“Typical American”

Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Berlin
“Typical American”
Reviewed 27 June 2010

I stayed there for business reasons and looked from my room to a construction site. Also, nearby trains were sounding their horns regularly which made the stay not so pleasant. the layout of the hotel is a bit unusual so that you have to walk long ways to get to your room. But the rooms were clean and spacious.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 2 July 2010
Dear carpenoctemBerlin,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that your stay was not perfect in every regard, as this is our ultimate goal. Please feel free to contact me directly as I would appreciate the opportunity to make amends. We have a few rooms overlooking the construction and are pleased that the noise has decreased in recent weeks as the project progresses. We anticipate when the building is soon completed; having a structure there once again will minimize any noise from the nearby Caltrain. I look forward to hopefully hearing from you and we hope to serve you again.
General Manager, Westin Palo Alto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Laie, Hawaii
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We chose The Westin as our "mini-honeymoon" location because we only had 2 days left before going back to Hawaii. On our way to the hotel from the other side of the Bay Area, I called to inform them that we were going to be an hour late because of traffic. I let them know over the phone that it we got married and was wondering if they were able to do anything special.
Check-in was very quick and we were informed that we were upgraded to a suite free of charge and that a fresh fruit basket would be sent to our room. Awesome! It was so nice of them. The fruit was great.
The suite was amazing. Spacious and neat. The bed and shower were excellent as expected. Towels and bathrobes were great.
A couple hours after we checked out, we realized that we left something in the room. My husband drove back to the hotel and the front desk kindly gave him the room key and he went in and found what we forgot. Great service.

My only complaint was that there were 2 times when someone attempted to enter our room without our consent. First time was housekeeping a couple hours after we checked in (We didn't call for them, why would they come... the room shouldn't require more housekeeping after checking in, it should be ready). Second time, the person keyed in and tried to open the door; we weren't aware of who it was because we had the "flap lock" (you can open the door, but only a crack). It was a bit alarming and confusing. It would have been nice if they would call in advance alerting us of their arrival and their purpose. We could have had the "Do Not Disturb" sign displayed, but we didn't see it in the room or on the door.

Other than those 2 small instances, our stay at The Westin was wonderful and exceeded our expectations. The Westin is our top choice and we will continue to book stays here and in other Starwood hotels when the opportunity arises.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear hsuwimmer,
Thank you for spending part of your honeymoon with us and for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and have addressed the area of concern of the lack of a Do Not Disturb Sign for that room. It is true that hotel associates might access the room twice per day in order to refill the mini bar and to provide turndown service. I am very sorry for the inconvenience to you, please rest assured it has been addressed.
Warmest Regards and congratulations on your recent nuptuals,
General Manager, Westin Palo Alto
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 June 2010

had an enjoyable three night stay, the staff was helpful, rooms very comfortable, a nice walk from downtown Palo Alto

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 25 June 2010
Dear Smilered17,
Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know how we are doing. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I stayed at the Westin with my three young children. We have been living in hotels on the weekends while visiting my husband at the nearby VA hospital. The Westin is by far the most superior in cleanliness, professionalism, and accomodating a family. I was pleasantly surprised and relieved to know we were placed in a corner room. I already worry about my husband's health and did not need to worry about my children bothering other guests. The kids loved their "goody bag" complete with nightlight and rubber duck. Though the Westin is pricey and we are not able to stay every weekend (on an enlisted soldier's salary), their website has family packages that make it affordable for us to stay at least monthly. We will be enjoying our second stay at the Westin shortly and all of us look forward to it.

• Stayed May 2010
Dear Boatsswife,
Thank you for your note. We hope that your husband is fairing well. If there is anything at all that we can assist you with in the future, please do not hesitate to ask.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I booked a 3-night stay at the Westin Palo Alto for my parents to stay during Stanford graduation. I used Starwood points as the cash price of the hotel room was ~$500 per night (thanks Starwood credit card!)

The hotel has a boutique-y feel. With an intimate lobby and a string of small courtyards, the hotel feels much smaller than the neighboring Sheraton. It's very convenient to campus and the Caltrain. The staff took excellent care of us. We had a nice room with a patio where we could eat breakfast and have cocktails in the evening. I didn't use the pool, but it did seem a bit small.

Overall, great hotel, if you can afford it :-)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Dear Traveller94115,
Thank you for having your parents stay with us and for your review. As you noticed, Graduation at Stanford is the busiest time of the year for us which pushes the rates higher than all other weekends of the year. We look forward to hopefully serving your parents again in the future, perhaps during a more affordable weekend. (Weekends typically range from $129-189 per night throughout the year.)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 June 2010

It was a great stay especially because it was close to the Stamford Campus which is where my meetings took place. I also appreaciated the availability of 24 hour rooms service . I enjoyed cocktails with my colleagues.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Dear Ms. Hernandez,
Thank you for your comment. I'm pleased to hear you had a chance to enjoy our 24 hour room service and drinks with your colleagues in our Luna Lounge. We hope to serve you again and hopefully you'll have time for our breakfast buffet, featuring Superfoods, it's very popular with our guests.
Please let us know if we may assist you with anything in the future.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 May 2010

the staff are super awesome and eveready to assist. i did not have any issues at all. even room service was prompt and the food was excellent. would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone heading to palo alto. i cant imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 1 June 2010
Dear RG84,
Thank you for letting us know how we are doing - I will share it with our team immediately. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you again soon, please let us know if we can be of assistance to you.
Tanya Fleming
Stanford Park Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
#1 of 9 in Menlo Park
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel

Been to The Westin Palo Alto? Share your experiences!