All reviewsrooms are smalluniversity avenuecity parkingmodern and stylishtwo blockswalking distancefree cookiesroom noiselocation location locationtrain stationrestaurants and barsfree wificomfortable bedfootball gamelobbypalohallway
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Unshaved, slobs at the front desk. Small, small rooms. No doors on the bathrooms. No closets. No place to hang clothes. Ripoff prices. Seem to be taking advantage of fact it is in Palo Alto. Would not stay there again. Try to make upper basic problems with fancy lighting etc. Good locations and parking OK, but I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
pfriedman, General Manager at Hotel Keen, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Dear tommH4634AZ,

I am sorry that you were not happy with the room. Stanford Homecoming Weekend with a Ducks game will certainly have an effect on the price.

Thank you for giving us a try.

Best regards,

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Room is small but has everything I needed. I love the white board wall and the friendly service. Great location! Good prices! My family enjoyed the warm cookies and wine at night and the nice breakfast. The hotel is smal but offers a lot!!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
pfriedman, General Manager at Hotel Keen, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear Jamie G,

Thank you very much! Very happy to see you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

just terrible: diffident staff, stairwell smelled like urine, shower handle broke/cut my finger, laudry service took longer than expected/advertised 24 hours (had to call to inquire, was late for work that day), room doors are cheap and don't close w/out extra push, ac went down on hot night, and perhaps worst of all, slamming doors literally shake the building all through the night. never again :(

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank shawnadamb
pfriedman, General Manager at Hotel Keen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear shwanadamb,

I am sorry to hear about your stay. I first learned of these issues when I received your comment card yesterday.

Shower handles are held on by the tiniest of screws and over time they do become loose. I am sorry that this caused injury.

Laundry dropped off before 9am Monday through Saturday is returned that evening at five. It should be delivered to the room unless there is a DND on the door. If this was not the case then I apologize. I will check with the desk staff that posted the laundry charge to your account to see if they recall there being an issue with delivery.

The automatic closing mechanism on the doors are easily adjusted by increasing the tension in the hinges. As the building settles some of the doors become slightly misaligned and require attention. If reported to the staff it can be remedied immediately.

I checked the AC in your room and it is in working order. It is not the easiest system with icons of a snowflake indicating a/c and a sun indicating heat - which are almost impossible to distinguish from each other, especially at night. I suspect that you either had the heat or the fan on. The A/C goes no lower than 67, so if you were able to get it down to 63 then it was on heat. If no temperature was displayed then it was on fan. If the staff were unable to assist you or figure it out they would have moved you to another room None of the units have gone down or failed in our seven years of operation.

If your neighbors were discourteous we could have intervened on your behalf by leaving a message asking them to respect their neighbors right to quiet enjoyment of their accommodations or simply moved you to another location.

I am in the process of interviewing the staff to see if anyone recalls these issues being brought to their attention and what steps they took to resolve them. We pride ourselves on our service, especially given some of the limitations of the physical plant.
Indifferent staff is not something our guests should ever have to tolerate.

I thank you for bringing these items to my attention and apologize again.

Peter F.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel is modern, functional and clean. The rooms are a bit spartan and the decor lacks character. That said, I was happy with the location and the service. It is, however, quite pricey for what you get. The first night at $250 was expensive; the second at $450 was outrageous. But that's Palo Alto...

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
pfriedman, General Manager at Hotel Keen, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Dear Somnolet,

Thank you very much for staying with us and the honest feedback. We are hoping to make some major improvements in 2018 - new windows and room furnishings, new hallway carpet, lobby and public space update and expanded breakfast offerings (once we get the new fixtures in the breakfast room we will hopefully have twice the counter space to work with). At the moment we are close to upgrading guest internet with televisions and channel selections close behind.

We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Nice little boutique hotel in the center of town. Close to Stanford. Staff very accommodating. Breakfast a plus. Parking is a challenge all over the city. Two hour lot right next door. Free over the weekend. Rooms are very small. Could be a challenge for bigger people. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear 427roser,

Thank you very much for staying with us - I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay.

Definitely opt for the deluxe rooms next time - they are much larger than the standards and worth the few extra dollars.

Let me know when you are coming back so I can thank you in person!