“Wow, the hotel was excellent and the service/people were very nice”

The Westin Palo Alto
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
“Wow, the hotel was excellent and the service/people were very nice”
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I have to admit I was a little nervous about this Westin as I read one negative review. The facts are this is an excellent property with friendly and helpful service. We are neat and clean freaks and this property met all our needs. I would stay here again and the locations is excellent and walking distance to downtown and other resturants and shopping areas. My wife and I had a very nice stay and would return.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 20 August 2010
Dear Scottgot,
Thank you for your review. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the rest of our team.
We look forward to hopefully serving you and your wife again soon.
Tanya Fleming

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I recently stayed here during a business trip to Palo Alto. I had a very nice corner bedroom with a large bathroom.

My favorite things:
-Bathroom shower with double shower head. I want one.
-Large, fluffy, oh-so-comfy bed.
-Cleanliness. I hate dirty.

The hotel also had nicely decorated spaces with notable customer service.

NOT so favorite things:
-A bit pricier than other area hotels.
-$9.95 for 24 in-room internet connection. I actually got charged twice and only stayed there for a total of 8 hours.
-Small property (if that matters to you).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelBug-Chi
Dear TravelBug-Chi,
Thank you for your review of a few of your favorite things. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Heavenly Bed and Showers and the overall cleanliness of the hotel. I am very sorry that your were double-charged for a single day of internet use. This is not our intent and I would like to make the appropriate adjustment if you would contact me directly with your name and dates of stay. We attempt to proactively adjust off duplicate charges that our system posts for internet use on multiple devices and are sorry that yours fell through the cracks.
I look forward to hopefully hearing from you.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 August 2010

The Westin Palo Alto has become our preferred "home away from home" when we are in the Palo Alto area. We stayed at Stanford Park for several years, but it has lost its friendly service, atmosphere and value since it was sold a few years ago.
At the Westin we are welcomed at the front door and ease of check- in is appreciated. We can valet or self-park underground with direct access to the lobby.
Rooms have great beds; the bathrooms are spacious and have separate showers and bathtubs. Service is fast, efficient but not intrusive, and we love the chocolates on the pillow!
We enjoy reading the morning paper in our room, on one of the outside patios or in the lobby area while having a cup of Starbucks coffee available everyday in the lobby.
We have entertained friends often at Restaurant Soleil, ejoying drinks before or after dinner in the Lounge by the fire.
We can walk to downtown Palo Alto and Town & Country Village for shopping and eating, to Stanford Campus for games or other activities, and we can pop over to Stanford Shopping Center in a minute by car or spend the day in San Francisco.
While we have good reasons to come to Palo Alto several times a year, just coming to The Westin is almost reason enough for the trip!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Dear homeagain52,
Thank you for letting us know how we are doing. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and particularly the serene setting of one of our 5 Courtyards and Restaurant Soleil. We are very proud that Restaurant Soleil was ranked #1 of all North America Suburban Westin Restaurants in all categories last month. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, "all year" if you would like:o)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I started my stay here with about 90 minutes online with the tech support of the company that provides their internet connection. Really, I just wanted to be able to use the wired connection in the room, but somehow this wasn't working. Strange, but the solution that was eventually provided was the same solution another SPG hotel in Thailand gave me in about 10 minutes. Am I in Silicon Valley? (Of this, I am only rating the part that the wired connection should work when I come into the room.)

PROS:

-Great location near University Ave and Stanford Mall
-Generally quiet
-Professional secondary staff (valet, bellboy, etc)

CONS:

-Unprofessional front desk staff
-Cheap bathroom finishings
-No place to plug in your laptop. (The outlet is already filled with devices and not easily accessible like other SPG locations)
-Very small bathtubs. Are they for adults?
-Very small swimming pool (is there a theme going on?) No ratings deducted for this, as the hotel itself isn't that large.
-Awkward design of the room.
-Drafty front door. Covering the bottom with a towel does not prevent the cold air coming in around the door frame itself. (Poor design?) Leaves the bathroom cold
-Pay to park. (Why?)
-Overpriced room service. (About 30% more expensive than the Four Seasons I'm staying in currently.)

Other notes:

The lights in the room are all gas-based lights. A con for me but perhaps not for some. I want energy-efficient bulbs everywhere except where I'm trying to relax. Some people are quite sensitive to these lights (headache, fatigue, etc) and, besides that, they do not provide a warm glow. I felt as if I were in a hospital, with does not add to the comfortability of the room.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Dear ThohT,
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. There are items that I am certain can be remedied for the future and I would appreciate it if you would reach out to me directly with your name or room number so that this can be done. We pride ourselves on being a Certified Green Hotel and I hope that our more eco-friendly lighting and paper products were not the source of your dissatisfaction and would welcome further feedback on this. Again, I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about it.
Tanya
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Original we booked for valentine day and reserved a fireplace suite. When we called the day before to confirm we found out they change our room type to a standard room so we were very disappointed and cancelled our stay. So much for our valentines day.

However because we are spg members we know that the westins have the Heavenly beds. We have stayed at many westins but we really wanted to book @ the PA westin. So we finally made a second reservation but only standard room type was available.

Once we made it to the westin, we park (parking is $10) we walked in gave the the front desk our reservation #. They asked if we had any request and the only request we asked for was a room away from kids. They said that shouldn't be a problem. Well the next morning we were awaken by kids @ 6AM!!! It sounded as if they were playing with marbles. You could here the kids screaming and the marbles sliding back and forth. I am assumed the noise was because the wall between was their bathroom and our bedroom. So much for my request.

Overall the westin was nice crisp and clean. I really enjoy the heavenly beds minus the kids in the next room.

• Stayed August 2010
Dear Starwood_Elites,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear of the disruption during your stay and that we failed to find a quieter area for you. This is not typical of our property and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss it with you in person in hopes of making amends, please contact me at your leisure.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Tanya
Edgewood, Washington
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I've never had a bad stay at the Westin Palo Alto. If you are looking for clean and comfortable, this is the place.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 23 July 2010
Dear PurpleRadish,
Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Warmest Regards.
Northern California
Reviewed 13 July 2010

We stayed in a suite for our wedding night. The room and surroundings were beautiful. The bed was large and comfy, the furnishings beautiful, the service professional. We loved the doubled-headed shower (actually four heads, two on each side).

Some people have commented that you can hear the train noise at all hours. We heard nothing in our suite so I guess it depends on location within the hotel.

The hotel is co-owned with the Sheraton next door, and guests can use it's facilities and even charge to your Westin room - a nice touch because the Sheraton has a nicer pool and poolside restaurant.

Three small negatives - the layout is a warren of hallways and you might need a Sherpa to find the lobby. Also, be aware that the areas outside your window on the first floor can be walked right up to from outside, and when you reach your room the blinds might not be drawn. You should make sure that you draw all the blinds at night. Finally, parking is about $15/day, which is unusual in this area as most hotels provide free parking.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, 16 July 2010
Dear AndytheGameInventor,
Thank you for staying with us and congratulations on your recent nuptuals. We are thrilled to have been part of your honeymoon and that you enjoyed your stay. Please let us know if we may play a part in future anniversary celebrations in years to come.
All the best,
#1 of 9 in Menlo Park
Creekside Inn
Creekside Inn
#6 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to The Westin Palo Alto? Share your experiences!