“Always perfect”
Review of Colony Palms Hotel

Colony Palms Hotel
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 11 June 2009

This was my 5th or 6th trip to the Colony Palms. I'll never stay anywhere else in Palm Springs. Everything about the hotel is great. I've come with friends and girlfriends before but this time I came out solo for some much needed R&R. The hotel was perfect.

From the moment I walked in, I started to unwind. The way the hotel is set up, as soon as you walk in, you forget that there's anything else outside. The whole place is beautifully landscaped and very tranquil. I was lucky enough to have reserved a Casita, and I highly recommend this. I came out to do some work and some writing, and the hotel quickly obliged my request for a desk in the room.

The Casitas are beautiful rooms with their own private outdoor patio guarded by high walls containing an outdoor jacuzzi. It's a great way to relax at night under the stars, and there's enough space out there to lay out in the sun during the day if you're not interested in being around people.

The hotel pool is lovely. There's a large hot tub nearby and a massive day bed for sunning. The poolside service is polite and readily available.

The hotel recently opened their spa, which I didn't have an opportunity to try out, but I did walk through and it's lovely. They also have a small fitness center which is great if you're a gym rat who doesn't want to brave the intense Palm Springs heat for a run.

I stayed for two nights and had two lunches and two dinners at the Purple Palm. I've eaten there may times at this point and the food is always great. Eating in their outdoor section in the evening next to the pool is really great. The place just looks amazing at night.

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of the hotel, and I'm certain you will be too.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 June 2009

I loved this hotel until I left and realized I left clothing in the closet. I left a REALLY expensive outfit in my closet. Yes, my mistake, but I never expected that a nice little boutique hotel like this would not return/report my belongings.
I called and asked for help for a week to no avail.. Finally I got a hold of the manager who was totally apathetic and claimed "Mexican maids would not know the value of your clothing!". Wow!
My clothes were never returned. I never got an apology or an attempt to make up for the loss . . . nothing!
The hotel is very cute. The food was good. I found it very sad my experience was ruined in this way.
Rachael, West Hollywood, CA

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
9  Thank WestHollywoodRachael
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I posted a review about my stay at the Riviera in Palm Springs. My girlfriend and I stayed at the Riviera for one night and then moved (planned) move to the CP for another night. The rate was 99.00 over Memorial Day weekend, and we figured why not!? I had never been to PS before, but my friend lives in L.A. and frequents PS. She and her boyfriend have stayed at the CP before, and, with such a great rate, she recommended it.

The CP scene was much more my speed as opposed to the Riviera. It definitely has the boutique hotel vibe. The staff is very friendly and the whole hotel has an intimate feeling. The pool, in my opinion, is why you would stay at the CP. It is very clean, VERY relaxing, but still busy. There were plenty of people out there enjoying the sun so it didn't feel desolate, but was NOT Spring Break. It was lively and fun without feeling cheesy. The atmosphere truly conjures up an early Palm Springs, pre mid-century Modern. It is more of a 40s decor with striped awning and a mirror backed bar. You can see the mountains while you lounge. We enjoyed WAY too many of the delicious lavender infused mojitos. The pool service is truly OK. We definitely were not waited on hand and foot, but for 99.00, we would not expect this. My friend and I truly enjoyed reading mags, resting, taking a dip and having another drink against a beautiful and relaxing backdrop.

Our room is nothing to write home about. Ours was clean and "fine." Again, 99.00. Other guests said the casitas were very pretty. We were on the second story and our porch was worse for the wear. It needed a little upkeep. However, we were too distracted by the very lush and pretty landscaping all over the grounds. Our view from the balcony was cute....the courtyard, bar, mountains and tropical grounds.

We ate dinner at the Purple Palm. The service was definitely dicey and was pretty pricey. Again, the food was decent, but the cocktails and evening pool scene were better!

I would recommend the CP for those who focus on enjoying the pool in a more relaxed, chill atmosphere.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2009

This hotel was recomended to me by a friend.What can i say! Perfect in everyway.
From the moment i arrived i was welcomed by the lovely staff at the front desk.
The rooms are great and spacious.The pool is fantastic the waiters are always looking after you. My girlfriend and myself chilled out completly and did not want to leave.
The food was unbelievable. a very very good chef. im definetly going to tell all about this hotel. fantastic value. I will be back,as much as i can.Starting october! Thanks coloney palms for a great experience.

Reviewed 3 June 2009

Went there for a weekend to do nothing. Loved this hotel. Will go back for sure. Booked a casita taking advantage of the 25% off rate on their website. Think the total per night was $275.00 Very fairly priced at this level. Hotel is typical older spanish architecture but very well preserved and renovated. Comfortable beds and very nice linens. Very nice bathroom. Outdoor jacuzzi in these rooms is just a bathtub with jets- not inviting- but the private patio was nice. The service was 5 star.

Poolside was great. Waiter service with full menu which is something you don't find at a boutique hotel. The on site restaurant is a must. Prices are cheap, but food is way above average. Actually a very nice drinks/bar scene. Outside at night they project classic movies on the side of the building so everyone outside can grab a lounge chair and enjoy the film with you cocktails.

Only downside is locals are invited to come and enjoy the pool so you may be competing with them for lounge chairs. We didn't have issues, there I could see where it might become problematic.

Our traveling companions utilized the spa/message and were pleased.

I will return here for sure. Liked it way better than VICEROY and PARKER.

