“Great experience at the Westin”

The Westin Palo Alto
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 22 December 2010

Stayed here for four days on business. Got in at 4am Toronto time and met with exceptionally helpful and cheerful staff. Rooms spacious, bathroom enormous, everything spotless, beds were the most comfortable things I've ever slept in.

Didn't get a chance to hit the gym, but coworker said it was pretty good as far as hotel gyms go.

I will definitely stay again next time I'm in Palo Alto.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2010

Dear essteeyou,
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We're pleased you found such a warm reception in the middle of the night, you must have been exhausted! We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 9 December 2010

Had a wonderful time at the Hotel recently and I loved the staff, the service and the ambiance of the hotel lobby. The rooms are beautiful and the beds are very comfortable.
We stay there when my wife and I want to visit the area, as we live 50 miles away and like to stay overnight.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2010

Dear Tommy014,
Thank you for your review and sharing your experience with others. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Palo Alto soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2010

I stay in hotels 50+ nights a year, usually at 4 star properties. The Westin Palo Alto is one of the best hotels I have stayed in this year. It is in excellent condition. Its rooms are well-furnished. Its staff is friendly and professional. Its restaurant and room service are very good. It is a refreshingly quiet hotel (with the exception of low train noise).

The Westin Palo Alto does not look like much from the busy street on which it sits. The property is somewhat close to the street, traffic whizzes by and there are no restaurants within walking distance other than perhaps the Sheraton that is next door.

However, once I parked in the drop off area, I was immediately greeted by a friendly and helpful staff member. Inside the hotel, the lobby is small but very clean and in very good condition. The front desk staff person was friendly, professional and efficient. My room was on the top floor (5th floor), at the back of the hotel. It was quite a long walk from the elevator to the room but the good thing was that I was able to see that the entire hallway, from the carpet to the paint, was in excellent condition. It was also remarkably quiet.

The room itself was a standard-sized hotel room but had a large bathroom. The condition of the room was excellent except for a slight stain on the carpet. The room had a good desk and chair for working. The bathroom was tiled with marble and granite and had a separate shower and separate tub.

Self-parking in the garage underneath the hotel was easy. The cost was $10 per night.

I ate in the dining room for lunch. The food was very good. The service was excellent.

I had room service for dinner and breakfast. The food was good. The service was timely and excellent.

The only two negatives about my stay were that from my room near the back of the hotel I could hear the train that goes past the back of the hotel and internet is $9.95 a day (instead of free as many hotels now offer).

In short, I would certainly stay at the Westin Palo Alto again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Dear accidentaltrvlr,
Thank you very much for your feedback, we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon. I am sorry that you could hear the train from your room and hope that it was not too disruptive to you. Even though our location is convenient to the Palo Alto train station (less than a 5 minutes walk), a majority of our rooms are virtually silent and no train noise can be detected. We would welcome the opportunity to place you in one of those rooms in the future, please feel free to ask if you are returning to our hotel. Again, thank you for the fantastic feedback!

Reviewed 16 November 2010

I stayed here three nights a week for 3 months. It's a decent business hotel with nice, updated room and showers. The staff is great -- very friendly and not overly formal. They always remember your face, if not your name.

The service food is very, very average, and I would highly recommend taking the short walk to University Ave for food. The outdoor pool is small and the gym is even smaller. But again, this really isn't destination hotel. It does its job (although the rates are crazy for a fairly basic hotel where self parking is $10/night). I'd say the hotel's best qualities are its proximity to Stanford's campus and its friendly staff. I haven't stayed at the Sheraton next door, but it's probably worth a look.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Dear Mangoriver,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and would welcome an opportunity to discuss where we fell short in our food and beverage offering. We are always striving to improve and feedback such as this is critical in doing so. My email is tfleming@pahotel.com. We hope to welcome you again soon and again thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed 4 November 2010

The Westin Palo Alto delivers an unbeatable combination of location, comfort, service., and price. From its Heavenly Bed to its well-used pool area and restaurant, the Westin has what it takes to to meet the needs of the business or vacation traveler. If you are in the hot tub, it is not unusual to meet people who live just 15 or 20 miles away and come to the Westin for a little R and R on the weekend.

From the Westin, both the town and the campus are just a short walk down University Drive.

The rooms are more spacious than those at the more "tony" Garden Court, and the lighting better for the business traveler. The Four Seasons cannot compete with the Westin's location.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2010

Dear Lupirob,
Thank you for the glowing review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our location. We hope to see you again really soon.

Reviewed 27 October 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the Westin Hotel in Palo Alto on several occasions while visiting our daughter at Stanford. We have always had the most wonderful experience. However, this past Sept. 23rd through Oct. 12th our daughter was very sick and needed to be hospitalized for several weeks at Stanford University Hospital and Lucile Packard. The Westin Hotel came to our rescue. Not only did they find room for us during an extremely busy time but they accommodated us in every way they could. They took a personal interest in my daughters health. They not only asked every time they saw us as to how she was doing, but they sent a lovely note with a fruit basket to our room as well. Everyone at the front desk bent over backwards to help us including Caroline, Jonathan and Sam. Matthew from Room Service and all the behind the scenes workers that helped us with electrical cords, additional lighting and such went over and above the call of duty. Thank you so much. The hotel has always been a very clean, extremely comfortable and well located facility but after what they've done for us, I can honestly say that I will forever consider them our 'home away from home'! My family and I will be forever grateful to the Westin Hotel and their incredibly, wonderful staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2010

Dear IssyUSA,
Thank you for your review and for being loyal guests of the Westin Palo Alto. I hope that your daughter is fairing much better now. We will share this feedback with our entire team and particularly those you mentioned (I know they will be delighted to hear it!). We look forward to seeing you again soon for a much less stressful visit.

Reviewed 18 October 2010

I actually LIVE in Palo Alto, but had to be away from home for a night because of work being done at my house. I chose the Westin because its rate that night was better than any comparable hotel, but now I would stay there regardless of the rate. It is a truly appealing, cozy, quiet, comfortable hotel in a wonderful location close to Stanford and downtown Palo Alto. It may sound funny but the corridors are lovely, light, and appealing (you know how dark and yucky many hotel corridors can be), and my room and bath were attractive, very quiet and extremely comfortable. The staff at the desk was friendly and efficient. (I didn't try the restaurant) I like my house, but I didn't want to leave the Westin! I would choose the Westin again for myself, or for friends and family. I think that the Sheraton next door might be a better choice for families with kids, but for adults, I'd choose the Westin.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo

Dear patientcat,
Thank you very much for your feedback, we're pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to hopefully seeing you again during future projects and please let us know if we can help with friends or family coming in from out of town. We think they'll find most weekend rates particularly attractive.