“I was pleasantly suprised” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Cali
“I was pleasantly suprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

I have stayed around California in numous nice hotels. I landed at the Garden Court on the recommendation of a client. I was somewhat doubtful. My doubts began resolving when I entered the room. Quality linens--immaculate space and it got better. I had to work and there was plenty of room and it was quiet. When they ran late bringing something cold to the lobby, two minutes later a knock on the door and there it was in an ice bucket. Good chocolates, good location, and I was working. Go there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

I loved this place. The room was really nice; tasteful/classy decoration, great amenities and REALLY comfortable beds (oh how I love down). The service was EXCELLENT. It's a really pretty property too, with a European feel. Great touch to have continetal breakfast on each floor and your choice of 4 or 5 newspapers (local and national) in lobby. I had a fantastic stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Hilmar,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

I have already recommended this Hotel to friends, family and co-workers. The staff are very friendly from the time you check in to the time you check out. You are comfortable the whole time you are there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BarbaraGM, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2011
As an independent boutiqe hotel, we depend on attracting independent hotel travelers - guests who are willing to risk experiencing a non branded hotel. It is precisely because we are a small hotel, we can provide the warm and friendly environment you enjoyed during your stay. When you couple that with the luxury of our recently renovated guestrooms - we think its a pretty perfect combination!
Thank you for recommending us to others.
Merced, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

I would like to start off by stating that our stay at the Garden Court Hotel was wonderful.
My family and I stayed in rooms 311 & 303, the sizes of my room was very nice and comfortable. I really enjoyed the living room area it gave my family a room to visit and enjoy the evenings. I enjoyed the layout of the room over all, the robes and slippers were also great. The cleanliness was also very nice and neat, my favorite thing was the shower it was also roomy and very nice, I was very relaxed. The locations of the hotel was excellent, we did not drive at all we enjoyed the evening walking down University Street and enjoyed looking at all the shops and had dinner at very nice places. I really liked the variety of shops and resturants to choose from. I would recommend the Garden Court Hotel to all my family and friends and look forward to staying again in the future.
Thank you!

Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
It is wonderful when families can visit and just enjoy the experience of being together without worrying about logistics. We are delighted that you found our guestrooms to be comfortable and filled with amenities that added to your overall satisfaction.
Downtown Palo Alto is a great place to stroll and enjoy. Our guests are regularly thrilled with the walkability of our dynamic little town and the choice of restaurants and retail it offers.
Thank you for taking the time to share your GCH experience - we are grateful you were so pleased!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2011

Stayed here for business as my company frequently uses this hotel for out of town guests.
The location was great for me - and would be great for many travelers as it is very close to cafes, coffee shops, restaurants, bookstores,etc. I felt very safe walking in the area - and there are a lot of shops in easy walking distance.

The valet set up was quite confusing - narrow street and signage wasn't clear and not a valet in sight as I pulled up to what I thought was the valet area. Service there was a bit muddled as the valet automatically assumed I was with a business meeting/conference that was being held there - they didn't ask/realize that I was a guest and had luggage. I mentioned that as I checked in - the concierge was VERY gracious, apologetic, kind and had everything straightened out very quickly. The lobby is very warm and inviting - a bit like a English gentleman's library.
The tiny elevator made me worry a bit as I went to my room - but the room was very nice.
While a small room (it was just me, so I didn't need a lot of room) it was well appointed.
Small balcony with french doors that actually opened to the lovely weather...
Nice appointments/ furnishings - very big bed with high thread count linens, many pillows, good lighting.
The information/menus/set up is all on the large (40"?) flat screen TV- including room service, wake up call, check out. Very easy to use. Nice desk area with plenty of outlets and an extra cord for your laptop. Big room safe and an ipod player on the bedside table. I didn't see a closet in my room, but I didn't need it as I was just staying one night. The lighting & room thermostat are controlled by your key card - you slip the card in a slot as you come in - helps the hotel stay "green" which was nice. My a/c was very loud and worked really well - but it was difficult for me to find a balance between too cold and too hot.
Bathroom was good sized - a LOT of marble. Be careful as it is slippery! VERY large shower, a lot of counter space and nice (Molton Brown) toiletries. Copious amounts of very fluffy, soft towels abounded -as did comfy robes and slippers. Shower had volumes of hot water and the pressure was good. There was a vanity/makeup/magnifying mirror as well - nice touch. The decor even in the hallway was very quiet, soft, and comforting. The hotel had candles burning in the halls and treats everywhere.
There was a business center but while I was trying to find it - I went down to the lobby and the concierge set me up at a station there - next to the fireplace and offered me a great glass of wine while I printed up my boarding passes. He then offered me the rest of the bottle gratis to take up with me.
I ordered room service as the food is done by Il Fornaio - yum. Had a handmade Tagliatelle pasta with a very rich, hearty ragu. Great fresh flavors and the ragu didn't overwhelm the pasta. Accompanied by the best Tiramisu I've had --- I'm NOT a Tiramisu fan ---usually too cliched and too sweet, too boozy or too overwrought. But this was delicate, light and had a great balance of flavors. (Service was fast too! Thanks!!)

