“Excellent time in Palo Alto”

The Westin Palo Alto
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 25 April 2008

I was in town doing work at Stanford, and the Westin was a great place to stay. It is walking distance to Stanford, but if you are not used to walking, you may be in trouble--it's 30 mins walking one way. But it's along Palm Drive, a lovely road that leads directly to campus. The hotel is also around the corner from CalTrain and easy to get to the main drag as well.

The hotel was very comfortable and the photos I took with my old digital camera don't do the room justice. The room looks dreary in the pics but it was in fact a cheerful and well done space. I had a corner room. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 April 2008

this is a very nice, fancy westin near stanford. the workout room is the usual westin workout, which is nice, and the rooms are large, quiet and clean. the staff is very helpful and friendly. if you can get a good rate here, i highly recommend it.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 16 April 2008

I've had mixed results at Westins - some are great, some fall short. This is one of the great ones. At check-in, as we had two young kids with us, they gave us a corner ground-floor room that opened onto a courtyard. Being able to have the door open, listen to the fountains and have the kids run around outside was great. It was also nice to order room service (excellent food and not very overpriced, by the way) and eat it in the courtyard. The room was very nice - no signs of wear and tear at all.

The staff is excellent. They were also quick to loan me a BlackBerry charger when I forgot mine. We used the front desk staff several times, both in person and via phone, and they were always quick, friendly and helpful. There were always apples for the taking at the front desk as well.

The hotel is well located - a 5-minute walk to the CalTrain station and a 15-minute walk to the Stanford Shopping Center. We took a train into SF for a day and it couldn't have been easier.

Only minor complaints: the lights in the room are either super-bright or off. For a diaper change in the middle of the night, a dimmer in the bathroom would be nice. Turning on the bathroom light at 3am was like walking into the sun. Also, the bathtub water pressure isn't adjustable. If you want warm water, you need to have full flow - not ideal for giving a toddler a bath, or letting the water run just a little for bath play-time.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2008

Had very high expectations for this hotel and I say this because I know how nice the one in San Francisco is. Well my expectations were blown out of the water! Way better than advertised!

The hotel is situated very nicely by downtown and Stanford University. We actually walked to downtown from the hotel.

Parking is affordable @ $15 for valet and $10 for self. Valet attendants were extremely nice and HELPFUL! They put my spare tire on because I had a flat the next morning! Here is a shout out to the valet guys! They saved us so much time!

Beds were crazy comfortable and spacious! Bathroom was very big with a separate shower and a separate bath. Our room was all the way in the back so we had a view of an old warehouse were the roof was starting to cave in. (Only negative)

Decided to go to the hot tub and the whole area of the pool was very very clean.

Great stay! Will be back when we go back to the PA!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2008

My husband and I were fortunate to stay 4 nights at the Westin over Easter. Rates were incredibly low with the double whammy of Easter and spring break at Stanford. The hotel is lovely and the staff gracious. We loved the luxurious bed and linens which were changed daily. The configuration of the hotel allows for all rooms to have a courtyard/pool view. (Our room faced the pool which can be a bit of a problem if there is a group talking until 1:00am which was the case in our stay. ) The rooms are very quiet and the heating/airconditioning system is quiet as well which allows for a beautiful night's sleep. The pool area is quite small, so you have to be early to get a lounge chair. But, there is an option in that the Westin is next door to the Sheraton and are "sister" hotels. The Sheraton has a much larger pool and more seating. We realized after parking in the Westin lower level that it is a bit of a challenge to swing around to exit. The room key works in the Sheraton lot as well and is easier to exit. The hotel has a wonderful intimate feel and we recommend it highly

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2008

This was my fourth and last Parent's Weekend at Stanford, but it was the first time I stayed at the Westin. I'm sorry I waited. This is a nice hotel. My room was on the third floor inner courtyard and quiet. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is nice.
The location is great, just off of El Camino and University, close to everything, Stanford, Palo Alto restaurants, Stanford Mall Shopping and Page Mill Road tech businesses.
I self parked for $10. Just be careful on your way out of the garage, its a tight turn, some folks swing wide in the outer lane to exit.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2008

I reserved this hotel using a combination of cash and points on the starwood website, which is a very good deal. I had a small, but perfect room with an extremely comfortable bed (one of the main reasons to be loyal to Westin and great natural light. The hotel is a short walk away (if you like to walk: 10-20 minutes) from downtown palo alto and its many restaurants, bookstores etc...The hotel restaurant was outstanding if expensive. The lobby was diminutive and lovely. Internet connection was touch and go but I didn't get charged for it because of that.

Stayed: March 2006