“noisy, poor customer service, overpriced”

Stanford Terrace Inn
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 October 2013

For the cost of this place, even if the rooms are not updated, i would have expected good customer service. First, the place: i'd say that the rooms were spacious, with a kitchenette but not that comfortable: floors were cold, the lighting was dim. But the biggest complaint i have is the noise. I was on the first floor, and i could hear hallway traffic all night, as well as occasional noise from the guests upstairs. And then, in the morning, the adjacent room's TV was heard starting at 6am, it was a spanish novella type show so lots of shouting and drama coming thru the wall. So the when i'm checking out, I mention to the person at the desk the noise issue and he says he's sorry but the he'll check with his manager for compensation. I hear nothing for 2 days, so i call back. Again, the person at the front desk (different person) says she has no idea of the problem, the person i talked to is not there, please call back he is back on. i try calling back again 3 days later, and again am told the 1st person i talked is not there. None of these people take ownership to resolve my issue, even if its to tell me that there's nothing they will do. This is poor customer service and i don't have much reason to ever come back. Not to mention they also have a demanding reservation policy in that I had to pay 1 night's stay just to hold a reservation and the cancellation policy was 72 hrs. One positive note: they do have a nice complimentary organic breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BLTG

Reviewed 20 September 2013

I was really surprised at how overpriced all of the hotels were in palo alto so I chose this one as it was on the "cheaper" side but in the thick of things. The room was enormous and I liked that it had a fridge and microwave. The decor in the room is a bit outdated, but fine. The sheer number of plants is a bit overwhelming. They could easily get rid of half of them and make it look a lot nicer. If this wan my only option in my price range, I would stay again but I would make an effort to look everywhere else first. The staff was super friendly and it is quite easy to get to Stanford though.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions. But no more. The room prices have doubled over the last couple of years with no corresponding improvement in quality. At almost $300 a night for a room, comparable hotels in the area are now less expensive and substantially better hotels are only a bit more.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Hap459
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This was a strange place. Staff was very nice and rooms were big but outdated. As many have stated it was over priced and I agree. I chose to stay here because they have a nice pool that really saved me on two days. They have tried to pick the place up with TONS of plants everywhere. That was nice but they are watered on a system, and then there is water all over the floor. I'm surprised they pass inspection or whatever. Most importantly, while the location is great to drive into Stanford, it's too far to walk. I wonder if there are closer hotels.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank gmogrady
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The good: huge rooms, great location, good parking, very decent breakfast

The bad: rooms and hotel in general need updating, photos make it look better than it is. There are hundreds of potted plants all over and water everywhere. Lobby smells funny. Overpriced too. Feels like a weird hotel in China.

Just too expensive for what it is.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelAlotCA
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I was staying here for a meeting - not my choice. It was really a strange place. The birds in cages made me uncomfortable. I felt sorry for them. The lobby was way too perfumy smelling and my room smelled like my great-grandmother's farmhouse basement with the dirt floor -- like something in the root cellar was past it's prime. My room was so noisy. It was close to an ice machine so there was a lot of traffic and the stairs went right above my head. I did not get much sleep. Luckily it was only for two nights. I would not stay here again. Most hotels will give you a free toothbrush if you forget yours -- here they charge you $4. The sign about not going in the pool if you have diarrhea was just bizarre. The creepy factor was too high.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Dianna97370
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room when I checked in. The free wifi functioned perfectly in my room. The staff was friendly and I loved the free breakfast. Although this is an old hotel, the management has made it a comfortable and very pleasant base for me when I am in the Stanford University vicinity.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple