“Great Turkish Food!”
Review of Anatolian Kitchen

Anatolian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Anatolian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 367 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: California Avenue
Transit: California Avenue Train station one block away.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

So last week I had another ladies’ lunch in Palo Alto: this time at Anatolian Kitchen, which is Mediterranean but not Greek: Turkish instead. The three of us sat at a table outside, two of us on a padded bench facing the street, able to watch passers-by and the street as if in some European or Mediterranean restaurant. As we enjoyed our cocktails (two strong Mojitos and one Ayran, a yogurt drink) and the great tasting Baba Ganoush appetizer (you can really taste the char on the grilled eggplant—yum!), we looked over the menu, and my eye lit upon the name “Alexander’s Favorite.” Who am I to argue with whoever this Alexander is? Described on the menu as “Iskender, slices of ground lamb and beef layered over bread cubes, in a tomato sauce, melted butter and yogurt,” it was a bountiful plate of multiple slices of meat alongside the sauce. It was quite tasty but also quite filling (as protein can be), so I ended up taking half of it home, where it made for a filling dinner as well. The one in our party who ordered the Combo Appetizer as her main -- hummus, tabouleh, baba ganoush, cacik, dolma, falafel, olives and piyas – said she very much enjoyed being able to try all those items and was very happy with her choice. And the stuffed bell peppers that the third had was quite pleased with her selection, too, taking one home for her dinner as well.

Another reason I wished to stop rather than finish the main is that when the three of us have our occasional lunch out together, we want to get dessert, and this time was no different. Since the “dondurma” is just regular ice cream rather than the now rare true Turkish ice cream, we split a baklava, and I must admit: it was truly the tastiest baklava I had ever eaten! Notice that the the three of us split the two triangles, so we were doing our best to be good.

It’s a nice alternative for lunch from Evvia, which is a great Greek restaurant but which I was going to for lunch two days later. And truth be told, I enjoyed Anatolian Kitchen every bit as much: the waiter was quite personable and told us stories about having grown up in Turkey, so he was very much part of the reason we all had an excellent time having lunch there. And the food isn't Greek but Turkish, so there's a slight difference to the flavors. Parking was easy, too: one of us parked right in front, and I was right on the corner next to the restaurant. The third took Caltrain there since the California Street stop is so close to this restaurant. I look forward to my next meal there!

1  Thank Dr_SJ

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We just discovered this wonderful restaurant off California Avenue in Palo Alto. We sat outside on a mild summer's evening, lots of seating, and easy parking. I had the traditional mousaka, and with the seasoned white rice on the side, it was wonderful. My friend preferred non-Middle Eastern so chose the salmon, which he said was prepared and seasoned perfectly. We finished with baklava and Turkish coffee, a perfect ending to an enjoyable evening.

1  Thank 2009Benjamin
Reviewed 27 April 2014

A little trip to a foreign world...nice decor, friendly service, nice dining selection. We were encouraged to try the Turkish wine and it was a good choice (surprisingly!). Lots of vegetarian choices, although the manti (dumplings) were considered uninteresting by my friend. The lamb shank special was very good. And where do they get the delicate flat bread?

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Had a group of six and went to Anatolian Kitchen for dinner. Started with an appetizer plate which had a little of everything. The hummus was great and other items were tasty. We all ordered different items and everyone seemed to enjoy them. I had the Manti which were little raviolis stuffed with meat in a yogurt and garlic sauce...really yummy.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We had dinner at Anatolian kitchen several times. The food was always excellent, nice wine selection, great service and the desserts (especially Baklava and Kazandibi) are adorable.
My favourite restaurant in Palo Alto!