“Parting is such sweet sorrow”

The Westin Palo Alto
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Toronto, Canada
“Parting is such sweet sorrow”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Always happy to arrive to a warm welcome, always a little sad to leave.

Counting the days till my return.

Great to see everyone again, felt like I had just left the day before instead of seven long months.

Somethings change, but the warmth and hospitality here does not.

Enjoyed two wonderful Sunday Brunches and many breakfasts in Soleil.

The ‘leftover take out breakfast’ made for great lunches when I was out and about.

Location is ideal for shopping and the cal-train.

Perfect weather made it ideal to enjoy the pool and spa.

See you in October.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Pinky23_10,
It was great to see you again Pinky, thank you for being our guest! We look forward to seeing you in a few months. Let us know if you need anything at all.
All the best,
Tanya F.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I have stayed in a number of Westin hotels and while the location of this property cannot be beat, I would not consider this one of the chain's finest. The hotel was clean and as always the beds were outstanding, however, the hotel was very small with very tight facilities. There were limited dining options, a very small pool, and an incredibly small with a very limited number of equipment types and quantities. Given the location and the Westin branding, I would have looked for a bit more upscale amenities. Staff were nice, but didn't seem to have the relaxed nature that my other Westin experiences have demonstrated. They seemed rushed, a bit disorganized, etc. Overall not a bad experience, but not one I have come to expect from a premium brand like Westin.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear es_in_tx,
Thank you for being our guest. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our property and comfort of our Heavenly Beds, this makes us quite proud. I apologize that you found the overall experience disorganized and rushed. This is not at all the norm for us and any additional information that you could provide will help in remedying it for the future. I would very much appreciate it if you would reach out to me at tfleming@pahotel.com with more specifics.
Portland. Oregon
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed for a wedding weekend. Perfect location with a shopping center with various small restaurants and a Trader Joe's behind the hotel and a short walk to University St. with more and interesting restaurants and shops. Across the street from Stanford University. No restaurant in the hotel itself, just a breakfast room that closes at 10:30 AM. The Sheraton next door has a restaurant . Great week-end rate. Pool small, especially if you want to entertain children.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear vamanos,
Thank you for sharing your weekend experience at our hotel with the TripAdvisor community. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area. I am very sorry to hear that a member of our staff provided incorrect information about our restaurant. Restaurant Soleil, located above the lobby on the second floor, offers breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, as well as 24 hour room service. Again, I am sorry for the misinformation.
We hope to serve you again,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I am a Starwood Preferred member so wanted to use the Westin, but it was pretty underwhelming and dingy. I had a room on the pool (small pool) and it looked like it had been ridden hard. The carpet was stained in many places. The air conditioning never cooled the room. The room itself was not up to Westin standards and needed a facelift. The lobby is pretty ok, and the pool was quaint. The room service and meals were worse than average, albeit edible. The location is good for Stanford, which is why I'm guessing this place stays busy. I've since stayed at the Four Seasons on my last trip, and of course there is no comparison. But here's the kicker -- I paid less for the Four Seasons than for the Westin. And the Four Seasons was flawless in every respect -- rooms, meal quality, pool, spa, business operations, etc. I'd rather pay double for the Four Seasons, but it was actually cheaper on this past trip. Oh, and the room next to me had a barking dog all day and night, which made for sleepless nights during critical business. Calls to the office were met with: "There's nothing we can do." Not even an apology or refund or free cocktail. A lot of hotels (including the Four Seasons) are booked for my upcoming trips, but I am trying hard not to stay at the Westin honestly. One positive other than the location: the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the pool unless you have kids and want a vacation day -- doors open to pool. The...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LegalEyeDallasTexas
Dear LegalEyeDallasTexas,
Thank you for your feedback via TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not live up to expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to make amends. Please reach out to me at tfleming@pahotel.com or by calling 650.321.4422 to allow us the opportunity. Although our rooms will be completely renovated at the end of the year, our intent is always to maintain the rooms until then and we will address your room accordingly.
I hope to hear from you.
Sun City West, Arizona
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I am a Starwood Platinum member and expected more from this hotel. Upon arrival (at the start of a holiday weekend/this is a business hotel), our "best room available" was a small room down the hall on the first floor next to the parking lot/train tracks. When I talked to the manager the next morning, she was aware of the situation but offered nothing more than a "sorry." Other Starwood properties, especially Westins, treat me like gold; this was not the case here. Also, the junior person checking us in offered a "welcome gift" of Starwood points, but didn't offer continental breakfast until I asked. Next time we'll go to a real hotel - the Rosewood Sand Hill up the street.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Soulefulltraveler
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear Soulefulltraveler,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor as it gives us the opportunity to address where we fell short. I am very sorry to hear that your SPG Platinum status was not appreciated and expectations not delivered upon appropriately. Please rest assured that this is not at all typical of our hotel and we will address it to ensure that it does not continue.
Thank you for staying with us and I truly hope that you give us another opportunity should you return to the area.
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Loved the hotel. Expensive, but the quality of the service I received made it worth every dollar. Conveniently located right in the heart of Palo Alto, right next to downtown. This is the place I will be staying whenever I am in the bay area. Thanks Westin!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Dear Michael Y.,
Thank you for the 5 star rating, we're honored and pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Best Regards,
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Westin is pretty nice and modern hotel. It's great for business trips.

Really close to Palo Alto's University Avenue, where you can find a bunch of restaurants. Usually I go to those restaurants instead of the one in the hotel, but I never tried it as well.

It is close to the Standford University and with easy access to US 101

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Artur S,
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent business trip to our hotel and have discovered many of the great restaurants on University Avenue. We are lucky to have so many great options so close by.
We hope to serve you again,
Stanford Park Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
#1 of 10 in Menlo Park
Hilton Garden Inn Palo Alto

Been to The Westin Palo Alto? Share your experiences!