Upon checking out - I called ahead to have my luggage taken down and have my car brought up - after half an hour -nothing. Called again - the concierge was very upset and told me they would take care of it and to come on down. However I then had to lug all my luggage down myself. Not a great time. However, when waiting for my car the manager ( I believe) ran up and was very apologetic and gave me a lovely gift of a Molton Brown box- filled with many, many nice products and treats. Nice touch to acknowledge where they lacked in service.

Overall - very pretty boutique hotel, few bumps in service, nice furnishings and great room service.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank peapod33
BarbaraGM, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2011
I want to apologize for our lapse in service at the Front Drive. We sometimes struggle with various valet responsibilites and coverage, but our intent is to eliminate guest sacrifice. I appreciate your candid comments and we will address this service deliverry issue.
I do hope you will return and give us another opportunity to serve you more completely.
Regards, Barbara Gross
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

I couldn't have been happier with our stay. We LOVE this boutique hotel.

THE ROOM
Our executive suite (room #308) was spacious and gorgeously appointed. From the great interior decorating to the nickel polished hardware and carerra marble. It was modern inside, but the old world courtyard made us feel like we were in Italy.

THE STAFF
The staff we all friendly and helpful. The valets were prompt. The front desk gave our girls play crowns and wands upon arrival. We printed our boarding passes in the old world lobby with ease. The housekeepers wear (what I think are cute) French maids' uniforms, complete with the little white aprons, and I (who normally don't notice bed turn-down) was totally impressed with how they turned down the sofabed for us. I love the little touches, like the gourmet but locally made chocolates on the pillowtops. Room service from the Il Fornaio downstairs was delicious (we had yummy bolognese and pizza).

EVERYTHING WAS AMAZING, BUT JUST 2 MINOR COMPLAINTS
There was a wedding the night we arrived and the noise in the courtyard kept my husband awake. Other than that, it was very quiet.

The posts on the courtyard fence are far apart - far enough that my 15 month old could easily fit through. I was surprised by that hazard/liability.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

I've stayed at this hotel about 10 years ago and it was probably the best hotel in Silicon Valley. Since then, they've remodeled, and the result is superb.

Location: Just off University Avenue. University Avenue is the main drag of the Silicon Valley. A mile long street lined with restaurants and cool shops, along with a art house cinema. All this surrounded by one of the most expensive zip codes in USA. The hotel faces a quiet side street, so there's no much street noise.

Hotel: Feels like a small exclusive European boutique hotel. Port wine and chocolates in the evening served in the lobby. Great security; card-controlled elevators.

Rooms: Rooms are good size; have lovely balconies with french doors; very elegant and luxurious decor. The bathrooms are wonderful.

Extras: a hand written letter welcoming you to the hotel; bottle of California wine, fruits, and chocolates.

Overall -- a gem of a hotel! I found rates of just under $200/night, which is a bargain.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BarbaraGM, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2010
Thank you for your exciting comments! We are very proud of our newly renovated guestrooms and our team! The material improvements you noticed were thoughful and deliberate.
We appreciate your experienced perspective as a traveler and are very grateful you found us again! Please come back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palo Alto
#9 of 27 in Palo Alto
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
#15 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Garden Court Hotel? Share your experiences!