“Romance and Relief in Palo Alto”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I could have titled my review as "Escape from Mountain View"... because that's what we did when we checked into The Garden Court in Palo Alto.

We had been staying at a hotel in nearby Mountain View for 2 nights. We were booked there for another 3 nights. (Groan) But I couldn't stand it. The nighttime roar of the traffic kept me awake. And the fact that the hotel had only cheap fast food restaurants around it made me want to make a super fast exit to a quieter more pedestrian-friendly and luxurious hotel.

We cancelled at the old hotel, and booked ourselves into The Garden Court Hotel for 3 nights. As soon as we walked into the Garden Court I took a deep sigh of relief. Finally it felt like we were on vacation! Yeah!

The Garden Court is super deluxe (and only a bit more per night than the other hotel). Very pretty, classic design, and elegant (with lovely arty-nature photographs on the wall). We stayed in a gorgeous sunny room with huge French doors across one wall opening onto a balcony with a street view. We walked around Palo Alto, exploring the shops and the very upscale neighbourhood. It was a romantic place to relax and recharge! I highly recommend it and can't wait to return!

(They also had a room safe, dressing gowns, lots of closet space -- and a good fitness room. The restaurant next door was perfect for breakfast.)

Room Tip: We asked for a city view and our room was lovely. It had huge French doors which opened onto a balco...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FLJ_designer

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Me and my family (with children!) had an amazing stay here at the garden court. The staff was extremely nice and helped us with our every need. The children loved the welcome gifts given to us upon arrival and played with them through out the trip. The rooms are very well decorated and are very bright. The beds are really comfy, and I would suggest asking for a handicap room (if available) because we received it coincidentally and the room and shower was much larger than the regular rooms. They do offer complimentary breakfast which is coffee/tea muffins and pastries. There is always something to eat in the lobby, apples throughout the day, chocolate and wine at night. On Wednesday they have complimentary dinner which was steak and veggies as well as a drink and dessert. Over all we very much enjoyed our stay and would return if we returned to the palo alto area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank abrarnajjar
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I just returned from 3 wonderful days at what I consider Palo Alto's best kept secret! The Garden Court is a gem in the heart downtown Palo Alto just a short walk to numerous stores, restaurants and many coffee spots. Having usually stayed at the Rosewood I decided after hearing a colleague RAVE about the Garden Court to give it a try - she was right. I checked in.. very attentive staff wisked my luggage away and valeted my car. At the front desk the agent already had my paperwork on the desk for signature. Check in was warm, friendly and quick. They upgraded me to a junior suite - nice! The bellman assisted me to room. It is a small hotel - which is nice. I arrived at my room to find fresh fruit and a wonderful scent of a Molton Brown candle burning. The room had a generous living room that flowed into the bedroom area - stocked daily with fresh fruit. It has two sets of french doors that opened onto a balcony with seating for two overlooking the lovely courtyard. Room offered great natura light and drapes were truly 'blackouts' letting you sleep in without the worry of be awoken with daylight. The room offered a beautiful marble bathroom with glass enclosed shower with rainshower and handheld showerhead. Plenty of towels and Molton Brown amenties - my favorite! The room was navy blue and white - very handsome and the attention to detail is amazing from the artwork of Palo Alto on the wall (garages - ask when you are there why they are there... neat story). Housekeeping was great down to icing my wine each day to keep it nicely chilled. Coffee and pasteries are a nice touch each day on each guest floor off the elevator with a selection of newspapers in the lobby or if you choose delivered to your room each morning. At departure they were nice enough to extend my checkout to 3pm to accommodate a late flight. Being on the road 300+ days a year I am a true road warrior. This hotel by far ranks as one of the best I have stayed in. I have already booked three more stays – cant wait to go back! Kudos to Vinh at the Front Desk and Helen in Houskeeping making my stay even more pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the front of the hotel seem to get good sun
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank TravelingMan313
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Beautifully decorated and comfortable rooms in a spectacular location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. A nice continental breakfast is included. Walk out the door and your in downtown Palo Alto, steps away from great restaurants and shops. Cafe Renzo, Pluto's, Paris Baguette, Crepevine, and the House of Bagels were good restaurants literally around the corner from our hotel. Stanford's beautiful campus is minutes away by car or bike. Parking at the hotel cost extra but was well worth it, as parking can be pretty tight in the downtown area and there didn't appear to be many other options that allowed overnight parking. We never waited more than a few minutes for our car.

Room Tip: Our room on the 4th floor with a courtyard view was very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank TravelMore1954
Reviewed 23 March 2012

What can I tell you that others in recent posts haven't already touched on...? For me it would be how restful our stay was. Indeed, there are numerous amenities in the room, the staff is several notches above your average hotel employee, the bedding was splendid even getting the perfect pillow-which is no easy feat! Sleeping was heavenly. Molton Brown products, an indulgent shower, well lit room, all in a location close to Stanford Hospital, the busy and eclectic downtown, and some great dining. We had dinner at Il Fornio which was hopping even on a week night. True to reviews the food was delicious. Breakfasted at University Cafe...try this place! Mostly we saw business types checking out from this hotel, but I imagine this property would rate high among couples for "that special night out". Also, we had the pleasure to meet the general manager, who was kind/warm and professional. Would stay here again in a flash.

Room Tip: Since we didn't tour the property, I can't compare rooms, but believe they all have a balcon...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank puffin50
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I loved my stay at the Garden Court. The rooms are large and beautifully appointed, the location is pefect for visiting the Valley and is right in the heart of Palo Alto but what sets this hotel apart is the service. It's truly excellent. I left my passport in the hotel safe and without me even having to ask, the very friendly and helpful staff at the hotel personally drove it to me at the airport so I didn't miss my flight and my 2 year old's birthday. I will be more careful with my passport next time but I'll definately be staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank NM2000073
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Excellent hotel at a very central location. Close to many restaurants and shops. Very convenient to Stanford University. The rooms are very clean, well furnished. The staff is very helpful and friendly. They have a very nice Italian Restaurant on-site. I went with my family, but it would have made a nice business hotel as well with decent, free internet connection and fast service.

Room Tip: I stayed at a one bedroom suite as a family of four. They turned the sofa in the living room into a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Stanford Park Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
#1 of 11 in Menlo Park
Hilton Garden Inn Palo Alto

Been to Garden Court Hotel? Share your experiences!