“Surprise! We like Vegetarian after all” 5 of 5 bubbles

Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Virginia
“Surprise! We like Vegetarian after all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our son recommended this place but we are not vegetarians so we were skeptical. Mushrooms made to taste like duck? Really? We were both blown away at the great taste of all the dishes. You must order the scallion pancakes, the Mongolian Chicken and the veggie duck. My husband is a real beefaholic and raved about the Singapore style rice noodles-very hot and spicy. He ate the whole plate. In all, great service and a cozy place to have some healthier meals.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank KathleenVirginia

Kinderhook, New York
“Two thumbs WAY up!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

As a vegetarian, it's rare that I have so many choices when I go to a restaurant. I wanted to try everything! I finally decided upon the sweet and sour soy "pork". I was not disappointed; it was delicious! I was with three other diners, none of whom are vegetarian, and they all loved their meals as well. The tofu soup was wonderful. The only small complaint I have is that most of the dishes have a "meat" reference in them. (e.g. soy chicken, soy pork, etc.) I know this helps diners envision the types of dishes they're ordering, but I would rather have no animal references in the food at all. Without a doubt, however, that is the only concern I have. The restaurant is clean and cozy, and the very friendly, efficient staff goes out of their way to help. If you're in Palo Alto, you MUST try this restaurant.

• Visited February 2014
Menlo Park, California
“Easily the best Chinese food I've ever had, cooked superbly, no mystery meat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

Easily the best Chinese food I've ever had. Most Chinese restaurants are avoided by this carnivore because most everything on the menu is questionable at best. No mystery meat here, excellent sauces, fresh veggies, friendly service, and fair prices.

General's 'Chicken' and a tasty basil dish were our entrees that followed our delicious steamed dumplings in peanut sauce. Everything was excellent?

• Visited June 2013
Washington, DC
“Good vegan Chinese”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

Was looking for vegetarian food, saw other positive reviews, so figured I'd try it. I only sampled two items: hot and sour soup (I've had better), and the general's veggie chicken (really tasty; not very spicy even though advertised as such).

The restaurant is small (only 10 tables or so) and can get crowded. As other reviewers point out, it gets noisy quickly -- but I felt that gave the place a more lively feel. There are clearly many "regulars" who come often, and the owner (who works as a waitress) was very friendly.

Overall, I would definitely eat here again!

• Visited January 2013
Paris, France
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but as a general rule I love vegan restaurants.
I left this place a little disappointed.

The decor is basic, and the acoustic is such that you can hear other peoples' conversation a little too clearly, for my taste. Service is ok, but could be friendlier.

The hot & sour soup was WAY too salty.
Taste-wise, it was hard to believe there was no meat, which I guess is impressive.
We split two mains, the Singapore noodles, which were just bland carbs with yellow curry and a dish with various vegetables, which was much better, delicious even.
But 1 out of 3 is not so great, food-wise.

It was ok, but I wouldn't return.

• Visited December 2012