“Quiet, hidden desert retreat”
Review of Colony Palms Hotel

Colony Palms Hotel
Ranked #27 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here for last minute baby moon getaway. Hoping to stay in Palm Springs but avoid the party scene - the Colony Palms pleasantly obliged. We stayed in a casita. While the room was sparsely decorated, we loved the large outdoor bath and private patio. We felt so nicely tucked away from any hustle and bustle. The poolside restaurant had wonderful service and food. The only real minus was that during this busy weekend, poolside chairs and lounging was very limited. By about 11:00am there was not an open lounge chair to be had. The pool seemed a little cramped - chairs per guest ratio is not balanced. Otherwise fantastic stay and will be back in the future!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Lajollatravelgirl

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I've stayed there and this place rocks it! I was a little surprised to see a couple of negative reviews subsequent to my visit because customer service was really really good while I was there.

First thing about the hotel - valet parking. Not a must here by any means, but nice nonetheless and sets the stage for a relaxing experience.

Second thing you will notice walking into the hotel is the lush surroundings around the Very Nice pool, the bar and restaurant just the other dude if that -- all in an authentic 30's architecture that oozes luxury of Old Hollywood and secret Palm Springs getaways!

Now I've stayed in two different parts of the hotel - the back part definitely feels more motel-ish than hotel-ish and does not share the same architecture or luxury as the rooms off to the side which are definitely part of the original architecture and are really really comfortable.

Third, the restaurant. It is really really good. So good we skipped going to Roys - or any other restaurant that weekend.

Being able to just hang out in our little piece of heaven poolside, at the restaurant at outdoor seating or by the fireplace at night or the hot tub, it was a magical weekend. (We did our exercising by riding in the Tour de Palm Springs and riding up to the tramway so it wasn't all plush lol!)

Highly recommended.

As for drunk or drugged staff I never saw or experienced that either visit and I'm usually pretty clued in to that kind of thing. Hopefully what another Tripadvisor reviewer experienced was an anomaly...

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William F
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We arrived at the hotel to only find our room was not ready. We went to the pool lounge area to get a "complimentary" drink. It took about 30 minutes for our weak drinks to come out. Our small over priced room was finally available we set down our things & went to go get something eat. Again, we waited forever for an overpriced,dry cheese plate to come out. Stay around for a while, then had dinner. The pm bartender (male) was very rude, I also overheard him talking to one of the other staff & was very unhelpful to him. The woman manager was drunk!!! And the other one seemed high on POT! What kind of place is this?! No wonder why this place has closed & re-opened so many times.

• Stayed: March 2014
6  Thank PC911z
CPHmanagement, Manager at Colony Palms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Greetings PC911z,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your time with us. This is certainly not a typical guest experienced one would have at the Colony Palms Hotel or Purple Palm Restaurant.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss your time at CPH.

Jason Perry
Hotel Manager
CPH
(760)969-1804

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The Colony Palms oozes character and has a lot going for it. We really wanted to love it, but there are a number of things that got in the way of that. We couldn't help but feel like management isn't paying close attention or just doesn't care.

First, the good. We weren't sure about the Moroccan decor that we saw on the hotel's website, but it looks really great in person. The pool area is gorgeous, just the right size, very relaxing and chill. The location of the hotel is excellent, within easy walking distance to the "uptown" arts district (where a lot of great galleries and home decor stores are) and also very close to the "downtown" area, where most of the tourist shops and restaurants are. While somewhat small and basic, the room was charming and comfortable, especially the bathroom. We had a nice big shower and great high-end toiletries.

Now, the bad. The first room they gave us (we reserved a Deluxe) was on ground level and was very dark and cave-like. Fortunately, when we asked the front desk if they had a better room, there was something right above us on the second floor available, and that was much better. Why didn't they just put us there in the first place?

When we arrived at our room, there were these nice little bistro tables and chairs outside the door so you could sit outside and have a glass of wine or something. But there was a used martini glass sitting on it. The next morning, it was still there -- plus someone left a whole tray of dirty room service dishes on it. By late afternoon when we returned to the room after a day of shopping, it was all still there, so I went to the front desk and mentioned it and asked that they have it removed. The front desk clerk said sure, no problem... but it was still there hours later when we returned to the hotel from dinner. I happened to see a room service delivery guy near our room, though, so I asked if he could have it removed and he said yes, of course. But it was all still there in the morning! I had to ask the front desk yet again and finally they had it removed. I don't know why the housekeeping staff didn't notice it and have it removed, nor why my two previous requests didn't do the trick. This consistency of bad service is troubling.

