Stanford Terrace Inn
Dinah's Garden Hotel(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
US$228
Dinahs Garden
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
US$259
US$250
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
Hotel Parmani(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$124
US$113
US$97
US$535
  • Restaurant
The Zen Hotel(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
US$250
  • Pool
US$514
US$503
  • Restaurant
Country Inn(Palo Alto)(Great Value!)
US$157
Travelocity
All reviewsstanford campusyogurtactual roomunderground garageboiled eggscalifornia avecomplimentary breakfast isspacious roomsheraton
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 May 2011

The hotel was in a perfect location. It was convenient to both the Stanford campus(Taube Tennis Stadium) and downtown restaurants. The room was perfect for what I needed for my business trip(15 night stay). It was extremely spacious and had a kitchenette which allowed me to get a few groceries. The morning breakfast was awesome every morning with waffles, fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee, etc. I would highly recommend staying here and I will definitely be back in the future

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Stayed here for a conference at Stanford. The rooms were remodeled and very clean (although reading about a bedbug problem just now feels a bit creepy, as it were). That's about it for the positive aspects.

This is not a professionally-run hotel. The staff is terrible! Extremely unhelpful - displaying a "You've obviously mistaken me for someone who cares" attitude. We checked in to find out our window faced the (tiny) workout room. I asked for a different room, since my son was going to be spending much of the day there while I went to the conference. This was late at night, we were both tired. So the person at the front desk gave us another room. We walked all the way over there, with our luggage, only to find out it faced a wall! Now granted, I did not explicitly say "Please give me a room that does not face a wall" but this being Palo Alto, you'd think some of the high IQ would rub off and the staff would realize you wanted a view (or something other than a wall or sweaty people). Next item: I had to get up very early and I was about to make coffee in the room, when I realized it was decaf. So I went to the lobby to get real coffee. The guy at the front desk spent a few minutes looking, and then said he'd have to go look for it. He never came back. In the meantime, the lady who was getting the breakfast ready informed me that they have no real coffee for the rooms. "Didn't get delivered". Again, communicating with every word and tone a "What's your problem" attitude, when I expressed surprise at this. Next item: We too faced the shuttle 24 hour advance reservation issue, but managed ok with that. However, when we asked if we could be picked up, that was another story. No can do. Next item: We forgot toothpaste, so I sent my son to get some at the front desk. He came back saying the lady was very unfriendly and charged him $5. For a toothpaste and little toothbrush. Sheesh - for 180/night, you'd expect to get a free toothpaste. You can get that at Motel 8. Last but not least, it is very noisy!!! You hear every person walking by with their roller suitcases, hear every word of their conversation. The breakfast was terrible. The "croissants" were so rubbery and nasty, I took one bite and just threw it away.

We could have put up with some of the annoyances, but the rudeness and unhelpfulness of the staff were inexcusable. We won't stay here again or recommend it. In fact, I will get in touch with the professional society that suggests hotels for our conference and ask that this place be removed from the list of recommended hotels.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
8  Thank PetFriendlyVA
Reviewed 18 February 2011

The room had a really weird air ventilation system and it was really cold! You can turn on the heater, but it is really loud. I got woken up by a loud noise 5 am and the management couldn't do anything about it. The noise just kept turning on and off.

The rooms are newly remodeled and look good. Don't rely on the management to provide advice. I asked them for advice on a place to eat and they just mentioned to go to the downtown area.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank AS123_11
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Watch out for this hotel. Your stay might be fine if you do not need any help from the staff, but if you do, don't hold your breath that they will help you or that they even will want to help you. I needed help with something that I was told only the manager could make a decision on (leaving earlier than my original reservation), and yet I was told the manager was not around nor could she be reached in any way by the staff. "She does not like it when we call her on the mobile phone" I was told by the staff. So this means that the hotel operates with no manager on duty! Pretty remarkable in 2011. And, by the way, I left a message for the manager. Guess if she ever got back to me...yes you are right, she never did. Plus I had been told she would show up later in the afternoon. Guess if she did, or if anyone called me back? You are right, she did not show up and no one did contact me. At 9:30 the front desk told me they have no idea when the manager might show up.

So, I was kept in limbo the whole day with absolutely no effort to resolve my question. You can fill in the blanks and figure out how this might translate to the rest of your visit at this hotel. Want to make a reservation for a local ride with the complimentary van that is adverised? "Oh, well for that you will need to make a reservation at least 24 hours in advance." Well, might it be possible for later today? "Oh, no there absolutely are no exceptions; it simply is our policy". You get the idea....

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
9  Thank loh25
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago with a friend who was on business. We had a large twin room overlooking the pool and it was really spacious. There were 2 really good, comfortable beds, as well as a wing chair and foot rest, a desk and chair, a fridge, microwave, a massive wardrobe and the tv was good quality with a good signal too. All this was not enough to fill a huge room which was immaculately clean and well kept - with the bed linen and towels being stand out.
I had none of the problems the previous reviewer had with the pool and we were right next to it. The only problem was the noise from the room above. It was only foot steps through the ceiling but they were distinctive and could have kept me awake...fortunately those above didn't move around much so it was no problem really.
The complimentary breakfast was a nice touch and, although I only ate the boiled eggs, everyone seemed to enjoy the make your own waffles as well as the fresh fruit and yoghurt. Good coffee too !!
If you do stay here, try the Sundance steak restaurant across the road.....I had the best steak of my life there !!
All in all it was a very good experience and the last reviewer giving such a low rating based on someone's poorly disciplined children is poor form. It's a must for anyone looking at Stanford with their kids.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends