity. While the surroundings were beautiful and the ambience was embracing, it was the positive and friendly service from management and staff that will lure me back. Kudos to Diego, Don Devine, and Melissa and the rest of the crew for making my weeklong stay first-rate and exceptional, one I won’t soon forget.
My sincere thanks and warmest regards to all,
Sara Harris

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2009

Ms. Harris,
Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am thrilled that our team was able to exceed your expectations. I appreciate you acknowledging our service and dedication to our guests. We strive to make every guest feel as though they are staying at our home. I have shared your comments with Don, Melissa and the rest of the team. On behalf of the Viceroy team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warmest Regards,
Diego Heredia

Reviewed 8 November 2009

If you like living the American retro dream this will probably appeal.We were at the end of a Califorian pacific coastal tour needing a few days peace before heading back to the uk.The rooms I felt disappointing given brochure/ website photos. these gave a misleading view of the hotel as a whole.Our premium studio looked every bit as old as we were told (1940's) done up with some tasteless retro design made up of what looked like white contiboard held together with steel brackets It was totally useless as a functional hotel room.The shower, which was separated from the bathroom by the large unnecessary fireplace, was in one corner next to the sofa!, so stepped out of shower onto room floor area. Nowhere to hang wet towels so had to leave in wet heap until next day when they were changed.Dressing room and mirror on opposite corner of room to shower. No towel rails in bathroom either so had all to be left on floor as well.Rug in room was very grubby and in need of a good clean. Although pool area seemed attractive the buildings surrounding it looked as though they had been old farm rooms in their previous life.Not what we expected from previous reviews etc,Dining room and main lobby looked more like a proper hotel and one night we had very good service but on our last night the service was compromised because one of the managers was entertaining some other business colleagues at dinner time and therefore most of the waiters were at his beck and call whilst we and other diners were left to wait! A sure fire way to lose custom to other restaurants.This hotel has illusions of grandeur and is no way top class Palm Springs hotel more an overnight base.Blink as you drove past and you would miss it! Would never recommend it, sorry.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback and would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the problems you experienced during your stay. I apologize for your dislike of our décor and configuration of your guest room. Our hotel comprises a series of historic buildings and villas originally developed in the early 1930’s and we have tried to maintain the integrity of that era. The history of the buildings is part of the mystique and the charm of our hotel that makes our regular guests come back time and time again. Our colleagues welcome guests to report any inconveniences during their stay so that we can do anything in our power to make your stay perfect. I hope that this experience has not marred your overall impression of The Viceroy and that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence and restore your faith in us. In the mean time, we remain at your service.

Reviewed 6 November 2009

Wow. The culinary team and management has done an outstanding job with the new dinner menu just released this week...oysters (who would think in the middle of the desert) are out of this world, great tuna tartare...can't wait to try everything!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments. Our Culinary team has done an amazing job creating this menu and we are extremely proud of it. We are receiving great reviews from our regulars, locals and hotel guests. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed the Oysters and the Tuna Tartar. There are many more dishes for you to try so hurry back! On behalf of the Viceroy team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.