“Beat place to stay with family. ”

The Westin Palo Alto
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

The Westin is by far our favorite place to stay while visiting Silicon Valley. The customer service here is spectacular. The lady who checked us in this evening was Roxan. The minute she knew we had two little kids with us, she quickly put together a care package for both of them. Of course, they were delighted! And when the kids are happy the parents are happy.

The Westin Palo Alto staff know how to take care of guests. We will keep coming back here over and over again.

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank RPI-Alum
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear RPI-Alum,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your most recent with us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words and compliments about our staff. I will definitely share it them. We hope to continue to serve you again on your visits to Palo Alto.

Best regards,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stay here 3-4 times a year solely because it's across the street from Stanford where I need to be for meetings, and I sorely wish there were a better option (the Sheraton has the same issues). The facilities are fine, but sadly the staff is completely indifferent, unhelpful and only marginally competent.

Most recent experience:
I'd booked a few weeks ahead of a trip to campus and didn't realize when booking that my reservation wasn't changable/cancelable (ok, my fault). I called to cancel the first night of my trip, but when I called was told that it I couldn't cancel and had to pay for the night anyway--but that they'd hold the room for me (fair, I'd paid...) and I'd get a bar credit (irrelevant given the price of the room, but a nice gesture). I was specific though: DON'T cancel me out -- I'll be there the second night.

What happened when I checked in?

Of course, my reservation was canceled. This, the front desk was clear, was my fault--I hadn't shown up the previous night. And of course there was no promised credit--in fact, the hotel tried to make me pay AGAIN for the reservation (since the first reservation, which I'd already paid for, was now marked canceled). After calling me a liar (they made me play the voicemail from Starwood promising that the room would be held for me to prove that I wasn't lying about having called before), I was given a much cheaper room with a broken thermostat. So I paid for three nights in one room and got two nights in a cheaper room that wasn't fully functional. Awesome.

No one did anything to try to correct the problems I encountered. The manager did everything possible to avoid talking to me. And no one ever even apologized to me for the mix up.

Unless you really have to stay there to be close to campus or something similar, I think you could do a lot better elsewhere (since on top of everything, they're not cheap)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Ed T
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Ed T.,
Thank you for your feedback via TripAdvisor. Please accept my apologies not only for the experience but also my delay in responding. Hopefully this situation has been remedied already. If it hasn't, please reach out to me directly so that it can be addressed with our team.
Best Regards,
Tanya F.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We were here for the weekend before a business stay for which had to change hotel (very unfortunately) and got an upgrade for a suite that was excellent. Spacious, very clean and quiet. Location is also excellent close to downtown Palo Alto and train station.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emmicim

Dear Emmicim,

Thank your for your five star rating on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased hear that you enjoyed your suite and found our location convenient for your travelling needs. We hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Palo Alto.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I needed to go to Stanford and I looked at various hotels in the area on Tripadvisor.com. The Westin was a little pricey but I ultimately choose it. What a great decision. My family and I pulled up to the front and we were promptly greeted by staff.

At the front desk was a nice guy named Junias? He spoke with an accent. He is a superstar who I would hire. If my prior reviews stand for something, it is that I expect employees in the service industry to be hospitable and provide great customer service and if not, my review will provide for a low rating. In this case, he went out of his way to be of service, answer questions, and make us comfortable. Westin management better keep an eye on him and how he treats guests. It is a great example of customer service.

The front lobby is beautiful and clean.

Parking is expensive and is a big minus in my book considering the high price of the rooms.

We asked for a quiet room as we had to sleep well and get up early to go to Stanford. We were provided a room which was away from noise and we had a great nights sleep. Only at one point did someone wake us up being loud in the hall.

The beds were very comfortable but, not the best I have every been in. However, the pillows were the best I have ever slept on. I woke up feeling like a million bucks. As always, when traveling with children, it is great when the beds can be rolled so that they can be moved against the wall to ensure small children do not roll off the bed.

The bathroom was large and there was a safe and refrigerator in the room. The shower had multiple heads with great water pressure and a separate bath. the bath was well stocked with supplies. Security seemed fine and they have a nice restaurant.

Our room had a lovely view of the courtyard.

I usually can find something bad about a hotel. The only thing I found that was lacking in the well cleaned room was the confusing and long walk from the elevator but, we had requested a quiet room so that is probably why we were so far away.

The location is good with shopping and food right down the street and is near Stanford.

Air conditioner had multiple settings which allowed us to set the room just right.

If you do not want a newspaper, just say so at the front desk when you check in.
I expect we will again stay at this hotel as the service and rooms were exceptional and I hope our next stay is just as good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Tripnexus,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of our property with the TripAdvisor community. I am pleased to read your compliments of Junius. He is a great asset to our team. I'm happy to hear that you liked your room and found the bathroom spacious. We look forward to serving you again the next time you return to visit Stanford.

Best,

Reviewed 8 November 2013

this hotel is a good business hotel at the hart of the silicon vally
it is always clean and comfortable with very good restaurant for breakfast with great service (i did not have other meals there)
i am an SPG member and if you do not stress that at check in you do not get the room you reserved and the treatment you deserve as a loyal customer in this hotel especially if you check in late at night.
prices lately have become very expensive.
wifi is chargeable here where in many hotels of this level it is free

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I come here often for business travel - I prefer this SPG property as opposed to their sister property next door the Sheraton.

Overall the rooms are good and the service is great.

Location is perfect as well: its walking distance to Stanford Univ and to University Ave.

Front desk attendant Rubina is the best - very courteous and always go above and beyond to help out.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We were all very happy with every aspect of our stay here. The service, location, quality and staff were top notch. We had a large group of rooms for a wedding with people traveling from around the globe. Everyone commented about how happy they were with the hotel and location. the Westin accommodated all our needs. We could not have been more pleased.

Room Tip: Grace Wang coordinated the rooms for a large wedding group and was excellent.