“Okay”

GreenLeadersGold level
McLean, VA
“Okay”
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

This was a strange place. Staff was very nice and rooms were big but outdated. As many have stated it was over priced and I agree. I chose to stay here because they have a nice pool that really saved me on two days. They have tried to pick the place up with TONS of plants everywhere. That was nice but they are watered on a system, and then there is water all over the floor. I'm surprised they pass inspection or whatever. Most importantly, while the location is great to drive into Stanford, it's too far to walk. I wonder if there are closer hotels.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank gmogrady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The good: huge rooms, great location, good parking, very decent breakfast

The bad: rooms and hotel in general need updating, photos make it look better than it is. There are hundreds of potted plants all over and water everywhere. Lobby smells funny. Overpriced too. Feels like a weird hotel in China.

Just too expensive for what it is.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelAlotCA
Philomath, Oregon
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I was staying here for a meeting - not my choice. It was really a strange place. The birds in cages made me uncomfortable. I felt sorry for them. The lobby was way too perfumy smelling and my room smelled like my great-grandmother's farmhouse basement with the dirt floor -- like something in the root cellar was past it's prime. My room was so noisy. It was close to an ice machine so there was a lot of traffic and the stairs went right above my head. I did not get much sleep. Luckily it was only for two nights. I would not stay here again. Most hotels will give you a free toothbrush if you forget yours -- here they charge you $4. The sign about not going in the pool if you have diarrhea was just bizarre. The creepy factor was too high.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Dianna97370
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room when I checked in. The free wifi functioned perfectly in my room. The staff was friendly and I loved the free breakfast. Although this is an old hotel, the management has made it a comfortable and very pleasant base for me when I am in the Stanford University vicinity.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 68PeterK68
Atlanta
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This is the creepiest hotel that I have ever stayed in. The place is filled with over grown plants and there are bugs and standing water everywhere. We actually had a "bug zapper" on the floor outside our room. If you book here, you will regret it. A voice in your head will say, "I should have listened to that review that I read." I swear that that plant from Little Shop of Horrors is lurking somewhere!

Hotel desk staff was not truthful with us when I called 2 days before and asked about a room, they said they had none, which I knew was not true since I was on their website and booked after I got off the phone with them. They charged us $239 after telling us it would be $229 and the guests in front of us checked out at $108.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank mgmcdev

Travellers are raving about these Palo Alto hotels

Beijing
Reviewed 3 July 2013

The Stanford Terrace Inn has a great location if you are visiting Stanford (right opposite the campus) and the rooms are large and comfortable. Overall, the hotel itself is of average quality and is somewhat overpriced (but then again so is the whole Palo Alto area so it is not just this hotel). The waffle maker for breakfast is a fun twist, especially if traveling with children, and the breakfast itself is generally good (the coffee is somewhat disappointing but there is a Starbucks next door). The hotel has a pool which seems to be seldom used as the water is cold and the pool itself is small. One nice touch is the back section of the hotel has a lovely little garden area which is a great place to sit and read or do emails in the afternoon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
San Ramon, California
Reviewed 12 June 2013

It is amazing what $249 will not buy in Palo Alto. Although the location is convenient to everything Stanford, the overall maintenance of this property is very disappointing. A toilet unable to flush toilet paper? Seriously? The staff are friendly, and the room was clean, but the hallways are overstuffed with potted plants, and a parrot cage off the elevator was disconcertingly creepy. I would not recommend this location, nor will I stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel in the region.