“Memorable Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs
Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
“Memorable Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2010

We had an amazing stay at the hotel complimented with a wonderful staff. As soon as we arrived the valet greeted us with a smile and the friendliness carried out through the rest of our stay. We had an awesome / trendy room with a fireplace in amongst the villas and wish our stay could have been longer. Thanks for a memorable experience (Fabian, Don, Tom, Hope, and Buddy.) We will be back soon.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 23 January 2010
Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am thrilled that our team was made your stay so memorable and that you got to enjoy one of our great studios. I have shared your comments with Fabian, Don, Hope and Buddy. On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Viceroy.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2010

Sometimes you can find awesome deals on their website (111-150), but the rooms have a lot of wear and tear and the walls paper thin! Plus they charged our card twice for a total of an extra 300 dollars!! Read on if you'd like to hear about my whole experience...

I have stayed here in the past multiple times, but never again! We had stayed last year in an upstairs room facing the Citron courtyard (main area of the hotel) during the summer. We got a great deal. Although the room was spacious, it needed a little TLC. The Viceroy is from 1933 and it's starting to show. Anyways I complained because a group of rooms are connected by an one little hallway, so we could hear the heavy doors of our neighbors' rooms slam shut every time they went in and out and it would rattle our walls. I made a formal critique about this which they were very nice about. I have to say the one good thing about this hotel is, in my experience, THE STAFF IS REALLY FRIENDLY and want to please. They offered us to stay again at a discounted rate, so we agreed and got a room on the far side of the hotel thinking it would be better.

Once again, wear and tear, a huge crack in the molding all the way down on the frame of the door and the chair in the room was quite worn. I didn't mind that much, the beds are comfy. Once again, there was noise! We could hear everyone that would walk by and the maids clunking whatever crap they use for the rooms. The opposite end of the room faced the street side, so you could hear some cars that pass by. I should have been annoyed, but I wasn't. The problem was when we checked in they kept asking us for the e-mail they sent us. First of all, they never once told us we needed to print this out for them. Their little laptop in the lobby was MIA, so we're fiddling with the iPhone trying to find the e-mail they sent us months ago. Finally, we forward it to the front desk manager. They somehow never received it, so we had to send it again. Then upon check out they had some erroneous charges on the room. We had to explain the discount we had received to the new front desk employee and ONCE AGAIN e-mail it to him for his records. Finally we think its over, but its not! We come home and check the statement. They had put two additional charges on our card without our authorization. So we call they hotel, but the phones are for some reason down. This has been the most frustrating experience I have endured in a long time. I will look for definitely look at other accommodations next time.

Oh and I hate to prattle on but on top of your room charge, you are charged a resort fee regardless if you use any of their amenities. I have to stay, take advantage, the pools are heated, fitness center is decent, the steam room/sauna/show area is amazing. The Spa though is a rip off. 70 dollars for a pedicure? I don't think so!

side note, their toiletries all smell like eucalyptus, which I don't care much for, so I bring my own lotion, etc.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
diefab, general manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 23 January 2010
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I apologize about the issues you experienced during your arrival and with your room. Part of the charm of our hotel is the history of the property and the many silver screen celebrities that made the Viceroy their home away from home during the Hollywood golden era. Although the actual structures and décor may not appeal to everyone, it is the staff and as you mentioned, their willingness to please that make our property so special. I hope that you give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves and that upon your return; you get to experience what the Viceroy is all about. On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

Arriving at the viceroy on a saturday afternoon in January is excellent!. We stayed in the Dorrington villa, which was a like a little house that gave me the feeling I was living in "Ace" Rothsteins house from Casino. Charming Indeed!!! It was clean and comfortable, everything was black, yellow and white. Once my sweetheart blew up our huge red plastic dino from the Cabazon dinosaur gift shop, I felt more at home. My sweetie pie said the spa was a bit run down but the service was excellent. The room service delivery was fast, and the staff was there when you needed them, they didn't hover over us and actually refused a tip on an occasion. The bed was very cozy and the sheets were soft. Cons- There is a dvd player in the room and they will bring you a very misspelled list of substandard selections, so bring your own flicks. The hot water in the bathroom only stayed hot for about 10mins. They forgot to refill the mini bar. And housekeeping took our hotel robes =( However, it was a cute little hotel and perfect for those who want to escape the city.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 18 January 2010
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the Dorrington Villa during your stay. I do apologize that you felt the spa was run down and have shared your comments with our spa director to make sure all areas of the spa are properly maintained at all times. I have also spoken to our front office team in regards to the movies to make sure all titles are spelled correctly and that the selections are more current. I am delighted to learn that our colleagues provided you with service that was beyond your expectations. On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

