“Fantastic location, excellent service, beautiful rooms!”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Silicon Valley, CA
“Fantastic location, excellent service, beautiful rooms!”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My recent stay at the Garden Court Hotel exceeded my expectations. The staff were gracious and attentive to the details that distinguish a luxury hotel from the chain hotel experience. The rooms are gorgeous and very quiet, with beautiful private balconies. Best of all, the location is in the heart of downtown Palo Alto, walking distance from dozens of excellent restaurants and bars. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank QC2theMax
Jeffery P, Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear QC2themax,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. It is wonderful to hear that we exceeded your expectations. As an independent hotel, it is the special attention to details that we depend on to set us apart from the other branded hotels. Because we are small we are pleased that we can offer a warm, friendly and more persoanl touch that you so graciously shared that you enjoyed.Thank you for sharing your comments and for highly recommending us.

Best regards,

Jeffery Phillips
Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mountain View, California, United States
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I've stayed here a few times and love love love this hotel! From the Marble bathrooms, to the comfy beds, to the wonderful staff, great location, excellent service, etc, etc, etc! The nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. It is very welcoming and has a something special that no other hotel offers. Everyone is smiling and is very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who plans on visiting Palo Alto or to anyone who just wants a nice place to get away for some relaxation. While you are there, be sure to visit Il Forniao as is has great food and happy hour is not to be missed.

Room Tip: Every room I have stayed in was excellent so it is hard to recommend which one I liked best.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Heather H,
I am over joyed by your review-It is most rewarding to know that you feel the same way that I do about The Garden Court Hotel. It is wonderful to hear that everyone is smiling and wonderful-I am grateful to have such a devoted team who truly care about the guest experience. Thank you for sharing the love and for putting a big smile on my face.

Warmest regards,

Jeffery Phillips
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Very well located in the heart of Palo Alto, this boutique hotel is very comfortable but too expensive. There is no in-house restaurant, however, the Italian restaurant adjoining serves an excellent breakfast. I would have rated the hotel a 4, had it not been for the front desk experience. My wife had reserved our room, and on arrival she completed check-in, and showed her passport and gave her credit card. The clerk pushed the form to me to sign, I ignored it, and my wife signed. We then received a welcome message on our room TV, and a card delivered to our room both addressed to 'Mr' followed by my wife's name (there could be no confusion, my wife is a very beautiful woman). When we were passing the front desk, I politely explained the error, and Jeffery L Phillips, Rooms Division Manager replied "Thank you for sharing" (no apology to my wife). I must admit I was irritated, so I brought the welcome card and envelope, put a line through 'Mr' on both, and wrote 'Ms'. I handed it in for the attention of Mr Phillips. When we returned there was a card of apology in our room with 4 chocolates. The air-conditioning in our room was extremely loud, and banged each time it worked. We won"t return.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Jeffery P, Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Dear Pancho8,
I regret not formally apologizing to both you and your wife for failing to recognize your wife as the primary name on the reservation. I understand your perspective as an experienced traveler and appreciate your taking the time to provide your feedback. Please be assured that I take your comments very seriously and will be extremely sensitive to such details going forward.

It is my hope - when returning to Palo Alto- you will give us the opportunity to serve you with the dignity you so carefully pointed out to me. I would value the opportunity to make this up to both of you on a future stay.

Respectfully,

Jeffery L. Phillips
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Overall this is a great hotel in a prime location. Many small things that make it so -- chocolates, coffee and pastries in the morning, wine tasting in the afternoon, etc. But its when somehting goes wrong that hotels make or break their reputation.

Basically, the battery in the smoke detector failed in my room at 3:00 AM, causing it to beep incessantly. I knew exactly what it was, called the desk and they sent a very nice man to the room to remove it in less than 5 minutes.

That morning at checkout, the desk clerk made no mention that I was awoken at 3:00 AM and had to call the desk. The manager was standing behind her. I decided to let them know that there was no smoke detector in room 2xx because it had to be removed at 3:00. The manager replied "yes we know, we are going to replace it." No apology, no complementary breakfast, or promise of an upgrade on my next visit.

I recently switched from the Four Seasons to this hotel primarily because of the location. But when a similar incident occured a few years back at the FS, a complementary bottle of wine was delivered and I was offered a suite on my next visit.

They really try hard, and the hotel is beautiful and in a perfect location. Just not quite 4/5 star service.

Room Tip: Stay far from the elevators beacuse the coffee and pastry service is set up at 6:00 am and can be no...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JoelEGuy
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 February 2013

This is a boutique hotel nestled in the heart of Palo Alto, walking distance to restaurants & shops. The rooms are beautifully appointed with Molten Brown toiletries. There are complimentary pastries and coffee for breakfast in the lobby and chocolates on arrival. The staff are friendly and helpful. The italian restaurant downstairs offers a good lively bistro setting. Room rates are expensive.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 3 February 2013

No major complaints about this hotel other than it's overpriced. Nice looking, fantastic location, friendly staff, quiet and comfortable. Only a couple of oddities. First, the in-house restaurant seems to offer only Italian food. I am originally from Italy, and I'm definitely NOT going to have chicken parm when ordering room service in Palo Alto. Second, instead of flipping through a binder like in every other hotel, in order to find hotel info you have to use a horribly slow "interactive" system that you access through the TV remote. And that includes room service: you might actually starve before managing to navigate through the system to get to the menu. Come on people, sometimes low tech is better (especially when the "high tech" solution is from the 1990's). But those are details. The only real disappointment was with the gym -- tiny and (at least on one morning) smelling like dirty socks. Upon checking out I was told that the hotel offers free passes to a health club nearby, but of course that info -- like everything else -- was only available through the interactive TV system.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrea P
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I always enjoy a good hotel but I want to get what I pay for. They charge the price of a Good 5 Star hotel but lack the service that comes with it. It's a shame because the setting is nice. Rooms are good. Service is EVERYTHING when your traveling and poor service from the front desk that is to busy talking about there night out the night before is not good. The restaurant could learn a lesson about good service also

Room Tip: 3 trips have shown me a lack of service
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Jeffery P, Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear MichaelW
I would like to invite you to contact me directly regarding your stay. I am interested in learning more specific information about your recent disappointing experiences so that I can ensure it never happens again.

I am available at your convenience.

Resepectfully,

The Westin Palo Alto
#9 of 27 in Palo Alto
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Palo Alto

Been to Garden Court Hotel? Share your experiences!