“Great for the price!”

Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Great for the price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed at the Coronet for 9 nights recently, and would definitely recommend it for anyone visiting Palo Alto on a budget. The motel will not be winning any architectural design awards too soon, but hey, at a price level that is more than 50% less than the hotels in the area, the Coronet Motel provides a decent value proposition.
Pros:
* Clean rooms for a motel, and very friendly staff who really care about their guests.
* Convenient location (next to major road and within easy driving distance to most of Palo Alto, easy walking distance to a few coffee shops, restaurants and convenience store).
* Off-street parking, literally a few metres away from the rooms.
* Free high-speed wireless internet access.
* Cable television.
Cons:
* The noise level really takes some getting used to. Strangely enough it is not so much the traffic from El Camino Real street up front that is bothersome, but rather the noise levels early morning when service vehicles arrive to do deliveries and remove waste from behind the motel. The poor sound insulation of the rooms also makes it challenging as one hears every movement from guests in adjoining rooms and specifically upstairs (I could even hear my neighbour snoring through closed windows and doors!).
* The kitchenette is nice to have, however it misses basic cutlery and a kettle (we made coffee in the microwave though).
All in all, the Coronet Motel is definitely a great budget accommodation option in Palo Alto.

Room Tip: I suspect an upstairs room will be less exposed to the noise levels.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AceBar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

First of all its exceptionally clean. The staff are super helpful and friendly. The room is comfortable and appointed with what you need. I had an event at Stanford and this is a very close and handy place to be. I cant find any fault with it what so ever - Highly recommended and I would stay again, no question about it. Unlike some many of the large hotel chains they have a personal touch - hand written notes and so forth. Its just like staying with family. Its an outstanding value and very clean indeed. No question about it, if you are in the area and have options stay here!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank AZbizguy
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

We have stayed here on two occasions as my husband has chemo at Stanford Hospital early on Friday mornings. It is no more than a 10 minute drive - or you can take the handy shuttle. The rooms, while not luxurious, are comfortable and convenient. The staff is as helpful as they can be and there are several restaurant options within a 5 minute walk. Why would you want to spend SO much more money to stay anywhere else?

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clw13
Sierra Madre, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

I had to make some last minute reservations for Palo Alto, needing to be near Stanford Medical Center and got the Coronet on a list from the hospital. As it was listed as one of the least expensive and calls itself a "Motel", I wasn't expecting much. I checked in late and was greeted so kindly by Hans, and found my room to be as nice as in any hotels for over twice the rate. There was a kind note, bottle of water and Ghirardelli chocolate from Heidi welcoming me. A terrific desk/work area with wifi and a small kitchenette. All things I would expect from a mid-range to higher end hotel, but a wonderful welcome surprise at this price point. If you're ok without a super nice lobby and bar and restaurant as part of the hotel, but want that attention to detail placed on your room and the hospitality, I absolutely recommend the Coronet. It's also only about thirty yards from the Marguerite, Stanford's free shuttle service, and the same distance from some terrific eating options!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank cooper t t
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

I came to Palo Alto for a case study on young woman. I knew that staying some where close to Stanford would be best I didn't have a car. My first night I stayed @ the hotel california on California ave. I had a reservation for 3 nights & arrived late in the evening to find an envelope taped to the office window with my name on it. I opened it up to & there was a map of where I would be able to find my room & my room key & a note stating to come by in the morning to check in completely. This was kind of if if the way the did their system. I didn't like my name exposed where anyone can know which room & take the key. Room was tiny I wasn't feeling it. Te be day I went over to the Coronet & as soon as I walked in I was greeted by a young lady w/ her two daughters. I knew I was at the right place, love the mama & pops. She went out of her way switching reservations for other days to be able to accommodate me. Gave me information about the Margarite shuttle that I hadn't been aware of. Free... Awesome. I had a heavier bag w/ me & she offered to give me a hand w/ my bags. I felt safe & comfortable & she was so friendly & welcoming a homey feeling. The beds were so comfortable I liked the divided room. Flat screen beautiful bathroom some noise but I just put in my ear plugs layed my head down & out. Woke up rested. Everything was great about this place I love how its not a chain office staff went above & beyond compared to my key taped to a window, beautiful new rooms clean clean clean & I was told that the heat the pool seasonal. I'll stay here any day. It was the best part of my trip & I left feeling like I een made a friend.

• Stayed February 2013
7 Thank Melindaclark33
Kalispell
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

6 night stay in April. Manager is very nice and helpful, the room is perfectly clean, the bathroom spacious, shower lovely, separate counter and chair with plug-in in bedroom to use as dressing table. There was a front room with loveseat-sized hide-a-bed, table with chair, small table for eating, under counter fridge with large freezer compartment, bar sink and microwave. Very good heat/cooling unit. Dishes and silverware are available from the office, which is a good idea because then you know they are clean when you use them. Through an archway was a bedroom with a very comfortable bed and the bathroom. The loveseat was hard, but I had a sore back and it may have just felt that way.
I would stay there again any time, EXCEPT the noise was an issue. The front door did not fit tightly and that, with the window, faces El Camino. Because this is an older motel that has been beautifully refitted, the isn't any soundproofing. It helps that the bed is in the back room, but I found myself turning up the TV to hear it. Also, there is a parking lot back behind the motel and I woke up to truck engines and banging around early in the morning. Across the side street is an Olive Garden an their dumpsters are emptied VERY early at least twice a week. I could also hear the people in the room either below or next to me talking and understand the dialogue on their TV.
On the 6th morning, the other guests put their TV on at 4:30 a.m., the dumpsters were emptied around 5 a.m. and a freight truck was shifting their load and warming their engine at 5:30.
The motel lacks nothing for a comfortable stay - just too noisy for me; but my home is in a very quiet rural setting. What I perceive as a lot of noise may not bother someone else. I paid $129/night plus taxes.

Room Tip: Find out the difference between upstairs and downstairs rooms. I don't know what it is.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Nancy7227
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Stayed March 2013 for a week. Ditto the other 5 star reviews. Great beds, wifi, location and service. Close to Stanford with free shuttles. Olive Garden, Chipotle, Panda Express, Jack in the Box and lots of other places to eat within a block or two. Try the bagels next door on California Street. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms have 2 beds.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family