Also, when our room was cleaned on the second day, we were totally out of shower gel and soap. But the housekeeper didn't replenish our supply, which I realized right after I stepped into the shower and was all wet. Oh, and on day #3 of our stay, we returned to our room at 3:30 and it hadn't been cleaned yet. I've stayed in millions of hotels and never had a room not cleaned by this late hour. I called the desk to make it we weren't overlooked and the clerk said "well I'm happy to call housekeeping and request a cleaning for you." As if she was doing me a favor and like this wasn't that unusual. I would have preferred an apology and some kind of statement like "oh my, it's not normal for the room to have not been cleaned by now, we are so sorry. Would you like someone to come right now?" By saying that she would "request" a cleaning, it felt like I could have just called housekeeping myself to make a similar "request." When a guest calls the front desk with a problem, I expect them to solve it by taking charge, not just relaying my request to another department.

Another glaring problem is the towels in the bathroom, which are supposed to be white, but are actually mostly a dingy gray color. I might expect that in a Motel 6, but not a 4 star hotel that's over $300 a night.

We both got spa treatments (massages), which were ok. The spa is very small, I think just 2 or 3 treatment rooms and no sauna, steam, etc. It was fine, but just don't expect anything elaborate. You're there for your treatment and that's all. The locker room is tiny and thankfully we were the only people in there, because you have absolutely no privacy.

Finally, the beds are a mixed bag. The linens were actually very nice and clean and crisp. But the mattress was very soft and left us both with aching backs. It felt like the kind of cheap mattress I had as a kid where you could jump on it and it seemed somewhat hollow inside, just full of springs. Not like the thick, dense, high quality mattresses I usually get even in chains like Westin and Hilton.

There were a few other small issues like the ones I've mentioned above that popped up, but you get the point. I think a new manager who was more attentive to details and better trained staff could make a big difference. The physical hotel is great and has lots of promise, but the service felt more like 2 or 3 star to me.

Room Tip: We booked deluxe and originally got room #18, which was on the ground level and very dark. Room 40...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sfguy24
CPHManager, Manager at Colony Palms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for your recent stay at the Colony Palms Hotel! We greatly appreciate the time you have spent to share the positives as well as the challenges you experienced. We greatly value the feedback you have shared and I can assure you I will be taking it to my team as a means of ensuring improvement. We do hope you will consider a second visit to the property in the near future. If you would like to discuss this further with us, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at info@colonypalmshotel.com.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Checked out after one night-- had paid for a "Deluxe King" with bath to wash our toddler but arrived to find a shower and no other rooms avail. The deluxe king bed turned out to be broken-- dread to think why-- and neither my wife or I got any sleep. Staff were generally pretty unhelpful and rude and when we were still waiting to change rooms at 2pm the next day, we decided to cut the cord and move on. CP is a glorified motel with a cramped pool area and tiny garden. Nice moroccan tiles though.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JLorax

Greetings JLorax,

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay with us at the Colony Palms Hotel and to assure you that this is not a typical guest experience at CPH.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to discuss your stay .

Jason Perry
Hotel Manager
CPH
(760)969-1804

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband & I had never been to Palm Springs before and found the Colony Palms Hotel online. We were looking for a smaller boutique hotel and it did not disappoint. The room was great, grounds beautiful, staff friendly, and location perfect. Although the restaurant was closed for renovation, we were still able to sample the food and it was quite good. We would definitely choose this hotel again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelheart11
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This hotel is exquisite it is small but this make it so good. We travel from Germany to la an las Vegas an in between we stay in Palm Springs. You can walk to the city center in 5 minutes. The nicest area was the pool when you lay here you are in another world it is so relaxing and quite and the music is perfect mix so if someone from the hotel management read this please send the play list we are thinking a lot of times to this holiday and this special feeling so if it's possible please let me know

• Stayed: May 2013