so we went to palm springs in order to have fun and relax and decided to book a hotel on a popular site that had amazing reviews and even had 4.5 star rating.
needless to say when my friend and i opened the door to our room, we were so disapointed we left the hotel. it was in one word horrible. my friend and i were almost in tears. I have never cancelled a reservation before but i just couldnt take another minute in that entire hotel.
we stumbled across the viceroy the same weekend they were having some sort of film festival. even though the hotel was super busy, the front desk greeted us warmly and put us in a room that was comfortable, chic and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below our orginal price range. they even gave us comp drinks as a plus :) the location is perfect, walking distance from downtown. everyone in the staff was incredibly attentive and professional. we almost didn't leave!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank cimigo
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Viceroy Palm Springs. I am glad that you decided to leave your original hotel and stay with us instead. I am thrilled that our team was able to accommodate you in one of our wonderful rooms and that you got to enjoy the amenities, service and great location of our hotel. I have shared your comments with the rest of our colleagues as they are the ones that make our hotel such a special place. On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2010

We recently had the pleasure of staying a week at the Viceroy Palm Springs, and have to say it was first class. Great staff, pleasure to chat with and excellent service.
Lovely property with all the amenties and a great location downtown.
We travel every year from sydney to spend a week there, and it's well worth it.
Good value for money, and a gorgeous hotel to just relax by the pool or in the bar.
We'll be back.
Sydney/Australia.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aussies0
diefab, general manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 28 January 2010
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our first class service, great amenities and location. It was a pleasure having you again this year at the Viceroy Palm Springs. I was also a pleasure meeting both of you and having the opportunity to talk about Sydney. On behalf of the entire team we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Beverly Hills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2010

Thanks so much to hotel managers Don and Moe and their staff for making our stay so enjoyable. We would most certainly tell others about this vacation spot. When we first arrived at the hotel we had a slight concern regarding enough space for all of us in our rooms and a small confusion later in the restaurant, however the management team jumped in quickly and made certain our needs were met above and beyond our expectations. Our villa was beautiful....plenty of room for the entire family and pets. The food was delicious and priced very reasonably. We really enjoyed our stay.
Leslie

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Wildwood17
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, 28 January 2010
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that Don and Mo made your stay with us memorable and that they were able to resolve the concerns with the space in your room and the issue at the restaurant to your satisfaction. I am glad that your entire family and pets were able to enjoy one of our beautiful Villas and that you got to enjoy our delicious food. On behalf of the entire team we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

First of all, I have never felt compelled to write a review...until now. I wish it was a good review. We originally booked the Parker, but switched to the Viceroy at the last minute, which was a big mistake. We booked 3 nights, one of which was New Year's Eve. We even booked the restaurant there, Citron, for the big New Year's Eve celebration. We were ready to settle in and love this place. We arrived and drove past twice because it's hard to tell where the front of the hotel is. The restaurant name is actually more prominent than the hotel name. The Valet was nice and efficent - he also doubled as the bell hop (poor guy).

The girl at the front desk was nice as well. No one walked us to our room, we were given directions and a map and getting to the room was hysterical. You have to cut through the restaurant, which is weird and then once outside, you have to walk between the pool and outside restaurant guests, which is also really weird. If you have luggage, you have to be careful not to bump into a restaurant patron or fall in the pool - seriously, no joke.

Our room was located in the back, on the first floor. The hallway was an echo chamber and you could hear every noise as though it was amplified. There was some sort of service closet out there which provided us with loud crashing noises when someone accessed it. You could hear doors opening and closing quite loudly and you could hear every voice, including barking dogs (yes, they allow dogs at the hotel, they even allow them to be in the restaurant area. I love dogs, but in the restaurant...really?!). The hotel is old and is really more like a converted motel. You can hear every footstep above you, so if you don't take anything at all from this review, at least trust me on this one thing and get yourself an upstairs room. I thought the plaster was going to fall on my head every time someone walked around up there.

