“Huge Cockaroach in Room”

The Garden Vista Hotel Palm Springs
Ranked #69 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We stayed here from July 1st - July 3rd and unfortunately we will never stay here again. We have stayed here in the past and it seems like this place has really gone downhill. I found a huge cockroach in the bathroom and I saved it in a plastic baggie to show the front desk. Well, that accomplished absolutely nothing as the front desk clerk did absolutely nothing other than say he would let his manager know. He did say, "Previous guest must have left it behind". I don't know too many people that travel and stay at hotels and bring cockroaches along for the ride. I wasn't expecting anything in return but an upgrade or a room change would have made the situation a little better. I am glad I found it and not my wife or daughter because we would have been half way home!!! Also, the adult pool was not real clean as there was dirt on the steps and it needed some attention. My advice to anyone reading this review is to save your money and stay elsewhere!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 July 2011

My sister and I stayed two nites in Palm Springs 4th of Jully weekend at the Shilo. The hotel and staff were so accommodating. We had a wonderful stay. Enjoyed the water and sun. We loved not having to drive once we arrived. The shuttle was very helpful.

One of the front desk employees was our favorite. His name is Javier . What ever we wanted he was there to take care of us. Always had such a nice smile. :) One day the shuttle wasn't available to take us downtown shopping and his boss let him drive the 76 Cadiliac. He was tickled pink.

Thank you again for a great weekend at the Shilo. Until our next visit,

The "Twins" :)

Room Tip: I like the 2nd + floor for my stay. The adult pool was great, no noisey kiddies!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I had a relative visiting from NY and she and my 13 and 16 y.o. went from San Diego to Palm Springs for a 2 night stay. Our room was on the first floor with an adult pool view. It was nicely appointed with a small refrigerator, mirowave and small dining table and chairs. We brought food for our stay to keep the costs down and ate very nicely. We did however carry a large cooler which we replinished with ice during our stay. The grounds were absolutely beautiful with palm trees sourrounded by spring flowers. We used the adult pool and it was quiet and clean. The breakfast was great with all sorts of hot coffee drinks, OJ, bagels, yogurt, toast, cereal, etc. We took our breakfast outside and sat in the gazebo. We had a very nice time and even got a later checkout so we could enjoy the pool a little longer. The desk personne were very friendly and helpful. We will be back to this hotel instead of the Holiday Inn which we normally stay at. Don't listen to the negative reviews. This hotel is a diamond in the ruff. Lastly, the view of the mountains and snow on top - breathtaking!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Only stayed one night but apart from getting in a sand storm, it was a great place to be.
2 swimming pools, one for kids and one for adults.
Very large room overlooking the adult pool with balcony and inroom facilities for eating.
Large bed and comfortable nights sleep.
Served breakfast but limited choice.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2011

People do not stay here. I use this site often prior to travelling and rely on it. I usually take reviews with a grain of salt but this place was extremely horrible.
We checked in the room smelled like stale urine, the carpets were gross and filthy. The topper was when my wife checked the bedding there was a pajama top in the sheets.
We called the desk and I called hotwire.com (who I booked through) and luckily we were refunded the amount. It stated three stars but seriously one.
Even the motel staff stated they have had complaints of the smell in the room.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn on E Palm Canyon Dr.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank dcgallo
Reviewed 24 April 2011

The only other Shilo I've stayed at is the one in Portland, Oregon so I'm going to be comparing the two mentally. First off, the hotel called me and told me they were going to re-book me at a different hotel due to the air conditioning being out in my room and they'd oversold--about half an hour later when I was returning their call they told me that they'd gotten the air conditioning issue resolved and I'd still be staying with them, awesome. That was really amazing, a hotel calling me to save me time and gas...very impressed.
Coming into Palm Springs, there were wind gusts so just be careful...I had no idea!
Very easy to find, right off the main drag. I'm guessing this used to be an old resort because the hotel is composed of 6 buildings and all the rooms open to the exterior--like a motel. Be careful of the speed bumps...a bit wicked.
There are 2 pools--one is a family pool, the other an adult only pool; and one spa.
Walking into the room, it's very spacious. The room could use an update but it's serviceable. The balcony was nice to have, just to sit out and relax on....even though it faced the pool it was very quiet. There was a little microwave, and iron with ironing board. Free wi-fi. Nice couch and then a table with 2 chairs, also a desk with deskchair.
Is basic, and the only thing I can think of is a little updating would make this hotel superb.

Room Tip: Provide a cellphone number when booking
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank hickmangirl
Reviewed 19 April 2011

This place was perfectly fine for a long weekend during my trip to Palm Springs for the Coachella music festival. The hotel is in a great location as it is not too far from the downtown area and close to a number of yummy ,inexpensive places to have breakfast and lunch. The grounds were clean and well manicured and the pool area was small but adequate It also had a hot tub and sauna! They also have a separate pool areas for families which is nice because you don't have to deal with other people's kids. The rooms were clean, up to date and most of them if not all faced the pool area . The shower had good pressure and there were two separate sinks- one inside the bathroom and one outside. I slept well which means that the bed were comfy enough and the area quiet. They also provide a free continental breakfast, but I never took advantage of it because there were plenty of restaurants within walking distance. I highly recommend this place as I think it provides above average accommodations for the price. by the way, I got this place through priceline for around $100 and considering it was during a very busy time, I think I got a great deal.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo