“Fantastic”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I have stayed hear twice now and it gets better every time. Great staff and yes the sales director made my stay complete. I travel on a busy schedule 36 weeks out of the year and this is one of my favorite stops. Keep up the good work and hope you work on getting a pool.

What stood out the most during this stay was the level of service. Staff are trained very well and very respectful and assist in all possible ways. I haven't seen this level of service at any hotel in the world i've stayed at in the past 10 years.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank John W

Reviewed 21 January 2012

Not quite sure why anyone would pay such high prices for an ordinary hotel. Rooms are very small and not really well taken care of. Staff was not particularly nice. Complimentary breakfast was stale rolls and coffee in the lobby. Convenient location but just not worth the price.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank SuperTraveller2222
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Expensive but worth the stay. Very tranquil rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank S A
Reviewed 6 January 2012

The Garden Court is normally not in my company's travel budget, but this time, during the weekend, I could make it fit. :-)

And it was certainly worth it!

The hotel is situated above the Il Fornaio restaurant, which also serves as their restaurant.

The room was not too big, but the quality was very good with a nice, soft bed and a marble bathroom with a super shower.

Breakfast at Il Fornaio was quite a refreshing change from the ordinary buffet with scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. Everything was fresh and made to order and excellent quality.

The service and personal attention complemented the over-all quality image.

All this, combined with an excellent location in Palo Alto, will make me come back next time for sure.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank JSVV
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My wife and I spent a very nice night at the Garden Court Hotel. We were attending a wedding nearby and started a 2 week vacation here. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The bed was VERY comfortable. the location is fantastic as you are just stepd from University ave with all the shops and restaurants just walking distance away. It was a bit pricey for what you get but overall we were very pleased with our stay

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mpdorf
Reviewed 28 December 2011

The room itself was nice, but at around 2:00am I was awoken to what sounded like loud banging. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, so I called the front desk, who told me that they'd "take care of it immediately," which confused me since I hadn't said what it was or where it was coming from. The noise stopped for about 20 minutes, but then started up again even louder. I called down again, and the woman said "I'll call the restaurant again." It turns out my room was directly over the restaurant on the second floor, and what I was hearing was them cleaning up at the end of the night. I couldn't sleep through it, and they finally had to move me at 3:30am to the 4th floor. It was really unpleasant to have to pack all my things up and walk with the bellman in my pajamas to another room, which, by the way, was freezing. I got about 3 hours of bad sleep. The next day when I turned in my keys, there was no "I'm sorry that happened" or "hey, we can give you a discount" it was just "there are no additional charges" and zero eye contact. Terrible service, terrible hotel. Other unpleasant aspects: there is no self-parking, and parking in Palo Alto has the worst street parking laws ever. You can pay $17 a night for valet, or you can park on the street and move your car by 10am, after which you have to leave because you literally aren't allowed to park for longer than two hours anywhere in the area (meaning you can't just move your car to another spot). Also, I wanted to relax in a nice bath, but after paying a lot of money for a lovely night, I discovered upon arrival there wasn't a bathtub. And the "rain shower heads" they touted sucked, along with the available hot water (turn it on all the way to hot at maximum pressure and you will get a lukewarm, limp shower). It was a really awful experience all around. I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Don't sleep on the third floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Jen B
BarbaraGM, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

I spoke with Jen B. about her very bad experience. WE failed our guest on every level of service. Although it was frustrating for all of us - our guest suffered.
Jen was most appreciative of my contrition and concern for her bad experience. I do hope we will have the opportunity to recover with Jen in the future.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

I have stayed at this hotel only on business but it would be a wonderful getaway for a couple or family as well. The rooms are wonderfully appointed and comfortable, and the fitness center, while small, was clean and in good working order. The location is ideal near the center of Palo Alto, and the always-available fruit and chocolates are an added plus. There is also a good, basic continental breakfast set up on each floor, which is extremely convenient. The setting is picturesque and a great contrast to cookie-cutter hotels. The in-hotel restaurant is a branch of Il Fornaio but has the feel of a wonderful neighborhood trattoria instead of a chain, and the food is excellent and reasonably priced. Lodging at the hotel itself is not cheap but well worth it.

Room Tip: They are all lovely!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
The Westin Palo Alto
The Westin Palo Alto
#9 of 27 in Palo Alto
Hilton Garden Inn Palo Alto

Been to Garden Court Hotel? Share your experiences!