“Good Hotel - Good Location”

The Westin Palo Alto
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
new york city
“Good Hotel - Good Location”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Though I only stayed there for 2 days, I enjoyed this hotel very much. From check-in to room service the staff was polite and efficient. My room was spacious, even for a jr. suite, with a large sitting area and gas fire place. The bathroom was large with both tub and walk in shower. Even though my room was on the first floor, it was well insulated from the noise in the hallway. Room service food was excellent and came exactly as ordered. From the property it is easy to walk to University Avenue or the Town and Village shopping center.

Two small quibbles: 1. The garage is underground and the entrance is hard to negotiate. If I had had a much larger car, getting in would have been a pain. 2. The interior ground floor room open onto the patio. If there is an event going on, it is necessary to close your curtains to have any privacy. Given the wonderful Palo Alto weather this is a shame.

In all, I would return to this property any time. I almost gave it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear outsdad,
Thank you for your feedback through TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our staff, room service and guest rooms. I am sorry to hear that you felt the need to close your curtains during the event on the courtyard, we typically isolate these events from guests and I am sorry that our efforts fell short in this instance.
Tanya Fleming

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Third time at this hotel. Rooms were large, clean, and comfortable. Bathroom was huge with tub and shower. Hotel has a pool and first floor rooms open out to large patios. Walking distance to Stanford campus, downtown Palo Alto, and Caltrains station. I have had mixed experiences with other hotels in the Westin chain, but this is one of their well run properties.

• Stayed May 2012
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear KLA59,
Thank you for your continued loyalty of our hotel and for the feedback. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our property. Please let us know if we can assist you with anything at all.
Fenton, Missouri
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Aside from wanting to see what was nearby, there was no reason to leave The Westin! The staff was the best sans one.

The bed was absolutely heavenly to the point I even fell back asleep. So very comfortable! The rooms were quiet and cozy. HD television and movies on demand. Two comfy chairs for watching television in and a nice size work desk and a chair that made it easy to get some work done.

Downtown Palo Alto was within walking distance and offered much to do plus plenty of restaurants to choose from if you weren't dining at the hotel.

We did try to dine at the hotel on two occasions and it said it was closed so I cannot tell you what the food was like. I also noticed on Trip Advisor (now that I'm back in San Francisco) that they were offering a complimentary breakfast (with a promo code). ;-(

Stanford is across the street and very beautiful to look at. All around the hotel was pleasant.

Although it didn't affect me, I didn't care for the idea that you had to pay additional for parking. It should have been something included with your stay. I was able to park in the handicap parking near the doors.

A spider ventured into my room and I called for someone to take care of it. It took them awhile to get to the room so the spider had traveled across the ceiling and dropped down onto the floor. Fortunately I had moved my bags from that area as I was watching the spider head toward them. I was not in the mood to pick up a hitchhiker! So when the guy from the hotel finally did show up with tissue in hand, he gave me a "really" look as if I should have just taken care of it myself - he was my sans one mentioned above.

Room Tip: I am not sure if they have a bad room but if you want a jacuzzi tub, make sure you ask for it.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear TheLadyDina,
Thank you for the extensive feedback on our hotel, it will certainly help us to improve in the future and reinforces with our team the things we should continue. In regards to the "sans one", please accept my apologies and rest assured that this experience will be addressed with our team. Please let us know if we may assist you with anything in the future.
Minneapolis
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This hotel is located across the street from the Stanford campus. Was a great hotel in an excellent location. Upon check in I was upgraded to an executive suite with a full balcony. The staff was friendly and helpful. Make sure to stop into the restaurant, the waitstaff was the friendliest and most accommodating I've met yet in my travels.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear JennyDMpls,
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, we are thrilled you enjoyed our property. Thank you in particular for the lovely compliment of our associates in Restaurant Soleil, they will be thrilled to hear it.
We hope to serve you again soon,
Carmel, California
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I needed a hotel quickly as my husband was to be an inpatient at Stanford Medical Center after being transferred from our home area post heart attack. I needed a safe haven . The Westin was a perfect choice. I was able to valet park quickly and easily. I was given a room right by the elevator
and after long,stressful days could order excellent room service meals and a much appreciated glass of wine. The staff was so kind and helpful throughout my stay. The room was large and comfortable with a great bed. Having a sofa,coffe table and comfortable chair made me feel more "at home".The location is excellent,easy to get to the hospital as well as the "fun things"in Palo Alto. It is very good value as well.

Room Tip: Join the Starwood Resort Preferred Guest program
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dear Kathleen F,
I am pleased to hear that you found our property to be a safe-haven and that our staff may have made a difficult time a little bit more bearable. We hope that your husband is fairing much better. Please let us know if we can assist you with anything at all in the future.
Colorado
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Nice location for walking the streets of Palo Alto like Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs. It's a short walk to University Ave and there's a pedestrian underpass to get directly to the area south of University.
Getting to my room was a long maze-like experience, several people in my party also had the same thought. The upside of the hall layout is that every room seems to have windows on at least two sides. This makes it very pleasant waking up to a sunny California morning. The high ceilings and lots of light made the room very pleasant.
The bathroom was quite large with a nice glass shower and even a separate tub.

The heavenly bed was pretty good, but starting to feel a little worn. Overall the appearance of the property was not as high-end as most Westin properties, but the rooms are very comfortable and quiet making for a great stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear berricks,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community, I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay. If you already notified us of the issue with the mattress, rest assured it has been addressed, if not please reach out to me by email so that I may have that particular room checked. My email is tfleming@pahotel.com.
Thank you again and we hope to welcome you again to our hotel,
West Lothian, Scotland
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Amazing location, a few minutes walk from CalTrain, easy walk to the shops, restaurants and bars of downtown Palo Alto, and close to the stunning Stanford University campus. Rooms were large, spacious and very comfortable. Bed was huge and comfortable with high quality linen. Superb shower and bathroom. Decent gym. Great room service. Absolutely spotless.

However, very slow and overpriced internet in the room. I object to paying $9.99 per day for sub-400k. This is not "high speed internet". Couldn't connect every night (too many users). Ended up having to go down to lounge and use wireless there (which is fast and free), but I shouldn't have to given the cost of the room.

Also design of TV cabinet is daft. Doors only open to perpendicular, which means you cannot watch TV from bed, only from directly in front of it.

Very minor gripes though - would happily return. Just hope they sort out their internet!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear tike1,
Thank you for staying with us and for your review of our property, we appreciate all of the feedback and are working to remedy the internet issue you experienced. The first part of the project was completed last Friday and as a result our guests have already noticed a dramatic difference. Within the next month, we expect to have the entire project completed. We look forward to hopefully serving you again soon. Please let us know if we can assist you in any way.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palo Alto
#1 of 10 in Menlo Park
Creekside Inn
Creekside Inn
#6 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to The Westin Palo Alto? Share your experiences!