The room was small and the closet was more of a cupboard. We didn't bring much with us and still couldn't fit it all in the closet. Plan on leaving most of your stuff in your suitcase. We had a small patio, but it had a big wall that blocked most of the light coming in, making the room kind of dark. I peered over the wall to see what the view was on the other side. Let's just say...I understand why there is a tall wall there now - the view on the other side isn't much of a view. The decor was interesting and certainly nice if you like the funky Hollywood Regency style, which I actually do. But the TV is the old tube type and there are no movies-on-demand. There's a DVD player, but I don't know where you get DVD's from. We tried to call the front desk and just kept getting a busy signal. In fact, we couldn't reach anyone the whole time we were there. The room, amenities and certainly the bathroom are not befitting the rate they charge...not by a long shot!!! They basically try to mask a cheap motel with hip furniture. Anyone who doesn't admit that is lying (no offense to those who like the place for whatever reason), or they are totally conned by the hipster/chic facade. Don't get me wrong, I like hipster/chic when it's done right.

The only positive thing I can say about the hotel is that it's location is within walking distance of the main street in Palm Springs. We walked to a local restaurant for dinner and then came back and watched whatever we could find on regular television for a little while. Tried reaching the front desk on the phone again, no luck. Went to sleep and got maybe two hours sleep all night due to the noise from the hallway and the people upstairs. I was prepared for little sleep on New Year's Eve, which would have been our second night, but not the night before New Year's Eve. In the morning, we packed our bags and once again struggled to get past the diners outside at the restaurant, the dogs and the pool. At the front desk, there was only one person who was multi-tasking. I swear I think there are only 3 people working at the entire hotel at any given time! Ok, I'm being sarcastic, but that's how it felt. I asked to speak to a manager and the guy at the desk told me that the manager wasn't in yet. No manager?! I'm sorry, but there should always be a manager on-site! It was 9:30am on a weekday and there was no manager on site at this hotel. I explained our frustration to the very nice gentleman. I cancelled the rest of our stay as well as our dinner reservations for New Year's Eve and I told him that he should really credit me for the room. He took 50 percent off the room rate and eliminated the resort fee (resort fee? I didn't see a "resort" on that property) and said that any further reduction that I might require would have to be discussed with the Manager. Did I mention that there was no manager on site at the time? Wanting to just get out of there, I accepted the bill with his rate reduction. I left my name and number for the manager to contact me if he was interested in discussing my experience there. I never received a telephone call. There was no attempt to keep our business, make us happy, offer to change the room or do whatever was necessary. We walked out the door and I will never go back there, ever. Not that it would have changed my mind on that visit, but I would have respected the attempt.

We had planned on having breakfast at Norma's, which is located at the Parker Palm Springs - the place we originally planned on staying. Immediately upon entering the Parker property, we felt more relaxed and peaceful. Norma's never disappoints (we love the one in NY) and the Parker grounds are beautiful! There were fountains, fruit trees, games, pools, a real Spa and hammocks. That place IS a "resort"!!! I won't turn this into a review of the Parker, but I will say that we stopped by the front desk and upon hearing of our bad experience at the Viceroy, they made us an offer we couldn't refuse. We ended up staying there for the next two nights and the experience was so great, we are already planning our next visit!

As I mentioned, I have never written a review and the last thing I want to do is negatively impact anyone's business or livihood, especially in this economy. But I really rely on the reviews I read on trip advisor and this time I was really surprised at how far off the mark the positive reviews are. I don't get it at all. The best advice I can give is to not book anything at the Viceroy, just show up there. Check it out before you commit the dollars of that caliber to the hotel not of that caliber. If it looks good to you, then book it on the spot. If not, do yourself a favor and go check out the Parker.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank RCDC1964
Thank you for your review. I apologize that about the room issues that you experienced and that our team was not able to resolve the issues that caused you to check out early. I understand that the design of our property does not appeal to everyone but it is the history, cozy accommodations, beautiful grounds and intuitive service that appeal to many of our guests. I glad that we were able to speak on the phone and that you were able to share further details of your stay. I also appreciate that you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves and that you will be able to experience the amazing service and facilities that we are well known for. We look forward to your return. In the mean time we remain at your service.