Reviewed 1 June 2009

My boyfriend and I decided last minute to go to Palm Springs for a a one night Saturday to Sunday stay. We had both never been. We wanted to stay at the Viceroy - it seemed to be the chicest place but the weekends book up pretty quickly. We went with the Colony Palms because we were able to get a pretty decent last minute deal on a casita and it was mentioned in a travel magazine as being a top spot in 2008-2009. We got there pretty early - around 11 am and were greeted warmly by the front desk. They told us our casita would be available by noon. We were able to sit by the pool and refresh with orange and lemon-lime flavored ice water. Our room was ready by noon as promised - the casitas are really hidden and private - perfect for a romantic getaway! The room was fabulous. There was a two person spa tub and a seating area with a Moroccan style table outside surrounded by high walls for privacy. Bigelow & Co. lavender & peppermint bath products and pool towels all ready to go for us. Bring your iPod because they have one of those clock radios that can play it. We put on our suits and headed to the pool. Excellent scene. We met several young couples like us. I ordered the ricotta salatta off of the afternoon snack menu - while it was tasty, it was a bit on the small side for $10. We drank the day away at the pool - service was excellent. Wear lots of SPF - it gets super hot and sunny. Also, try the lavender mojito - not too sweet and delicious. We decided to eat at the Hotel's restaurant Saturday night, the Purple Palm. They had a great table by the pool for us. The scene was very hip - pretty people all around! I ordered the lamb and my boyfriend ordered the scallops. The lamb had great flavor but it was very tough. My boyfriend didn't like the scallops. (The next day we spoke with another couple who ordered the same items and the woman didn't like the scallops either.) The waiter was very accommodating; he removed the scallops from our bill and replaced it with a hamburger and fries - my boyfriend's request. The burger was tasty. We had another drink at the bar after dinner before heading back to our room. The next morning I woke up at 7 am to get two prime lounge chairs by the pool. There was coffee and croissants as well as the LA Times available. At 10 am a jazz band started up and it was the perfect sound level. I ordered a la carte off of the brunch menu - eggs benedict on brioche with serrano ham, spinach and aspargus. It was delicious. I had a massage at 11 am at the Hotel's spa with Lucy. She is amazing!!! We checked out at 1 pm and I was so sad to leave. We will definitely be back - although we'll probably try a different restaurant.

Reviewed 24 April 2009

Just came back from a two-night stay w/girlfriends and as a devotee of the Viceroy Palm Springs, wanted to try out the Colony because it seems fall in the same category of small, boutique, laid-back chic, older property-which is just my style. I LIKE small, historic properties that don't resemble the chains in any way. Besides, it's got such great reviews and the photos are charming. I had high hopes.

We were definitely underwhelmed, unimpressed, and at times quite dissatisfied with the entire stay.
No valet, no valet stand, no staff anywhere in sight (over Easter vacation!) This "valet" service is supposed to be covered by the "resort" fee of $25/night. At the Viceroy two young valets in uniform greeted us with bottled water, wished us a nice stay, helped unload our bags, and whisked our car away.
The exterior, the courtyard, pool, stairwells, etc. resemble a small, old Los Angeles apartment building. Rundown, slightly unclean, and very un-glamorous. Viceroy took the same type of property and worked some crazy design magic on it to make it actually feel like a chic resort.

I paid for an upgraded room and was told we had been given an additional upgrade for free (this would put us at the 3rd tier of their available room types..yay!) Then the desk girl warned that the room she was giving us was the ONLY room in the entire deserted property with two beds available (code for don't complain, I won't do anything). Warning signals went up. Sure enough, the room was small, stifling, and as basic as could be, and it hung over the roof of the restaurant with views only of the air conditioning units on top of it. At the Viceroy, we very nicely requested any upgrade available and they moved us from the cheapest room bought during a summer special to the most lavish villa on the property. During our Colony stay, all public spots were mostly deserted and I simply don't believe the crappy room was their best available. Did they "owe" us a room we didn't pay for? No...but don't try to pass your worst room as triple ugrade and pretend the property is booked.

The maid banged on our door at 8am the next morning to start cleaning. Totally unheard of..woke us all up, including a very pregnant friend!

The air conditioning was locked and only adjusted by 2 degrees either direction

The resort fee of $25 is laughable since there are NO amenities-not even in-room coffee offered at the cheapest dives these days-one small pool and self-parking in the alley do not a resort make. Viceroy has three GORGEOUSLY furnished pools lined with beds, cabanas, chaises, copious lemon ice water, and huge free vats of sunblock.

The $10 breakfast buffet was Motel 6 level, with Yoplait yogurt and Special K bars (NO KIDDING!) A few paltry slices of pale, unripe watermelon...gross. The morose and horribly oppressive waiter lurked around us until the bill was paid, then took $40 for a $30 self-serve meal, assuming the $10 change was his "tip" for watching us gloomily as we served our own cereal bars to ourselves (by this I mean he did not ask or offer to bring the change...just took it as soon as the money was set down and left)
At Viceroy I had the best breakfast meal of my life, and it was included in my extremely discounted package.

$14 drinks were mostly ice

The jacuzzi was gray and there was many days worth of filth clinging to the tiles-it was subsequently roped off the next day.

We felt that this property offered nothing in the way of amenities, service, style, hospitality, room comfort, customer relations, etc., and felt that our time and money had been badly spent there.
They should keep in mind that if people feel cheated and overcharged, and are not engaged by the staff in a friendly way at ANY point in their visit, then they will not spend money at the property. We cancelled dinner there because we couldn't bear the lame, depressing idiots working there and had the sense (due to the rest of our experience) that the dinner would be overpriced and disappointing. On the other hand, because the Viceroy pleased us so unexpectedly in so many ways, we ended up spening much more money than we had planned, on dining, room service, and spa treatments, because we felt so positive about our stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends