“Fabulous Staff, Home from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Garden Vista Hotel Palm Springs

The Garden Vista Hotel Palm Springs
Ranked #63 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Cheshire, UK
“Fabulous Staff, Home from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

The best thing about Shilo Inn was the wonderful, warm and friendly staff, who really looked after me for my 9 days in Palm Springs. Whilst it's not a boutique hotel and the decor is more 80s than noughties, the service, the cleanliness, comfort and facilities more than made up for the lack of sophistication. I'm a fussy cow..and I couldn't fault it! :) I'd return there again without hesitation. I was alone on this trip, but I'd definitely take my family there. With a children's pool and an adults only pool (oh it was so good to be there without kids!), bubbling hot tubs, a fabulous view of the moutains and beautifully landscaped and maintained gardens, it was a little piece of Palm Springs heaven! The only thing missing was a champagne bar!

Room Tip: I had a room on the first floor. Ground floor would be my preference so I could lounge in the sun o...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank zizzyzee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Just had a 3 day stay at the Shilo Inn while attending a workshop there. I don't know where I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with such a thoughtful and attentive staff. The rooms were large, almost like a suite and included a sofa, table and chairs, a desk, a microwave and refrigerator. I didn't expect all that with the very reasonable rate. Also, the shuttle seemed always to be available and timely. With one restaurant next door and one across the street, and numerous within walking distance, it couldn't have been more convenient. I will recommend it to my friends and would highly suggest it for an event such as a workshop.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Californiagirl58
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

I have been staying at this hotel for about 20 year so I returned with a little trepidation. it was in many ways better than I had remembered.

Our visit was in early October so it was before the high season. Reception was friendly and we were in our room without delay. The room was large - I would not call having one arm chair and a table and two chairs a suite but that's just me. The room gave out on to the pool area and was more than adequate for our needs. The king size bed was comfortable and thanks to the insect screen we were able to dispense with the air conditioning at night. There were two wash basins - one in and one outside the bathroom. We slept well - but given the floor covering one might hear people upstairs if they wore heels - we had no such problems.

Included in the rateis a continental breakfast - and I have to be honest there was nothing wrong with it except that one of the receptionists who was supposed to look after it was not particularly diligent and had to be asked for everything. He was not unpleasant - just not anticipating needs just responding to them. Other then that - you would not leave hungry. There were cereals, hard boiled eggs, bagels,cream cheese, juice, coffe - pretty much what a continental breakfast. We ate outside and felt that we were really on holiday.

The hotel is easily found - quiet and very clean. The Management are delightful and make time to chat and "visit" as the Americans say. I love it - I am from London and am not used to that sort of courtesy any more. It was like a breath of fresh air.

it is a mark of any establishment how they deal with things that go wrong. We had a problem with the lights and an upside down carpet (done for reasons of health and Safety which were most commendable.

We lazed by the excellent pool - which had a bit of debris in the day we arrived but which was absolutely clean the following day - everything was clean and well maintained. There are two pools, one of which is closed to children which makes sure that all of us who have let ours go can get some peace and quiet! There is a steam room and sauna - we did not use these.

We made one discovery - Fisherman's Market and Grill which is a short drive away is wonderful value for money even though it is 120 miles from the nearest ocean. We ate there every evening as there were so many things to try.

If you are hesitating about your accommodations in Palm Springs and you read this I can assure you that you will not be sorry for choosing the excellent clean and friendly establishment. It may be a chain but the lady who runs the chain lives nearby and takes a great interest in all the goes on there and her guests are guests and she and the Management treat them as such. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Nearer to the second pool rather than the first one by the reception
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PAULWOODS1
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

Super friendly and helpful staff, lovely place, good location.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Oro Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

As previously, found the hotel to have exceptionally large rooms, with a patio overlooking the pool. Room was clean, with comfortable beds and a soft club chair. A nice table with 2 additional chairs round out the room. They have helpful staff and the price is very reasonable. A bonus is their being situated across the street from restaurant, Billy Reeds, which serves all 3 meals,inexpensively.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
shiloinns, General Manager at The Garden Vista Hotel Palm Springs, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Dear Steve P.,

I couldn’t agree with more … Billy Reeds is a very good restaurant no matter where you are staying in the desert area. Lucky for us Bill Reeds is directly across the street. Recently I stayed at a hotel in another city; their guest room was half the size of a Shilo room and at twice the price. All Shilo balconies and patios face inside our green courtyard and most have a good view of the pool area. For our downstairs rooms we just added fresh new floor rugs to place under the table and chairs. We appreciate your Shilo loyalty and for sharing your positive experience on this website. Best regards from your Shilo friends in Palm Springs. Hope to see you again soon!

Gary Costello - General Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

Stayed here many of times overnight which is convenient since I only live 1 hr away. Close to downtown and the casino. The adult pool is perfect and for my friends there is a pool for kids on the other side! The front desk service has always; without fail; given me and my partner the utmost respect ever.

• Stayed October 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ar Jonijet22,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Shilo experience with others. We find it beneficial when we receive constructive criticism. We pride ourselves in offering separate pools and Jacuzzi’s for adults and children; a feature that our guests appreciate year-round. As you stated we are not in the heart of downtown Palm Springs but a leisurely walk or Shilo shuttle drive to downtown so we tend to be a little quieter. Our team understands the importance of our valued guests and respects everyone. Thank you again for noticing our quality guest services, for appreciating our property and we hope to serve you again in the near future.

Gary Costello - General Manager
Big Bear City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Upon arrival I was greeted by Lorraine who was polite and very willing to answer my many questions. She is the most friendly, kind, and courteous hotel counter person that I have ever run across.
The room was very clean and neat, and close to the pool. We were given a ground floor room that was just steps away from the adult pool area. The grounds are well kept and all facilities are in good working order.
When I checked in, I asked Lorraine to recommend a Mexican restaurant which she did, and game us some tips on other nearby restaurants. She said to let her know what time we wanted to eat, and she would arrange a shuttle for us. When I stopped by the front counter to let Lorraine know what time we would like to use the shuttle, she had printed out map directions to the Mexican restaurants that she had recommended in case we wanted to drive ourselves. That is real service!
I would say that every staff member that we had contact with was very courteous with the exception of one of the maintenance staff. I happened to catch him while he was checking the pools PH balance, and asked him about the jacuzzi in the adult pool area. The jacuzzi was so hot that I and others, could not even get into the water. He replied to me "It is supposed to be hot, it is a jacuzzi!". He said this in a very rude manner. The temperature never was adjusted during our entire stay. ( I also advised the people at the front counter of the situation. I assume that they contacted the same maintenance man that I spoke to.)
All in all, a great place to stay. Affordable clean rooms, excellent staff, free shuttle, and oh yes, they allow pets.
We will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: Ground floor is the best place to stay.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
shiloinns, General Manager at The Garden Vista Hotel Palm Springs, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we were able to meet your needs as your hotel of choice in the Palm Springs area. Training is ongoing and we always appreciate constructive criticism so we can better our product and our service standards. Thank you for sharing your experience. At Shilo Inn Suites Palm Springs we are proud of our employees and believe they are one of the best aspects of our hotel; friendly, attentive and willing to take the extra step for the guest experience. We are grateful you took the time to review your experience and we look forward to your next visit.

Gary Costello
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel
Red Ledges Inn
Red Ledges Inn
#3 of 5 in Tropic

Been to The Garden Vista Hotel Palm Springs? Share your experiences!