“Great, lovely hotel”

Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Los Angeles, California
“Great, lovely hotel”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I stayed in the Westin Palo Alto for three nights on business. It was lovely. Ahead of time I'd called and asked for a quiet room on their highest floor. My request was granted, something that doesn't always happen if you get a group rate. I don't know if being a part of the hotel chain's reward program helps or not, but my room was lovely and quiet, the bed very comfortable, the room service good (food in the restaurant was better) and staff was very helpful and friendly.
The hotel could not find my rental car one morning and I was planning on driving to the conference. I got a cab ride with a friend. The woman at the front desk later offered without prompting to pay for my cab. That's unusual.
When my conference was over, I got lost on my way back to the airport. I had already checked out of the hotel. I called from my car and a hotel staff person helped guide me back to the correct highways. I had to call her twice and she was very pleasant and helpful.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor towards the back of the hotel, overlooking a patio. There was a group event d...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Dear MartinG32655,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that we lived up to your expectations and in some areas exceed them. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Tanya Fleming

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Palo Alto Westin while on our honeymoon in Sept 2012. The room was very quiet and the bed was super comfortable. The bathroom was huge and we loved the heavenly shower head. The hotel is right next to the CalTrain station, so it is very easy to take a train from the airport or into downtown San Francisco. We will definitely stay here again if we're in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear db1985,
Congratulations on your recent nuptials. We consider ourselves lucky to have been part of your honeymoon and the memories that will last a lifetime.
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you again,
Pacific Grove, CA
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The Westin Palo Alto is a sophisticated oasis across from Stanford University. The superb staff is attentive from the moment you arrive--as you enter the hotel, it has a marvelous fragrance and an elegant but comfortable ambiance. The staff could not be more attentive, friendly or efficient! You will feel welcome and well taken care of every moment. The only regret is not enough time to enjoy everything!

Room Tip: The rooms are built around charming courtyards. I've yet to experience one I didn't love! t...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dear WilliamF,
Thank you for sharing your views of our hotel with the Trip Advisor community. We are overjoyed that you enjoy our associates, guest rooms, and locale. We look forward to welcoming you again soon, please let us know if we can assist you with anything at all.
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 22 September 2012

My few days in this hotel were fine--convenient location, quick check-in, very clean, pleasant room, internet connection fine.... Yes, it's a big of a maze, but it's a big hotel. Nothing special, but fine. Except, gym is very small (a few aerobic machines plus free weights) and pool is pathetically small (and the water disgusting). But if you just need a good room, then the Stanford area can't really do better.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank taipeipeter
Dear taipeipeter,
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that your experience was "solid" and that we are your preferred hotel when in the Palo Alto/Stanford area. I am very sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations completely and am having a member of our team investigate further as to the issue with the pool. Thank you for the feedback as it can only help us to improve.
Eastern Sierra, CA
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Check in was quick and friendly, the room was very comfortable and the breakfast buffet was delicious. My main complaints are that the electronic keys for entering/exiting the garage did not work and no paper was delivered to the room. The courtyard view was uninspiring and we never saw anybody in the courtyards or pool. Layout is a bit strange. All in all, this property is a solid base in Palo Alto given the right price. We were in town for our son's medical appointment and we will return to this hotel. I don't know if I received an upgraded room as a Platinum but the bathroom was great with an enclosed shower and separate tub. Otherwise it was standard Westin.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear terere2,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community and for staying with us. We're elated to hear that you enjoyed our associates, guest room and bathroom, and Restaurant Soleil. I am following up with our team to research the issues you experienced with our parking exit card reader, I am very sorry for the disappointment to you. In our effort to go green, we do not deliver newspapers to all rooms, rather to guests who opt for delivery at check in. I am sorry that did not happen appropriately for you and will ensure that the protocol is reviewed with our front office team. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to serving you again upon your return. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay even more comfortable for you and your family, next time around.
Davis, California
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed here one night after attending a Stanford football game. The room was nice and the price was good. The service was lacking. The staff were pleasant enough. But considering the hotel was packed, they were understaffed and everything was slow:

--Front desk reception was slow.
--Service in the bar after the game was slow.

And two pet peeves about the service:
(1) Our room was not ready at the check-in time of 3:00 p.m. Hotels want to ding us if we don't check out on the dot, and they should be equally accountable if we are cheated of any of the time we paid for. There should be a discount on the room or a voucher for the restaurant or something. It really borders on fraud when a business doesn't deliver what the customer paid for.
(2) The housekeeper busted in on us at 9:30 when we were checking out at 11:00. Yes, we could have put the privacy hanger on the door, but it doesn't seem that hard to keep track of who's checking out and then leave the room alone until checkout time (or until the front desk notifies them that the customer has checked out). ALSO: The alarm clock went off and woke us up at an ungodly hour on a Sunday. The housekeepers should be trained to check this when preparing rooms for a new guest and disable the alarm. Also, idiot hotel guests who do this to the next customer (and this is NOT the first time this has happened to me) should be banned for life.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leftydana
Dear leftydana,
Thank you for reaching out via Trip Advisor, I am very sorry to hear of your experience. What you experienced is inexcusable and very unusual for our property. So that I may make amends, please reach out to me directly at tfleming@pahotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Redding, California
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Great location to downtown and Stanford Campus and Stanford Hospital. Heard train noise early am. I think the price is a little high for what you get. They were very accommodating they had exercise clothes and sneakers to use for a small fee of $5.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear srklouis,
Thank you for staying with us and for your review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed our staff, wonderful location and New Balance Gear Lending Program. It was rolled out this year and many of our guests do love not having to lug their workout gear when traveling. I understand that rates in the Palo Alto area are higher than most people are accustomed to paying, please note that our rates are typically much lower during many weekends of the year and generally November through February. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palo Alto
#1 of 9 in Menlo Park
Creekside Inn
Creekside Inn
#7 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to The Westin Palo Alto? Share your experiences!