Hotel Keen
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
US$292
US$263
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
US$598
US$569
  • Restaurant
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
US$189
  • Pool
US$125
US$113
Hotels.com
Dinah's Garden Hotel(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
US$263
US$242
Dinahs Garden
The Zen Hotel(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$191
The Zen Hotel
Hotel Parmani(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
US$148
US$629
US$615
  • Restaurant
Country Inn(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
US$182
US$173
All reviewswhite boardgreat locationwine hourboutique hotelrooms are smalluniversity avenuewalking distancetwo blocksrestaurants and barsfree wifitrain stationcomfy bednice breakfastbusiness tripfront desk staffsilicon valleywhiteboard
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Hands down the best value for Palo Alto: nice hotel rather than motel; can't be more central; great style with food options all around. Will be back many times!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SeaShantySong
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Most of the reviews capture this boutique hotel accurately - great location nestled among great downtown with many restaurants and bars, small but clean rooms, inspired design and extremely good price. For the business traveler, or couple, I don't think you can beat the combination. I'll restrict my comments then to what wasn't mentioned or could be improved:

1. Security - I was suprised that I could walk into the building and get on the elevator without being seen by a desk clerk/security guard on a couple of occasions including 10:30pm at night. A bit unnerving but easy to remedy.

2. Breakfast - was free and very good. The pastries were terrific as was the espresso. Could use a bit more fruit - but no complaints. Along with a complementary Wall Street journal and courteous staff that called a cab for me - I couldn't ask for a better start to my busy day.

3. The bed was very comfortable - lots of pillows, warm blankets, TV directly in front with phone/internet hookup to the side. Small lights everywhere to get just the right lighting. The room is just so well thought out for its diminuitive size.

All in all, I just loved the aesthetic of this place - and I don't expect to get that along with the other plusses. This is now my preferred stay in Palo Alto for a short visit.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank rg_travels_9
pfriedman, General Manager at Hotel Keen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Regarding the issue of hotel security, we do have the ability to lock the front door when the staff believe they will be away from the desk for an extended period of time. When the desk is left unattended for brief instancse to handle guest requests the staff are instructed to review the security footage upon their return to make sure that nothing is amiss. Our cameras are located at the front entrance, lobby, every floor and rear exits.
We are also always looking at ways to improve on our breakfast and will try to include more choices of fruit on a daily basis.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

Many of the previous reviews described this place accurately as far as design, space, location, and amenities. It is hard to find a reasonably priced, convevient but comfortable hotel in the area but this one fits the bill. We stayed there over the Christmas holidays and would stay there again. Late one enveing we returned to find that our room had not been serviced all day. I mentioned this to the front desk personnel in the morning and that evening we returned to find a written apology and a bottle of wine complete with a corkscrew and two glasses! Nice touch. Our only quibble was that when we went to check out in the early morning, the front desk staff could not figure out how to print out our bill! We had to leave without a paper copy which made me a bit nervous, though he did tell us the final amount. All in all, this is a place well worth considering.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
pfriedman, General Manager at Hotel Keen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to share your positive reviews. I apologize for that lapse in service but am glad to see that the gesture on behalf of the staff was well received and appreciated. I regret that they could not give you a copy of your receipt upon departure - hopefully it was hardware failure and not user error :) I will look into this and make sure that a copy is sent out to you today. I hope we see you in December!

Reviewed 21 November 2011

This economical find in downtown Palo Alto is a winner. While gearing up to search for a one-night accommodation in the area, the trusty NY Times decides to publish a review of this place and I was sold. It reminds me the most of the Elements hotel line, with its willingness to dispense with typical hotel components and focus on modern amenities.

Take your usual hotel room and name all the things a modern traveler staying only a short time would rarely use (i.e. lounge chair, dressers, full desk, both nightstands), trim it all out, then make innovative use of the remaining space so even if its a smaller room, it wouldn't feel that way. Hotel Keen does that quite well. It has a very clean, streamlined aesthetic, down to the cool, blue lights lining the halls outside the rooms. The rooms and fixtures are quite new and good quality.

+ Small footprint but smart use of space, the single nightstand doubles as a small desk with overhead storage, ample shelf space, whiteboard, roomy bathroom and shower, plush bed, good quality linens, bathrobe, wall-mount tv has extra shelf space for miscellaneous small items, free wi-fi

- No closet space (just a knob to hang up to 2 items), no safe, no bathroom door, just a heavy curtain with magnetized closure, single chair, no full-length mirror, no parking

Just a note, I almost thought their desk chair was the wonderful Herman Miller Aluminum Office Chair but alas, it was just a replica. Still, quality was no worse than a usual chair, and the aesthetic fits.

Highly recommended for single, short-stay travelers looking for a good location at a great price. Although there's no parking available, street parking late at night is easy to find. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank azalie
Reviewed 19 November 2011

The hotel has done all it can to be as stylish as it can be at this good price. Some other conference guests were a little alarmed at the lack of a door - only a curtain - to the bathroom. The windows didn't open or opened onto a wall. This was all compensated for by the great service from friendly and helpful staff, ready availability of tea, coffee and snacks, glass of wine, free wifi. Some Euros may be baffled by the (included) breakfast which is entirely sweet apart from boiled eggs in iced water.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business